Reviews for Beside the Golden Door
2old4fanfic chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
wow...first I thought this would be an immigrant story. Coincidentally I had been doing some genealogy research for my father's 80th birthday (when his grandfather came through Ellis Island, the manifest said that 6 of the men coming from this tiny Italian town where all shoemakers...really? I'm guessing that's what they were told to say or what the person writing the manifest decided would be the easiest thing to get them through)

I worked near the site of the Triangle tragedy. Unions of late have seen a lot of abuse and corruption, but what a huge difference they made to abused workers. Glad you didn't kill Bella off, but poor Alice. great OS
Zhee chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Amazing story! I cried at the end. What a price to pay just to make a living.
mugglemom08 chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
I don't often read the Age of Edward fics, but this was pretty amazing. It's absolutely awful how immigrants were treated back then, and I was holding my breath until it was revealed that Isabella was OK.
Iklepixie chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Enjoyed this
Globetrotter28 chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
It was a brilliant story! Sad... But brilliant :) well written and I was interested all the way through

Audizzle :)
fuz chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
How sad, but a lovely story. Thank you.
fanfictionalcolic chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Extraordinary story! Thank you for the bit of history.
sami69 chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Wonderful story, is this just a o/s or is there more chapters to come? Hope so! :-)
MsLiss chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Spangle I've seen documentries on this time in NYC and the appealling conditions the workers were faced with. Such an interesting topic to set your story against. thank you
insanemum chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
So, so sad - and based on true events! Even sadder still. But I like to think that Edward and Bella's American dream came true, and generations of Italo/American Cigno/Cullens are still living it today :)
Multitaskmom chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
Lovely and tragic.
MistiS chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Another incredible story. Thank you so much for sharing it.
Chloe0500 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
We're all *tsk tsk* when disasters like these happen in third world countries today even though it's been less than 100 years since developed countries cleaned up their act. Great story - good luck with the competition.
Cared chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
I like the way Edward did not give up his hope of finding Isabella in New York and how together they held on to hope for the future in the land of opportunity.
LibraryLady08 chapter 1 . 2/8/2012
Very moving! Thanks for sharing. :)

146 | « Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 Next »