Reviews for Not A Lady's Maid
Tammy333 chapter 3 . 6/8/2013
This was sweet! Thanks!
Latona chapter 3 . 11/21/2012
Noo! This needs a sequel! It was so good!
OSUSprinks chapter 3 . 2/29/2012
Ah! But there must be somewhere they will say such things. Perhaps in a housekeeper's sitting room in front of a cozy fire?

I love that Elsie is so determined to treat her with respect regardless of whatever else is going on. It reminds me of her treatment of (Ethel?) the maid that had the baby.

Such a great story! THanks for sharing!
OSUSprinks chapter 1 . 2/29/2012
Lady Rosalie makes me laugh and you write her well. I can't wait for Elsie to realize she is in love with the young butler. :)
OSuzanne chapter 3 . 2/19/2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It's beautifully written, and well-developed. I am particularly fond of how little of what is going on is stated explicitly.
18tilIdie chapter 3 . 2/18/2012
I just love the opening line and the rest of course too. All that is said is usually hanging in the air, not even between the lines with those two, as well as usually quite buoyed and you've conveyed that very well!
zxzxzxz chapter 3 . 2/17/2012
Sorry I haven't left you a review before; I've been reading along since you started this. Anyway, this entire story is really wonderful. I just love everything about it. Lady Rosalie's introduction and character are believable and the Carson/Hughes moments in this are also perfection. I just really enjoyed this!
18tilIdie chapter 3 . 2/17/2012
Aaaah that was really endearing, the way they skirt around the issue and talk in half truths but still understand each other. Of course i'm one for wondering what went on behind closed doors was it all a little more forthright?
onmyside chapter 3 . 2/17/2012
This chapter is perfect! Your writing is so sweeping and fluently and creates so many images. I don't know how to say it in English right now but you chose such a wonderful variety of words so that it's a real pleasure to read this chapter. (this sounds horrible right now because I can't really translate my german sentence *lol*)

"Elsie can see the unprofessional curiosity, laced with worry over her wellbeing, taking hold of Mr. Carson's usual composure and polite detachedness." - this perfectly describes Carson.

"She becomes increasingly aware of the fact they'd almost said something that should not be voiced during a village fair, with hordes of people strolling around them, the music blasting away in the background and the thick aroma of roasted sugar hanging in the air—these are the things that should be whispered into the quiet, warm air of a butler's pantry or a servants' hall emptied of all the younger staff, by the low, yellow light of a gas lamp." - and this is one of the perfectly described scenes. I can smell the fair, see the dim yellow light in his pantry.

so when's your next C/E story ready? ;)
onmyside chapter 2 . 2/12/2012
Oh, I was right! I thought that Lady Rosalie would do that. I like the idea of the "fallen daughter".

No I wonder how Elsie will deal with it and if she will tell Charles about it (or does he already know it?). AND what will happen at the fair!
18tilIdie chapter 2 . 2/11/2012
I'm reading on and interested in where you'll take this story, Elsie's thoughts and position with regards to the understanding that must have dawned and this budding relationship with Carson I wonder where it'll go!
18tilIdie chapter 1 . 2/6/2012
Interesting, seems to be going a new direction from what other such fics about mr Carson an Mrs Hughes have been about. Carry on and unravel your thread, the exploration could lead to true novelty!
onmyside chapter 1 . 2/6/2012
So now, a proper review:

This ia very perfect start of a hopefully very interesting story. There's already a lot of suspense: what about this affair? Why can't Leslie take care of Rosalie? And what is it that attracts Elsie to the young Lady?

And then: the small bits about the relationship between Charles and Elsie - a friendship? Or more?

I like it that you got the date and the age correct so that she isn't that inexperienced "girl" anymore but a woman of 39 that isn't naive or stupid. There's already a great deal of Mrs. Hughes in her but also a rest of the shy (I think I would call her that) farm girl.

Please continue :)