Reviews for Who Wouldn't Love You?
Jamie506101 chapter 1 . 6/26/2020
MERC THIS IS EVERYTHING! First of all, I miss Matthew so much and I love being able to see him interact with Mary as husband and father. The characterization of him and Mary was spot on. I liked seeing Mary deal with a rebellious teenager with the same exasperation that she deals with everything lol. This is literal gold I adore it
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 1 . 7/14/2014
Oh, I deeply love this story! Your well-researched tale is such a joy to read, as I just keep echoing, "Oh, nice!" as I read each bit. It enriches the scenes and characterization, giving your story a strength of realism. Your insights about the characters are spot-on, making me smile and nod with recognition, and the way you describe them is just lovely! I particularly loved the paragraph about Isobel being on a crusade to get everyone else to do the work that she's passionate about, LOL. Julia and Alex feel equally real, despite being original characters with such brief screen time. The vast differences between the generations (e.g., Robert vs. Matthew in response to the war, Mary vs. Julia in terms of ladylike behavior) was also so well done!

Bravo! I very much look forward to reading more of your work!
dreamer 3097 chapter 1 . 9/12/2013
A good one
mioneandroonie chapter 1 . 10/24/2012
i really enjoyed this fic, specially your 40's music recommendations. i listen to 'who wouldn't love' you and absolutly loved it.
Petit Parapluie chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
First off, I love the interaction between Mary and Julia - especially Julia, who's so delightfully rebellious (in a tastefully 1940s way)! It's a beautiful echo of Mary's own relationshio with her mother and Grandmother - tradiition versus change, but gently and affectionately rendered. Have to say, I do agree with Smoltenica about poor Carson. I'd love to imagine him in happily in retirement, but I suspect he probably died painlessly, aged 95, choosing wine in the pantry and still determinedly butlering away. But I love how Stanley and Daisy have at last risen to high positions at Downton! I can imagine Daisy's settled down in middle-age nicely. And I d'awwed at Matthew and Mary's relationship! He's still so cute and restrained - but he's still the knight on his thirty-year old bicycle, pedalling to Mary's rescue. This was a lovely piece - and the music has even given me a soundtrack!

Many thanks for a whole morning of delicious entertainment, Merc. I really hope you visit the world of Downton again, I'll be sure to pay a visit!

PP

PS. Random fact of the week: My grandmother has a weird habit of calling rummage sales 'white elephant stalls'. Not sure how the heck that name came about (maybe because you can find a bit of everything, white elephants not excluded?), but I think it's a funny little 40s archaism. Might be useful:P
Chickwriter chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Oh, that was lovely - a sweet glimpse into a very believable future - and what a wonderful song to weave into it! Really great, well done!
Smoltenica chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Matthew and Mary! Matthew and Mary with CHILDREN! Matthew's children and Matthew's old bike! Written by one of my favourite authors on , too :)

This was a marvellous piece of writing. I love your wonderful grasp of the characters and your ability to slip into 'period' language with such ease.

A few nitpicks: I can't really see Carson retiring, can you? I rather see him dying in the job, much like Stevens' father in "The Remains of the Day". I don't know.. .maybe Mary would have made him retire, out of compassion :)

Also, considering the 1925 Law Property Act, the issue of the entail to a male relative would have been rendered null and void, so Mary wouldn't have needed a first born son, per se, but that hardly changes the story.

Overall, a lovely piece and I do hope you continue writing for the Downton fandom :D
Serena89 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
wow. It was a great fic! Extremely interesting, because every time I think of Mary and Matthew I also think that their son will go to war...two wars in a lifetime, God, the history has been mostly unfair (then again, it always is).

Adored Julie, and the little details like Dear Darling Boy and the War Office (Robert aw). Loved how Mary and Matthew danced to a mute tune.

This fanfiction was different from anything else I've read and I wish you'd add more to it :)
TrapperII chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
This story was lovely! And I don't think you made Mary overly sentimental at all. She was still herself. Twenty years with someone like Matthew would tend to soften one up a bit :) Speaking of Matthew, he was absolutely charming here. The best aspect of the story is the way you captured a certain atmosphere of loss, nostalgia, wartime, etc., but still suffused it with a certain familial hominess.

Write more for this fandom!
M. Pond chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Oh I just adored this! You managed to stay true to the characters while also recognising how they would be changed, both by twenty years of marriage and by the world around them. I can really envision this as being Matthew and Mary's future. And I loved Julia who was the perfect balance of the two of them.

I also wanted to say that I was happy to spot your music recommendations at the end. I've recently been searching for some 40s music as I've exhausted my Glen Miller collection so I shall check those out :)