Reviews for Hindsight
Windpheonix chapter 1 . 12/15/2014
Pretty sad to see this completed, I love happy endings, but I guess there can't always be one...

It is a bit weird, actually Tup and Dogma were the only clones I ever took a dislike to, but the whole fandom has shown me so many different, downright tragic, aspects of these two that i have grown to like them.

Right now, someone should give this guy a hug.
Silivrennial chapter 1 . 1/16/2014
I thought that it was interesting about his arrest too...
Poor guy.
Guest chapter 1 . 12/10/2013
Oh. My. Gosh. That was so realistic...
kitkatritrat chapter 1 . 11/20/2012
Warning, I know very little of Clone Wars. I've seen like, three episodes. I didn't catch any spelling or grammar mistakes. That last sentence was really cool, and so was the first. I just might have to steal that. Oh, and congrats on the awesomely short profile. I hate having to swim through all this cut-and-space stuff the Harry Potter people do. I'm much less likely to read something of someone's if I have to scroll down their page for forty minutes just to get to their stories. So, thank you! Good job and thanks for writing! -Kit Kat
dogmatup23 chapter 1 . 10/13/2012
It was a good story and I thank dogma was a good trooper he was foolish to do something like that anyway thelightismine can you make a story of dogma and tup
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 1 . 9/9/2012
I felt so awful for Dogma...he was just trying to do what he thought was the right thing, and not only did he get betrayed for it, but he had to be taken prisoner by his own comrades. Just, way too awful. Poor Dogma needs a big hug :(

Loved this little drabble because you pinned exactly what he must have been feeling in that moment. Ever since I saw that episode, I've been wanting to read something like this, and so glad I found it at last.

Again, poor Dogma...
Jade-Max chapter 1 . 4/1/2012
An interesting look into Dogmas head. After Anakin's comment in the beginning about Dogma reminding him of Rex, it's interesting that you took this the way you did.

But it's true; hindsight allows us all to see the things that we 'should' have seen the first time we go through something. But then if we could see a situation from all angles, we'd never learn and Dogma has learned a valuable lesson in trust vs Duty and honor.

That he accepts his nightmares as a kind of punishment, a kind of... quid pro quo for having followed Krell so blindly is a sign of maturity we don't see beyond the nod he gives to Rex. Nice introspection :)
PenNameofMine chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
Wow. Haunting, insightful, and surprisingly beautiful in its own way. Poor Dogma. Excellent work, though. Keep it up!
DoubleEO chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
Wish I could have seen it. :P Poor Dogma. I know. It stinks. They'd better show us what happened to him!
CNQ chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
Lovely! I always wondered what happened to him and you captured him well. :)
sachariah chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in how few (well written) pieces there on on FFN, devoted to Umbara and it's aftermath. The arc is, to me, the pinnacle of TCW, at least so far, and it's beyond any doubt the most powerful storytelling dealing with the clones and their unique plight.

So I was greatly pleased to see this pop up. Dogma truly is a unique character, as ironic as that sounds. Yes, he believed that he was told, he demonstrated blind loyalty and fierce alliegance to the cause he was given. He plays an atagonstic role for much of the Umbaran campaign, for good measure.

But in a way, Dogma *is* unique. He's actually not that far from where men like Captain Rex started out. He *does* believe in the Republic cause, and he's determined to fight for that cause right to the death, without questioning or wondering.

Yet, while Rex learned to see beyond the "part the wanted him to play", Dogma never quite got there. He never got to the point where he saw himself as an individual, with free will, and - most importantly - a responsibilty. As long as the clone - or anyone - sees himself as merely a number, merely an agent of some faceless cause, then he never has to think too hard, never has to question and make his own decisions. He never has to decide whether the orders handed down to him, just might be horribly wrong.

But as the fic says, for Dogma, that's all hindsight. It's too late to change what happened, and as you lay out so painfully clear here, there's no escaping the guilt, the nightmare, the regret. The action of killing Krell provided some sort of personal relief, but we all know that mere revenge isn't enough to heal the wounds that betrayal leaves.

"And now, for once in his life, he felt free."

That's pretty much all he has now, isn't it? I've always felt that having Dogma kill Krell was an important piece of the story (although I am just as disappointed as you that they haven't revisited his story since). The obvious reason was that, for plot purposes, Rex couldn't be sent to jail. But as a character, Dogma *needed* to be the one to execute the traitor. It's painful, harsh and brutal, but it's a sort of closure for this broken young man. And it leaves him where we see him now, hurt, despairing, but understanding what happened and where he stands.

The last two lines are, simply put, a masterpiece.

*And so Dogma closed his eyes, and prepared to fall into the nightmares again, the never-ending circle of pain and regret and acceptance, of hindsight.

Because hindsight was all he had left.*

Wow. I can't say much more than that. I guess I could mention that, although I see you intended this to be standalone (I assume), I think what you have here could be an excellent start for a full story, in the future. I for one am equally perplexed as to the fallout of Umbara, which seems to have been cleanly ignored as per normal in TCW. It's a good thing we have masterful writers such as yourself, to stand in the proverbial (I love that word for some reason) gap.

Excellent work!
captainrexbest35 chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
wow
Queen chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
Just a lovely little ficlet. All of Umbara was great (well, storytelling wise) but Dogma and his struggle to understand he should be more than just an obedient clone made for some compelling moments. I wish there were more moments like this, in series, when we see the characters just reflecting on what's happened. Though Dogma shot a traitor to the Republic, the fact that Krell was a Jedi probably carried some weight. I do wonder what was supposed to officially happen to him after Umbara.

Wonderful reflective piece.
laloga chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
I wondered that, too, but I guess you can't kill a Jedi Master and not at least be investigated for it? Anyway, in my head he goes to a trial or something and they find out that he *did* do the right thing, but of course TCW will never let us know...good thing there's folks like you to fill in the blanks!

"The darkness of Umbara took away all sense of time, all grasp of reality. It made the whole experience seem like a distant hallucination." This. Love this. In so many ways, Umbara was like a dream, (or a nightmare), in part due to the surreal nature of the landscape. Of course, the darkness also serves to show the conditions that the clones are living and working under, not knowing the entire shape of the things around them, only being allowed to see tiny slivers at a time. And then, of course, there's Krell.

But he's not really the focus of this ficlet, is he? The "enemy," in Dogma's mind, anyway, was his own myopic viewpoint. The argument could be made that Dogma shouldn't really be held accountable for his stalwart adherence to orders, because that's how the clones are "supposed" to be, but it feels hollow when we look at men like Fives and Rex who were able to look past their "orders" and make their decisions as *men,* not soldiers.

This is illustrated so perfectly here, particularly when combined with the theme of hindsight. "The sound of the voice that had dictated his moves so cleverly through the war had spoken to him, pulling him back into the person he didn't want to be any more. So he had broken the voice...And now, for once in his life, he felt free."

True enlightenment, as Dogma has experienced here, does not come without growing pains. This ficlet is bittersweet, because it's always wonderful to see a clone break out of his "box," but at what cost to himself? The cost has already been too high, with all of the other clone deaths that were a result of Krell's treachery...I wonder what will become of Dogma? I wonder if he'll want to choose a new name, to represent his new way of thinking? Or would he prefer to hang on to the old one, as a reminder...?

Anyway, phenomenal one-shot. I daresay you have fodder here for a full-length fic! Love stories like this, the ones that raise questions and spark discussion. Lovely writing, as always. :D
SerendipityAEY chapter 1 . 2/11/2012
Sadly my little girl only leaves me alone in about 5 minute increments, sometimes less, so a drabble is the perfect length for me! :D Fantastic writing, I really enjoyed the pull between being a clone, and following dogmatic law, and being a human being, an individual that sometimes has to go out on a limb, take a chance to do what feels morally right. Loved his introspection in his little cell :( Great job!