Reviews for The Timelost
Furius chapter 5 . 8/21/2002
That was extremely interesting, not to mention a little confusing, but Idril herself is confused. Great great story, and so breathtakingly sad. You really brought Idril to life, and your interpretation does answer some lingering questions.
Mouse chapter 5 . 8/20/2002
A nice long one this time ... _

Need I really say it again? The story is astounding. I get utterly lost in the whirlwind images of her mind- she seems to exist as easily in the past as she does in the present- easier, since in the present she's always trying to escape. But here, one memory- one escape- she tries to refuse, and they throw her in there.

Love it, love it, love it.

And I know you have the next section done ...

Argh! I *will* get more people to read this, I promise! *marches off- Mouse on a Mission*
Finch chapter 5 . 8/7/2002
Suddenly I had this vision of Gondolin being a photographic negative of Tirion upon Tuna. Black is white, and white is black. And if Idril doesn't fit in, it's because she's not a negative but a positive. But Turgon is obviously mixing up black and white. And all his talk about heirs - he's really doing his best to disregard Ulmo's warnings, isn't he?
LOTRlover chapter 5 . 8/7/2002
Huzzah! An update! I was afraid you were going to abandon this fic, but now my patience is rewarded. I'm glad someone in Gondolin realizes that Idril isn't just being childish.

But what's poor Turgon going to do? Maybe if he just sat down and *listened* to her for awhile he could figure out what she's about.
Mouse chapter 5 . 8/7/2002
Ah! No! It's too short!

Amazing- as always. I just sit here and stare in wonder at your Idril. Sometimes it seems that she is indeed mad- but other times it seems like she is the only one who really sees or understands anything.

Her detach-and-observe still makes tingles go down my spine. And you manage to make me even feel sorry for Turgon, so hopeless to understand his daughter- or more importantly, his heir. (But of course, I have a soft spot for Turgon.)

I love this story so much. Updates better come quick now or you'll risk my incessant nagging again ~_
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 6/10/2002
And I'm shaking my head looking at the reviews saying "What, twelve, twelve? Only twelve?" Your prose is splendid, magnificent, really sounding like water flowing... or wind. Airy, or lofty. And those ideas. One doesn't really understand what exactly is going on, as the story shifts between past, present and future, hallucinations and reality, but somehow it is just perfect. I was particularly struck by Ringa, Idril's shoes in the Sea and her calling to the eagles, and the making of the 'clothes-Idril' at the end. There is something I didn't catch, though; are Not-Idril and Clothes-Idril the same, or two different entities? Idril seeing her friend Lindoriƫ (who went home because she was too tired. My God.) in the little sister is poignant. The use of Gondolin and its interpretation is fascinating, too, but then the whole story is so that I don't need to say it for each part of it.
crow guess who chapter 1 . 6/3/2002
Chapter IV was a difficult one. Do I guess rightly that the boy Idril Sees is Maeglin? And is Non-Idril the person the others want her to be while she knows she isn't?

In any case, the last sentences are especially evokative; I like the image of stone dust blown away from the sculptor's chisel.
Finch chapter 4 . 6/2/2002
Concerning E, E, & G: Tolkien wanted to replace them because Aredhel's escort was 'so bewildered and daunted by the horrors of the valleys west of Esgalduin that they had never reached the bridge {...} This makes it necessary, I think, not to name the most eminent and bravest chieftains (G, E & E) as her escort.' (War of the Jewels, p. 328) Does make sense to me. But you are right: they do need names.
finch chapter 3 . 5/28/2002
Just a thought: I wonder if Turgon is overjoyed to marry Idril to a mortal. Tuor is touched by the Lord of Waters - the odd-Vala-out, by the way - and Turgon remembers Huor's prophecy at the end of the Nirnaeth; if it's not your own strange daughter telling you things, it's easier to listen.
finch chapter 1 . 5/28/2002
(logging out in to be able to add new review to 1st chapter).

'The set shield is so much harder to hit than the flying arrow' - and the arrow can go astray, and whom the gods want to destroy...

I always wondered why the story of Gondolin seemed so familiar, more than the other Silmarillion stories, but it took this story to make me see the Greek tragedy. I guess you scaled a maddening height, too, to gain this view.
Mouse chapter 1 . 5/27/2002
Aredhel's spirit and pride is captured perfectly in this. Idril's anguish at being disregarded is painful, especially knowing what comes of her aunt's venture. I continue to be fascinated by your Idril, a character I never before had much interest in. I'm very eager for the next part, and particularly looking forward to the coming of Maeglin.
Mouse chapter 3 . 5/26/2002
I'm at a loss for words. This is a brilliant story, a fascinating study of Idril's gift. The Helcaraxe is vivid and terrible. Idril's visions and words are exquisite, the affinity between her and Glorfindel charming and poignant. Now I'm going to put down my thesaurus and say: More! More! More!
Finch chapter 2 . 5/26/2002
Excellent writing. The interaction between Idril and Glorfindel is fascinating, and of course he would be an artist as well as a warrior.

I wondered about 'Lindorie': is this the rebirth theory, or is the girl's return just Idrils idea/apacen?
LOTRlover chapter 1 . 5/25/2002
A beautiful story, with prose that flows like water. I love reading all your work.
Finch chapter 1 . 5/19/2002
Beautifully written, intriguing, and terrible (where is Lindorie? ... gone home because she was too tired). A compelling view of the Helcaraxe; shoeless Idril in her father's boots, shoeless Idril in her father's city; and time spread like a landscape to be seen from above with an eagle's view.

(Had to post an anonymous review because I'd already reviewed the introduction and this wasn't uploaded as a new chapter.)