Reviews for The Gates of Heaven
Anais chapter 1 . 2/2/2014
One word: Fantastic!
kb chapter 1 . 1/9/2014
The dark humour and military references are just what I'd expect from a man of Bates' age and experiences. He would size people up in exactly that way and cloak himself in sarcasm as protection from an unkind world, but would be too much of a gentleman to let it out. Well done.
scoobydooandrubytoo chapter 1 . 11/14/2013
I love how you made the character of Bates to realistic, it was exactly what he must have been thinking as he arrived at downton. Good job! Love the story, and I hope you write something else soon!
trudyy2012 chapter 1 . 11/22/2012
Love it!
Jill chapter 1 . 7/13/2012
I really enjoyed bates sense of humour here.
xXSinister-AngelXx chapter 1 . 7/1/2012
I loved it! I hope you can continue!

Lady Razorsharp chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
Absolutely beautiful job.
MyMadness chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
Edgy and original. A welcome counter point to the exterior smoothness that is the romantic hero.

Welcome to the neighbourhood.
PBCD chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
What an interesting mental ramble! I liked your creative take on the way he sees the world. This had some lovely details-very enjoyable!
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
Oh, well done! You carry the heaven/hell/angel conceit through very effectively. I really like your wry-humoured Bates, and it's fun to see things through his pov.

Lines I liked:

"the fear that his limp was contagious kept anyone from sitting next to him" - Ha! Yes, I've seen people act like this.

"Perhaps Heaven might accept the fallen, truly repentant angel known as John Bates. Let there be a feast with a fatted calf and much rejoicing.

Or at least, a spot of tea and a warm bed.

That would be enough."
E.Phoard chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
I love this exploration of John's first few days at work. From his facial expressions, it does indeed seem like was categorizing his co-workers as he sized them up. I like how you've captured what I've always thought was a fairly lively, and likely rather dark, mind. And it does always seem as if people see the cane first then the man and act as if the limp is catching, doesn't it?
robspace54 chapter 1 . 2/10/2012
Really nice pov of John Bates for these episodes. Well done.
poma14 chapter 1 . 2/9/2012
I readily enjoyed this exploration of Bates. Nice to see a deviation from the norm. The scene where he is meeting everyone and categorizing ally or foe was compelling and at the same time entertaining. Well done!