Reviews for One Good Turn
Rohini Bhatt chapter 1 . 8/21
really nice story. Is there follow up that they come back after amnesty?
good luck and keep writing good stuff.
Silvery chapter 28 . 11/13/2012
Review for all 28 chapters. One of the very few good AS&J stories I've read. Many other writers seem to rely on torture, pain inflicted by others, bad language or general nastiness. sometimes I only read a part of a story before I quit in disgust. I do appreciate getting to read a really good story to the finish, and a long one at that. Thank you!
Ghislaine Emrys chapter 28 . 9/1/2012
Gosh, is this the end of the story? Seems like it could be, or it could continue on a bit more. Asa sure is a wise person-he knows there's more to the boys than meets the eye but he also knows enough not to pry. I really liked the whole exchange of gifts section-everything given was so appropriate.

One thing, though: When the boys are about to give Ginny and Will their gifts, Kid says "C'mon, Heyes..." I'm wondering if that was an error or some kind of subtle foreshadowing.
Ghislaine Emrys chapter 27 . 9/1/2012
Nice, introspective chapter here. Asa is a wonderful character-lots of depth to him. It would be interesting to hear the conversation he has with Mrs. Reed when he gives her the letter.
skykomish1 chapter 28 . 8/23/2012
Great Job, Evey! I have enjoyed this story from beginning to end. There is a quiet realism in the writing that really appeals to me. Asa is a great character as are all the members of the Reed family. The ending was just right. I liked Asa struggling with lying to Mrs. Reed, and Heyes and the Kid grappling with their own less than honorable behavior. Thank you for sticking with this until the end. I would love to read a sequel where they encounter the Reed family again, maybe after amnesty. Clapping loudly for this tale.
e-pony chapter 28 . 8/22/2012
Evey,

I don't have much time for reading fanfiction these days, but I made time whenever you posted a new chapter of "One Good Turn." I thoroughly enjoyed this read from beginning to end and will miss visiting the interesting world you've created.

I hope you will be inspired to pen a sequel or even a postscript some day, but until then, I'll keep an eye open for any new AS&J stories you write.

Thank you for sharing!

Pony
Guest chapter 28 . 8/21/2012
Really enjoyed this one. I like their realization that they aren't being honest, that they ARE dangerous AND willing to use underhanded tactics to reach their goal (though it is a worthy goal). Hope there is a sequel where they DO come back, having earned their amnesty, reconnect with their friends and take the opportunity to have a real and honest relationship with good people.
Laureen F.
EveyHammond chapter 28 . 8/21/2012
I just want to say a big, big thank you to all those of you who've been reading this story - and especially those of you who've posted reviews. You've made writing it a pleasure, and given me the impetus to extend what started out as a brief plot idea into, erm... Well, pretty much a novel in length, as one reviewer has pointed out!

Like you folks, I've grown somewhat fond of all the characters herein (even a certain thoroughly hissable Mr T. Pakenham), so I have no doubt that at some point in the future they'll return. Maybe not for a while though... Got two or three other AS&J plot bunnies hopping away in the back of my brain, so I will have to attend to those first!
Guest chapter 1 . 8/20/2012
This could indeed be a wonderful ending, but secretly I am hoping that Pakenham is planning some sort of retaliation and the boys have to come to the rescue...? Whatever you decide to do, I must say that I have enjoyed reading this story immensely. THANK YOU!
RosieAnnie chapter 28 . 8/19/2012
Congratulations, Evey Hammond, on this achievement. You do realize, you've written a novel, don't you? Not just typed a novel; you've written a humdinger. The whole thing is a terrific read. This final chapter is a quiet observation of character and situation that reveals truths about these people. I've grown to care about the Reeds and Asa, and really despise Pakenham.

While I'm sad that I can't look forward to upcoming chapters, I know I'll return to this novel, the same way that I might revisit an old friend. The story may be familiar, but I'll find new twists and turns and think to myself, "how did I miss this the first time through?" Some day this winter, I'll be in the comfy chair, with the cat nestled on the armrest and my laptop (appropriately) in my lap while the snow piles up outside, and I'll read "One Good Turn" all the way through. Like that old friend, it will feel familiar, warm, and be good company.

Thanks for the good times, Evey Hammond, those I've already enjoyed, and those yet to come. Take a short break, and then start writing again. You are a storyteller; no doubt there's something percolating in your brain. I look forward to reading it!
Jessie May Stone chapter 28 . 8/19/2012
Bravo Evey! Now that's the way to end an AS&J fanfic. :)
HOS70 chapter 28 . 8/19/2012
I just gobbled up the last two chapters of your brilliant story in one go, and thoroughly enjoyed them. Like the lads, I'm rather sad to leave the Reeds behind. It would be lovely to meet them again some day.

Many thanks for a lovely story, and all the hard work you've put into it!
HannaHeyes chapter 28 . 8/18/2012
Love this story! Its so well-written and the characters were wonderful. You finished it up quite nicely. Thanks :)
InsideOutlaw chapter 28 . 8/18/2012
Great ending to a wonderful story. I loved this tale and will miss the Reeds and Asa. Maybe we'll see them again someday. Congratulations on a story well-done.
InsideOutlaw chapter 26 . 8/5/2012
Why do I get the feeling that Pakenham isn't going to be handled that easily? I like how Kid played his 'hand' in this one; he was very much the outlaw. As others had said, I liked this line, "Bad things don't happen to us, Mr Pakenham. We're more in the line of being bad things that happen to other people," but also found it ironically amusing, because in the series, bad things were happening to them all the time. I have a theory about who Heyes telegraphed and am looking forward to the next chapter. Thank you, Evey, for a fun read.