Reviews for Feathers Black as Winter Midnight
Psyche Sinclair chapter 1 . 5/15/2012
I like the imagery, and the lyrical momentum of the story. It's like a old Irish fairy tale, in so many ways.

Thank you for sharing it with us.
Kazic chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
Boy am I glad you haven't given up on Dragon Age. This was, as always, great. I love history and philosophy, even when you are talking about an imaginary world. The relationship between the Chantry and magic is a complex tapestry, whose depths I love to plumb.

Your herb wife is definitely correct: the Chantry's unyielding laws concerning mages creates an atmosphere in which maleficar and apostates are bound to show up. A lone mage, frightened by the world, is definitely prone to the guild temptation of blood magic; though I would argue also if blood magic is inherently bad. The Chantry itself uses it with the phylacteries, which always makes me laugh, because it is so hypocritical. What's more, if we believe the widow, and since she spares a template she has no reason to I am inclined to do so, her husband, while an apostate, was a harmless one. Healing people isn't the sign of an Uldred: obsessed with power.

Also it's arrogant and unfair of the Chantry to assume their way is the only way. Morrigan says in DA:O that there are other traditions of magic besides the Circle, and that they manage to stay relatively maleficarum free. What it's really about is control, and nothing less.

It's ironic, because I am almost sure that's not what Andraste intended when she said magic was meant to serve man, not to rule over him. To draw a real world comparison: it's reminds me of the "slaves obey your masters" bit in the bible. Taken out of context a phrase can be used as a weapon and justification for some deplorable things.

Anyway I have droned on enough, I loved it, and hope you continue to write more in the Dragon Age universe. Two questions before I leave you alone: 1. Was this set in the same timeline as your last set of stories? It seems to just be in the regular Dragon Age time line, not your alternate one. 2. Are we ever going to get a story not based on a mage? I think I mentioned before I'd love to see your take on the Cousland character, particularly a female one. I always feel like few Queen Cousland stories are as deep as they could be(not that that's where your Cousland would end up); maybe I should write one .
Gene Dark chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
Creepy, vivid, and interesting. I like Deryn and hope to see this continued...
mille libri chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
Creepy and chilled to perfection! Deryn is a unique and intriguing personality, and the moment when the mage reveals itself is charged with tension. Well done!
gamingbookworm chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
Yeah the problem with magic is the part where people "get in the way" and end up dead without the wielder meaning too. Deryn probably doesn't mind the revenge, but killing the rest of the squad for that one man... It probably was a very bad idea to show that she was a mage by using blood magic. Not only an apostate but a malificar? It's like Aliss wants Deryn to chase after her. Oh wait... sequel please?
Jenna53 chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
Very good, are you going to continue this? I always enjoy your stories, they generally have a lot of depth. Thanks.
Tattoo'd chapter 1 . 2/2/2012
Hmm...I'm intrigued! Please continue! Loving it so far! Very vivid imagery!