Reviews for Trying to Connect
Smile-I'mTheEndOfAllThatYouSee chapter 1 . 9/20/2015
This is a very interesting take
Ky-lassassin chapter 1 . 4/9/2012
i really like the concept of this - i honestly never really thought of the flaws of the batman/robin relationship, and you definitely do a good job of pointing them out. it's hard to remember that dick's still a kid in addition to being robin, and it's so bittersweet because bruce is emotionally unable to reach out. you switch tenses throughout the fic, which makes it kind of jarring to read, but that's really the only criticism i have. and i love alfred. (: i really liked how in character everyone seemed to be and the realistic...ness of these scenarios!
Sloan33 chapter 1 . 4/7/2012
Okay. The pure, raw emotion in this shocks me. I always felt sorry for Dick, having to live with an emotionally unattached man such as Bruce Wayne. That's probably why I connected to Bruce more quickly than the other characters; I have the same awkward estrangement. (word?) I can't connect with others emotionally eaasily, and it frusterates me. I can only imagine what it's like to live with a child who has nightmares nightly. I only hope Dick understands that Bruce doesn't mean to be cold. Thanks for broaching this subject, though that's probably not what you were aiming for.
Rosawyn chapter 1 . 3/23/2012
I think I'd like this more if it wasn't for the prompt being stated. Because the prompt itself seems to intentionally contradict the actual canon as we see it in the show. The fic itself, though, isn't as bad as the prompt makes it out to be. XD Because I don't think Robin ever claimed that Bruce coddled him, and honestly, he's 13, not 3; Robin might be hard pressed to find *any* father who'd "hug him to sleep" after a nightmare. I guess the only problem I have with the actual fic is that I don't believe Robin is in character. And with the prompt being what it is, I guess that was inevitable, unless you were going to change Bruce's character even more. So I guess I really should be praising your ability to take a rather difficult prompt and make the best of it. :/
Marie Nomad chapter 1 . 3/21/2012
Wow, that is sad. I know that Bruce has to actually connect with young Dick but at least he's trying. Bruce needs to deal with his own demons before he could help the kid out. The POV was sad and short but to the point.

Nice job.
Little-Yet-Fierce chapter 1 . 2/21/2012
So ... I wanted to say cute but that's not it. But it is good.

Hope to see more chapters, yes ,no, maybe so. I really liked the story.

Keep writing

~Em
Aguna chapter 1 . 2/12/2012
Damn this One-Shot is perfect.
PrincessLazyPants chapter 1 . 2/10/2012
I like how Bruce was more distant from Robin in this story. It's a refreshing idea compared to other Dick and Bruce stories.
ARL15 chapter 1 . 2/5/2012
Great story! This was very realistic, no first time parent/guardian is going to be the ideal father-figure, especially someone like Bruce who has forgotten what it's like to be a kid!
Anon chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
I loved this! Dick has always needed physical contact, and honestly, Bruce isn't gonna give it to him. I thought you showed another side of their relationship very well. I love daddyBats! just as much as the next person, but I don't find it very realistic. This was very in character for me at least. And you're thinking of filling some prompts? AHHHH, please do! You're a really good writer and they're so many unfilled ones. Robin's my favorite too so I'm looking forward to them. Post them here too please!
The Official Girl Wonder chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
This is awesome and so realistic. A lot of writers, myself included, make Bruce seem like an ideal father figure. I think we forget about the actual emotional distance between Bruce and Dick that was established in the comics. Nice work.
Miss Kells Bells chapter 1 . 2/4/2012
That was a great story. It's cool to see Bruce as being unavailable to Robin. In YJ and the fandom he seems like the most fatherly of any Batman but even if he's fatherly now we all know he had to spend some time opening up his emotions so he could raise a kid. I picturing this as being shortly after Robin's parents death, maybe a year after. Nicely done and great character interpretation.