Reviews for Music Makes The Heart
Guest chapter 12 . 6/10/2013
Is this story finished because it would disappoint the hell out of me if it was
Guest chapter 5 . 5/5/2013
xhfgdfhxb ffcfcnbvcfcccc yay
Sapphico chapter 12 . 7/31/2012
Cute or amazing or fabulous story, I really frickin' hope you continue this.
Donny's Boy chapter 11 . 4/22/2012
I really do adore how you've developed their relationship. They're still awkward and socially inept-Vinyl more so than Octavia, but Octavia's a strange little customer herself-but more comfortable with one another and very cute, in their own way.

"About the 'lovers' thing," she began after a moment, and felt Vinyl rearranged herself nervously.

"I meant to say girlfriend. It came out wrong."

This is amusing, unexpected, and even kind of adorable. I loved this bit. I also love that the entire backstory for this prior conversation is left to the reader's imagination.

"I've never heard you laugh like that before. You sounded really...goofy," Vinyl said. "I really liked it."

"One of these days, Vinyl Scratch, I shall teach you how to give a compliment without sounding like a jerk, and you will thank me for it," she replied, and put her head on Vinyl's shoulder. "Just you wait."

I love Vinyl's compliment, and I love Octavia's response to it. They ARE really good for one another. Having Tavi put her head on Vinyl's shoulder-just an extra little touch to show the reader, and Vinyl, that Octavia isn't really offended-was nice and lovely.

"Hey, Octavia! Nice performance yesterday. Maestro wants to see you. Oh! And you brought your weird friend!" the security guard greeted.

"She's not weird, and she's not my friend," Octavia smiled.

"We're partners," Vinyl finished smokily, walking a few steps behind her. "But thanks. I was impressed with her, too."

I'm sorry for quoting this much, but I had to, because it's wonderful. I love the recurring security guard and his cheerfully referring to Vinyl as Octavia's "weird friend." (The guard is not wrong, either.)

I sense some affection from the guard for this pair, which I dig. I also really liked Octavia's cryptic answer plus Vinyl's response of "We're partners"-I can practically hear the happy pride in her voice as she says it.

Re: what you should write next, I am torn! On the one hand, Rainbow Pie is my OTP, and I loved what you did with them in "Pink & Blue." But I also love me some RariJack, and I don't believe you've written them yet. Can't decide! Either way, though, I'll happily read it. :)
kitmaro chapter 11 . 4/18/2012
Now that's a beautiful performance. I enjoy these two so much.
kitmaro chapter 10 . 4/11/2012
Vibrato indeed. Vibrations are happening in more then just her bow it seems.
Donny's Boy chapter 9 . 4/9/2012
“Octavia said, and stopped, disliking the helpless tone her voice had taken. She marshalled it back into fighting form; added a note of aggression, of impatience.”

Atta girl, Tavi! Don’t take no gruff from that DJ! I do like this moment, that Octavia has the presence of mind to do this even as she’s completely bewildered.

“It was almost like a nervous habit. Exactly like a nervous habit. Octavia frowned.”

This is subtle, and I like it a lot. The realizations that Octavi is having, the way she’s finally seeing past the veneer of who Vinyl is.

“...I was wrong. I did it all wrong. I ruined it," Vinyl said heavily after a while, an odd half-smile floating across her mouth. She closed her eyes, and said dreamily, as if to herself: "Wrong tempo”

This is lovely, and important. Your Vinyl sometimes veers close to becoming hateful, and hate-able, but then you toss something like this in, and instantly she’s sympathetic again. It’s a delicate balance, and you do it well.

“...I was scared that you didn't like me," Vinyl said slowly, looking at the floor.

"Oh, boo-hoo. I'm scared of dragons, but I don't just lay down and die when I see one. Good grief...Whatever am I to do with you?" Octavia replied more gently, shaking her head.”

This might be the first time they’ve both had their defenses down simultaneously (more or less), and as soon as that happens, they’re adorable. They just might be good for one another, these two. Aww.

“...How much sugar did I put in that, anyway?" Scratch grumbled. Octavia giggled. She wasn't so cool, after all.”

I like this development a lot, how it feels as though Octavia and Vinyl are coming to stand more as equals in position to one another. And again, moments like these make Vinyl, an otherwise very aloof and antagonistic character, come across as someone the reader can actually care about and want to know more of.

I’m happy to hear there will be more that one chapter. It does feel as though there’s more story to tell here, and I’m excited to read more.
Donny's Boy chapter 8 . 4/9/2012
I love that this is how their first kiss happens. It's such a strange situation, kind of messed up yet perfectly understandable, and it fits these two characters. In particular, I like Vinyl's hesitations and Octavia's rising to meet the challenge. Tavi's confused and bewildered and afraid (and probably turned on), and none of it makes sense to her-so she falls back on her music, which she DOES understand. I like that.
kitmaro chapter 9 . 3/30/2012
Ah a straight answer in a not so straight way from Vinyl. Ya know this is very different from other ways Vinyl's been portrayed and I rather like it. Good chapter.
kitmaro chapter 8 . 3/28/2012
Powerful and light on it's feet. A good chapter.
Donny's Boy chapter 7 . 3/23/2012
I think the ending works fine without the setting, for what it's worth. The dialogue between Octavia and Vinyl is what's important, and it's SO well done.

I love that Octavia's first words are about how many missed beats Vinyl had, and I love that she says she'll come over to Vinyl's place to learn how to not be distracted. It feels like a meaningful shift in their relationship, though I'm not sure either of them quite knows where it's shifting TO.

In particular, I liked "she didn't hit any bum notes, although the performance was otherwise unremarkable." Says so much. METAPHOR. I love it.
Donny's Boy chapter 6 . 3/23/2012
I love the moment with the saxophonist. I feel like it says so much about who Vinyl is: blunt ("not as good as her"), generous, unpredictable ...

Also, this part ...

"No," Octavia said softly, and didn't know why. She didn't feel ready yet.

"I see," Vinyl Scratch sighed, and it came out heavy and soft. "I see."

... hit like a punch to the gut. Their relationship feels so tentative at this point, and this might be what cuts that fragile thread. I worry for them.
Donny's Boy chapter 5 . 3/23/2012
You may be flailing with Octavia's characterization, but the relationship between her and Scratch feels very, very real and fleshed-out. And COMPLEX. It's remarkable how you pack so much into so few words.
fantasycrazyperson409 chapter 4 . 3/4/2012
I think you write Octavia very well, maybe you could make her a litle more tight-laced...She is very high-strung and almost stuck up even. You do write very well otherwise.
Donny's Boy chapter 4 . 2/13/2012
I love the description of the club scene, of Vinyl's music, of how it affects the crowd. In particular, I enjoyed this bit: "This was the culmination of her career, the moment when she straddled that fine line between art, science and madness ... This was living. This was truth."

I also like how Vinyl is able to fluster Octavia so badly. Though I do very much want Octavia to make a come-back and WIN, at this point, just to shut up that smug unicorn. You can do it, Tavi! Go, go, go!

I have noticed that we're learning much more about Vinyl than about Octavia. Your Octavia does still seem only vaguely defined and characterized. Would love to see more that explains just who Octavia is, but that's a request, not a criticism. :)