Reviews for Hands Not Meant To Shed Blood
Proud Pancake of Prussia chapter 1 . 2/9
That was amazing. I like how you did Italy in this fanfic. He can fight but that doesn't mean he wants to. thank you
Quiteokayish chapter 1 . 10/10/2016
I'm a slut for angst fics but after a while the same "low self esteem, reconciling and kissing it better" trope wears on me. This is the first one I've read in a long time that actually hurt me- like my heart was physically hurting and I was crying like a baby. This fic satisfied me in so many ways for so many reasons and I'm sorry if my review ends up being longer than the story itself because jesus christ it was fantastic. It broke the norm that comes with angsty one shots and gerita fics in general. I'm not dissing on other authors/fics here, god knows I've written my fair share of fics that fit the mold, but yours, oh god. It's brilliant.
I'm afraid most authors (including myself at times) write these characters as two dementional- as the stereotypes they are portrayed with. Germany is always written as stoic and grumpy but beneath it all caring and loving. However, its a fine line to walk when writing him, since you don't want him to be too icy or too mushy. This was perfect though, because you keep the distanced, naivety that Germany has when it comes to emotional circumstances, but it slowly and perfectly breaks down into him caring for amd helping Italy in his own way. I loved how it wasn't "Germany immediately rushed to his side" when he found Italy, but instead it was: "Germany stepped carefully over the bodies until he reached where Italy lay. He wound his arms around the trembling nation and hefted him up easily, taking them both back to his house." because at first Germany wouldn't know what to do in this situation, but he'd know he has to help Italy, so he does so without it being over dramatic and sappy. (Also, all of the "oh Italy"s were a nice touch. I don't know why but i just fucking love that) he then goes about the physical healing, because thats what he knows best, and he bathes Italy and cleans his wound and stitches him up and puts him to bed, because he doesn't know what to do to stop Italy from being so upset, so he just does what he can and it fits his character so well. Then when he wakes up and Italy is trying to get the blood off of his hands (a scene inwhich I was covered in goosebumps) he just fucking goes to him and stops him and does the only thing he can do, and hugs him. And Oh God-just wait until I get started on Italy.
Italy is also dangerously tempting to portray as two dimentional- or worse, out of character. The Italy we usually see is innocent and kind and happy go lucky and just all around a good person, a complete ray of sunshine, but thats not all he is, and a lot of fics seem to forget that he can be unstable and he can have dark times as well. (I'm soooooo guilty of that one.) what i hate even worse however, is when some fics change his character. Its easy to cross the line between believeable characterization and dark characterization. Too often a time Italy is portrayed as having two personalities, as if his happiness is all a facade to hide how miserable he is. (Nothing wrong with fics like that, it's just hard for me to swallow personally) or they portray his goodness as a flaw or weakness. But when Italy asked Germany if he "did good" by killing all those men Germany is just at a loss, because being a skilled fighter is a good asset, and being smart and tactical and analytical is a good thing, fuck, a great thing. The world seems to forget however that being soft and sweet and kind and helpful are just as good, or maybe even better. Italy's worth isn't in his fighting, and Germany realizes that. Not because he's not good at it (he obviously is) but because that's just not who he is. Italy was never meant to do those things, and he was never a coward for resisting them in the past because he is just so so so good in his own way and being good is the best way for him to contribute to the world. And y'all just fucked me up when Germany woke up to him trying to scrub the blood off of his hands. Their interactions start of with dead eyes and "hey i killed these people" to panic and "jesus what have I done" and its just so perfect because even though people want him to be tougher and good at fighting Italy doesn't want that, he's fucking horrified with himself. And Germanys horrified too, because he was the one that had been telling Italy all this time that he needs to be tougher and stronger ready to fight and it was because of him that Italy killed all of those people- and he realizes he never wanted that Italy, because that wasn't who he is.
Still fucking sobbing over here, don't mind me. Thanks so much for this fantastic story and I hope my review did it some justice.
Polly Little chapter 1 . 8/14/2016
You did very well with the mental imagery.
love y'all chapter 1 . 7/5/2016
I love this, but do you think you could maybe make a sequel or update, maybe using one of these or a combination if that's okay?
A. Hear Germany tell Italy about how he would have died and Italy doesn't feel so bad

B. Maybe made a scene where Italy is actually killing the people, where he's just kind of like 'Wow, Germany really isn't here to save me now' and realizes that Germany could die without his help?

C. Even though Italy hated killing at first, he kind of goes a bit numb while killing the soldiers after the first few shots, but once it's over he kind of just suddenly takes everything in, all the dead bodies around him, the gun in his hand, and the blood and so he starts shaking and that's when Germany finds him.

Even though this review isn't even that long, I normally don't put a lot in reviews, but I absolutely love, *love*, *LOVE* your account. Take this as a compliment! Love y'all! 3
KAMtheDork chapter 1 . 6/7/2016
Oh my lord the feels! ;-; So well done though! Thank you for sharing the wonderful story with us! :)
Crimson cat angel chapter 1 . 5/26/2016
Love
Vocaloidlover82 chapter 1 . 10/4/2015
THE FEELS IN THIS. I TEARED UP READING THIS
TotalFangirl985782 chapter 1 . 9/13/2015
Is it bad that when Italy was scrubbing his hands with the wire brush I wasn't really sad because all I could think about was Lady Macbeth going "Out Damned Spot!" After she killed the king? I'm terrible.
But this story is amazing. . . . . I wish I could write like that.
HelloI'mOz chapter 1 . 3/14/2015
That made me cry.
Guest chapter 1 . 11/23/2014
Noooooo my feels are gone again please give back by my feels
Never mind take them 100.00
mymothersdaughter chapter 1 . 8/20/2014
Oh dear god, by the end I was crying and grinning like an idiot at the same time. Very well done, I absolutely loved it.
Never Ending Nightmare chapter 1 . 6/23/2014
I'm crying. That's all I have to say.
Nimi-shi chapter 1 . 3/30/2013
That was one of the most freaking depressing things I have ever read in my life. It was brilliant - you almost had me crying there. I've been looking for a fic like this for a while: congrats on being the one who wrote this. They were so in-character! I loved it.
ChocolateSwirl chapter 1 . 8/13/2012
sad but sweet i love it
PilsenPiloswine chapter 1 . 6/5/2012
The plot was really good.

I loved how you put in evidence characters' behavior changes due to the strong psychological pressure.

I found this story so original and well written.

good job )