Reviews for Parental Grieving
jtdarkman chapter 1 . 9/7/2014
Yea I cried a little reading this. ..it was touching u know. Great story now I need a tissue
FuryanJedi13 chapter 1 . 10/2/2013
I have to admit, I used to hate Karen Traviss because in some of her Star Wars works, she always seemed to belittle the Jedi, and place her beloved Mandalorians above all others. But amazingly, the Gears of War books redeemed her in my eyes. Aspho Fields was the first one I read, and she did an amazing job with it, as with all the books.

Ironically, Karen Traviss also created a language for the Mandalorians, and one quote that stands out more than any other to me translates to English as 'family is more than bloodlines'. I think that is extremely appropriate in this case.

Just over a year ago, our dog passed away. She had been with us for 14 years, and one day we had to take her to the vet, where he informed us that she had suffered a stroke. This, combined with her old age, meant that the most humane thing was to put her to sleep. We still miss her greatly.

In a way, our dog can be seen in the same manner as Dom was to Delta Squad. They were not tied by blood, but it takes more than that to truly belong to a family. Over time, the grief of their passing becomes more bearable, but that does not mean we miss them any less. Though she is only their surrogate mother, Bernie loves them as her own, so the pain of losing one is all too real. Denial, frustration, anger; she feels all of it, just like I felt a year ago after leaving the vets.

You captured all of this emotion beautifully, my friend. It was good that you stayed up until early morning to finish it.
MyFantasiWorld chapter 1 . 7/17/2013
Now I gotta say, this almost made me start to bring tears to my eyes. It was very well described in a first-person point of view, but what I liked is that you were able to somehow convey everyone else's behavior as if you were talking through their perspective. It was really great.

And you never get to see much of Bernie fanfics around, so it was unique you chose her as a witness to the experience. Again, great job on this. I wish I could write just as good with the proper use of grammar and expressing emotions that ends up stirring the emotions of the readers. I'm still working on it though. :P
Rio Voltaire chapter 1 . 10/19/2012
I'll admit I'm close to tears (

The game did end rather abruptly in this aspect and it's nice to see the loose end closed.
Dv4021 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Friggin' awesome! I love the idea behind this, great opening scene with the Aspho Fields book. I thought the bit where Bernie realises Delta have killed off the lambert was really good, like a proud mother. Hoffmans comment of "well...damn" excellent! Poor Marcus, you really went all out on the depth of his mourning, not many people write him like this so that made a nice change. Considering he didn't say a word in the whole story you still described him really well :) Poor Anya I hope Bernie will give her a hug. You noted this is part 1 of 2? Iv so I look forward to more.