Reviews for The Clone Wars: Captain and Commander
Orihime-San chapter 27 . 12/13/2014
so far ... THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!
CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT CHAPTER!
KEEP ON WRITING!
IAmCommonSense chapter 26 . 7/5/2014
Okay, THIS is my favorite. Just...wow.
IAmCommonSense chapter 9 . 7/5/2014
plex character interactions, and nothing too out of character or shallow. A fic like yours is a rare treasure indeed. :-)
IAmCommonSense chapter 9 . 7/5/2014
I just wanted to let you know that I REALLY like this chapter. It's my favorite so far, and they're all extremely well written-com
Madame Mermaid chapter 13 . 5/12/2014
Good Evening,

I have a question: Could it be that you changed some of these one-shots in some small way, adding or detracting some sentences and details - or is my memory failing me (which is entirely possible and quite likely)? For I seem to remember the first half of this one-shot differently (for example the fact that Obi-Wan handed out advice on a data-pad must have slipped my mind), as well as some of the other scenes in this collection, for example the last paragraph of the tag to the TCW movie. Maybe - probably - I'm just going mad. (In case you're wondering why I'm asking - I tend to reread favourite FFs whenever I'm working on my computer, so every few weeks or months I return to this collection, depending on my interests at the time. This happens to be one of the one-shots which always put a rather bittersweet smile on my face - on the one hand it's fun in its absurdity, but on the other hand there's a certain sadness to it, both due to the situation and the way you describe this not-quite-just-friendship.)

There is actually a point to this one-shot, namely the fact that I remembered you writing we should hand you suggestions for tags or scenes we'd be interested in reading. This is not a scene suggestion precisely, more of a question regarding the Kiros arc: Since there is a lot going on in that arc in terms of, well, let's say rather bad experiences, i.e. Obi-Wan and Rex being brought to the factory and Ahsoka spending what seems like a day or two (or less - I'm not really sure of the time frame of that episode, but all things considered, it's an educated guess) a small cage very high up on the palace wall, all three of them suffering from mental as well as physical torture, I'd be surprised if there aren't some issues to come to terms with in the aftermath. Especially considering Ahsoka's prior experience with capture by the Trandoshans and Rex' rather unpleasant memories from Umbara. What was most interesting to me, though, were two small aspects I noted in the Kiros arc: On the one hand, there's Anakin being confronted with some rather dark spots on his soul, which Ahsoka has to notice, since she's playing the part of the slave to his slaver, and on the other hand there's Ahsoka's new maturity in simply patiently sitting in that cage, meditating and waiting, which to me is a sign of her growth and ongoing change. I daresay she wouldn't have acted quite the same way a year, or even a few months, earlier.

These're just observations, since I cannot come up with a scene to condense these details into, but I thought you might be interested in them regardless. Maybe you'll have an idea of what to do with that - I'd be interested in reading it.

Other than that, I hope your life is going well, and wish you all the best for the upcoming weeks.
Until next time,

Madame Mermaid
Zoe Maddox chapter 3 . 4/13/2014
This was absolutely perfect. It describes boys just in general and is a perfect way to describe Rex and Ahsoka's relationship. I just would like to compliment you on this little piece of unseen Star Wars. Nice. Very well written.
SnowHawk0316 chapter 25 . 3/7/2014
I absolutely love these! I go back and reread them often. Are you ever going to continue something based on this? Say, create a new story that takes place after Order 66 or something? Because I think you'd do a great job with it and would look forward to seeing how you write about the relationship between Rex and Ahsoka.
Madame Mermaid chapter 27 . 1/26/2014
Hello, there,

this is not a comment per se, I'm afraid, rather a suggestion or an observation, whatever you want to call it. And since you'll apparently be going on a months-long hiatus soon, I thought I'd hand it to you before you do so (i.e. hoping this will still reach you before you disappear till sometime in June), just in case you're somehow somewhat similar to me and need something to distract your brain every once in a while. (Btw, no worries, you're not keeping me from paying attention in my classes - it's rather that my brain sometimes really needs a break, which is both good for me and for the other students in my classes, so you might say you're doing me and them a public service. ;-D)

Season 5 is finally being broadcasted in Germany, thanks be the Force, and watching the first two arcs of that season, both Onderon and especially Ilum, it struck me, among other things, how much Ahsoka has changed from the youngling she was at the beginning of the series, and how much she has grown and is still growing up, coming closer to being a real Jedi knight with every episode now, or so it feels. It's especially her mental growth, rather than physical changes or enhanced abilities, that became so very apparent to me during the Ilum arc, both in her fight with Griveous and her decision to flee rather than fight, and in her role as mentor and leader of those younglings, who are clearly looking up to her as a role model. In this arc, Ahsoka makes another large step in the process of becoming the teacher rather than the student, which is what is so interesting to me about these episodes. I'm in the middle of that process myself, and going through that shift in perspective, simple though it sounds at first, is much more difficult than it seems - lots of small observations and decisions to be made, a new role to find, and a responsibility for the learning process of the students to shoulder, which brings along with it insecurities, perfectionism, but also the feeling of doing something really cool. It's amazing how much you learn about yourself and your chosen subject once you start teaching it, be it to pupils or to tutoring students - and it's a great feeling when you see that you're doing something right.

Anyways, these experiences made me wonder how Ahsoka is dealing with that seemingly simple change in perspective, what questions and worries she might have about this. Plus, I wonder how this whole process looks from Rex' perspective, since he was her teacher at the beginning, and has seen her develop into the person she is now. And then there's the observation the lightsaber droid made about the younglings: "They seem to be getting younger each time." I wonder if that's just nostalgia, or - as seems more likely, since it was said by a droid - an accurate observation of the changes the war has wrought in the Jedi Order.

Then there's the whole problem of Hondo and his plan to sell Ahsoka to Force-knows-whom (Jabba?), of course, which I don't think anyone in the 501st would be happy about. And the encounter with Griveous. And the idle question of what Ahsoka found in the caves of Ilum the two times she was there (if she's got two lightsabers, she must have been there two times, mustn't she?). So, lots of things for me to wonder about.

And since I really like this series, I thought I'd tell you about it, just to give you a few ideas. The term "idea" is chosen deliberately in this case, for while I'd love to see some of those questions discussed, and you manage to write the interaction between Rex and Ahsoka much better than I ever could, I don't want to make this sound like a request or a wishlist, for that's not what it is - they're just things I wonder about, really. :-)

Last, but not least, I'd like to wish you all the best for your life in the next few months. I hope that whatever "personal obligations" you have to fulfill are not too serious in nature, and that we'll read something new from you sooner rather than later.

Take care and be safe,

Mylady Phoenix
Madame Mermaid chapter 11 . 1/9/2014
Good evening,
I was re-watching the introductory TCW movie a few nights ago and remembered this one-shot. It's still a really nice read, as are all of these little scenes, and I especially like your spot-on characterisation of a very young, reckless Ahsoka in this one (to me it seems very close to her portrayal in the movie, which once again had me noticing how much of a development we see in the series - but that's a different discussion altogether...), but what got me wondering (and writing this review) were a few lines of this whole scene: "Put the right sort of temptation in front of a man and he will succumb." "Even you?" "In theory." I guess you're somewhat testing that theory in Catalyst and Consequences, but still - is that a challenge? It's definitely a mind game to play during boring lectures, and I haven't arrived at an answer yet. Maybe one day I will - and maybe one day I'll find the time to write it, too, though right now I'm swamped with other work. Still, thank you for giving me one more creative construction site to work on during the dryer lectures. :-)
Good night, sleep well,

Mylady Phoenix
laloga chapter 27 . 12/19/2013
This was a lovely moment between Rex and 'Soka, and one that was very much needed in the aftermath of all the craziness of the "brain worm" adventure. That whole experience must have been so horrific for Ahsoka - her *best* friend begging for death?! - and I can't imagine that the images will be easy to shake off, so it was good - and fitting - to see her trying to come to terms with it all.

Rex was sweet with her in his own gruff, captainly way. Their relationship still felt very professional, very much defined by rank, but I could see how it had already started to transition into more "friends" by the end of the scene. Just loved how he kept his hand on her shoulder to comfort her. :) Also loved how Rex assured her that she was a threat, and how that was meant to be a comfort. :D
impoeia chapter 27 . 12/7/2013
I love the fact that you wrote this scene, because this must have been such a traumatic episode for Ahsoka and Barriss and we never get to see the aftermath.

*Sigh* And you really struck the right tone here. Ahsoka's doubts are perfectly summarized and fitting the situation. Particularly her question of what she'd done if the clone's in question had been Rex or anyone else from 'her' team. There's attachment at play here, even if no one comes out and says so directly.

I like the fact that you mentioned Barriss might have reacted differently than Ahsoka. For most, her betrayal in season 5 came as a shock, but here you give a hint of the lengths Barriss would go to, to achieve what she believes is right; lengths which are radically different than Ahsoka's.

As always, the Ahsoka/Rex moments you build are fan-kriffing-tastic and a delight to read. I love reading about their early days together, when their friendship is still in the growing stages and they are slowly starting to talk about more personal concerns.

Wonderful chapter.
Eregnar chapter 27 . 12/3/2013
This was sweet :)
LongLiveTheClones chapter 27 . 12/3/2013
Been so long since I've seen these episodes that I forgot a lot of the specifics. I loved the reassurances from Rex. He comes across not only as a strong leader, but as a good friend. Great episode tag.
Lionheart Rising chapter 27 . 12/3/2013
I'm so happy you're back! Good chapter, nice interaction. I like Rex's methods of cheering her up; they seem rather effective.
-Dryad
Madame Mermaid chapter 19 . 10/23/2013
Good evening,
(at least, here it's evening.) It probably doesn't need repeating, but this is a wonderful series of scenes, all of them, due to their subtlety, their focus on the small aspects and matters which remain undiscussed in the TV series - in many ways, you've made the TV series much better for me by writing these scenes, allowing me to see episodes through a different light, adding layers to the relationship between Rex and Ahsoka which I hadn't seen before. Thus, thank you for that. :-)
That general note, however, isn't the purpose of this review. Rather, I was reminded while reading this scene of a particular Disney movie, and thought you might like to share in the joke. Have you ever seen the movie "Mulan", with particular emphasis in this case on the song "I'll make a man out of you"? I've not seen season 5 yet, but judging from the description you've provided, the general outset of the mission seems similar. Thus, upon reading Rex' thoughts on Lux and his lack of defining attributes or experience (very apt, by the way - I'm not a fan of Lux; too much of a wishy-washy rich boy with no idea of what life is really like for my taste) I for some reason had to think of the scene in the movie. "Mulan" is hilarious in and on itself, and that song in particular, but mentally pairing it with TCW just adds a layer or two of possibility and amusement. Which was what I needed after a long day at uni.
Thus, if you've not seen the movie, take a look at the song on youtube to see if you agree. Even if you've seen it, it's worth the time - one good laugh a day keeps the doctor away (or so...). ;-)
All the best,