Reviews for Preferred Stock
TonksSB chapter 1 . 2/28/2012
Ahhh, so so great! I love the idea behind this, and the situations that you have placed everyone in. I love Mary, not as hard as S1 Mary but she still has her sass, especially around Matthew, which I adore! Poor Edith :( That breaks my heart but I hope there is something positive in her future! Can't wait for more!
smndolphin chapter 1 . 2/27/2012
Very very intrigued. Nice setup and definitely loved the 21th century equivalent of a faux pas meeting with the contemporary Mary and Matthew. Hope to see more of this story :)
darkblueyank chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
Okay, I'll bite - what's the "David Martin" reference? I even googled and came up with nothing that seemed relevant.

I was immediately engaged by all your characters and the setting. I like how Matthew's priggishness has become swagger in this setting.

Can't wait for the next chapter.
crankygrrl 2.0 chapter 1 . 2/19/2012
I wasn't sure I like Modern AU for Downton Abbey but you've convinced me that there's tremendous potential here. I think how you've set up the characters is fantastic - Sybil writing for the Grauniad (where else?) but particularly Eddie. Her disabilities are an interesting externalization of Edith's insecurities and jealousy, and it's nice to see three Crawley sisters who are in accord. And then Mary - I like the way her dilemma has been modernized while being true both to the original material and contemporary sexism in the business world. Looking forward to more.
Ocean of Ashes chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
What a fabulous and intriguing start. I have never liked modern settings of period stories of any kind, but you and the other brilliant writers here are thoroughly changing my mind. You have picked a contemporary setting for them that is both topical and a well thought out, appropriate parallel. I am awaiting the next installment with keen anticipation.
circa1910 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Wonderful plot. Great "meeting" your modern Mary, Matthew, Sybil, Eddie. Mary extremely capable but under-appreciated by her father. Poor Edith. Patrick will be bitten in the back by karma, right? Matthew attracted but liable to make mistakes. I'll be cheering them (all but Patrick) on.
AriadneO chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Oh my word, I love this already! Amazingly written with beautiful details, wonderfully drawn characters and such a fun plot. And all the little mentions of politics and finance are just cherries on top. (I worked in politics and studied finance in school and I find them both fascinating. Must be so interesting viewing it as a journalist!) I already adore all the characters we've met and can't wait to see the fireworks go off when M/M officially interact. Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent through another story and please do update soon!
MistressBlack523 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
I absolutely love this so far. Your modern take on it is really interesting I can't wait to read more! poor edith... :(
TrapperII chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Oooo, I like the start of this! A totally new twist to the realm of modern DA fic. You captured Mary perfectly. Matthew came off as extremely attractive. And the Edith twist at the end was particularly affecting. Looking forward to more!
OnlyALouse chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Wow. This is amazing. I am really really intruiged and absolutely loving it! Its a fantastic approach to it and I really can't wait to see where you take it! :)

It is so beautifully written, with that hint of modernity whilst still capturing the characters very much in themselves, I think its wonderful! My heart goes out to Edith/Eddie :( poor poor girl! I very much like the idea of reversing Mary and Patrick's roles in relation to her, I'd like to see more of the Mary/Edith relationship like this, I think it would add a lovely dimension to everything. And I love your Mary/Matthew meeting, and Ben's warning to Matthew. Though I don't think it likely that Matthew would have Mary as an ally in this, given her feelings about him... But still, I'd love to be surprised and see them team up and take down Patrick together - he seems like a nasty piece of work!

Altogether, really loving it and looking forward to more, please update soon!

Alice x
flamedash chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
A great start! Poor Edith :(
GhostIsland chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Such an intriguing start - I like the idea of the old-fashioned aristocracy being the modern day business world, and Mary as such deeply involved in that world, but still encountering that proverbial glass ceiling. Makes such sense in today's world, unfortunately. Love M/M's meeting, and the wordplay with "Bitter." (hee!) And I ADORE Eddie/Edith - I think that is SO clever...making her close to Mary, making Patrick be the one who destroyed her life and making her so *literally* damaged. Great way to define Mary's character, too. :) Also: "David Martin" in the 1920s. Of course. ;) Can't wait for more - update SOON! :D
joker to the thief chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Goodness, it's just the first chapter and I'm already head over heels for this new fic of yours. I love the not-quite-AUishness of it and the little touches you put in (Matthew's swagger, for one). I already love Edith (Eddie, rather) here, too. Cannot wait for more from you.
jmar chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
OK. I love it. I'm hooked, so please don't decide to just drop the subject! Thanks for something intriguing & interesting to read on a drab day in February :-)
pylades32 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
I have a soft spot for modern AUs! So excited to see where this one is going.

And, gosh, poor Edith!