Reviews for Field Effect Principle
SpangleyPony chapter 1 . 4/5/2014
Good idea and well written.
floppyearsthebunny chapter 1 . 1/25/2013
That was fabulous I really like it! Though Alberta does remind me of a woman with Faux poshness.
OldFashionedGirl95 chapter 1 . 10/1/2012
Oh dear. I came here to rec this to someone and apparently I never reviewed! I could have sworn I had!

Awww, Eustace studying transistor theory and subatomic particles! *squishes* And quoting Macdonald! and

"Controlling electrons-" he shook his head. "It's jolly well amazing. Do you know how tiny electrons are, Dad?"
In the silence that followed, Harold was sure he would have heard an electron drop, no matter how tiny.

Favoritest. Lines.

and ohhh, how I love this Harold, and the vivid description of the tension that can hang unbroached between a parent and a child, and how he rather likes being called "Dad."

It's a very good story. I'm honored that you wrote it for me, and I'm sorry for not reviewing earlier.
basaltone chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
Very nice, Harold is a hard one to get a handle on from the source material. You did a great job.
Miniver chapter 1 . 3/3/2012
I think this is a very interesting way to see Harold. This is such a tricky family to portray, because you can't show both parents as impervious and humorless-they start looking like cartoons. Having Harold be the slightly quieter, more open one (or at least potentially more open) is a great way to solve the dilemma. This doesn't have to stop you from deciding in another story that to try another arrangement. Given that, let me say that the way Harold's almost barely woken-up inner warmth responds to being called Dad is lovely. You made it work splendidly. It's great that no actual issue is brought up; in fact, Eustace is doing something that's well within Harold's comfort range, drawing a diagram of a transistor. In a way, it's as if Aslan is using Eustace as a match to light up Harold as well. I look forward to seeing more about the Scrubbs.
lemonsmania chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
Oh, this was really good! I thought it was really nice how Harold liked it, whereas if Alberta had been in his place, Eustace would have had it coming to him.

The dialogue was so sweet yet awkward, just as I imagine it would be.

Great job!
Tonzura123 chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
The science that Harold is constantly using the describe and relate to his surroundings is really what makes his connection to Eustace particularly apparent, and yet you give Eustace plenty of air to be his own character by making him have more emotion and soul mixed into the personality of science- something that calls out to Harold's deepest self, even in a word as small as "Dad" or a subject as invisible as electrons.

Very well done! I really liked Eustace's notes, too. Just so you know. ;D

As Always,

-Tonzura123
Forlorn Kumquat chapter 1 . 2/12/2012
I liked this. I thought you gave Harold a great voice. I love that Eustace didn't give up on his scientific interests after Narnia.
fledge chapter 1 . 2/12/2012
From the books, we never know who the dominant partner in that marriage is, so it might very well be Alberta. Very touching how you present Harold in search of a little affection and how he is afraid of admitting hoe happy he is to be called Dad. The crime of being an only child - it's very rarely that one comes across a bitter line like this that in just a few words says more than a whole chapter could express. Of course this glimpse into Harold and Alberta's relationship seems to be somewhat contradictory to your picture of Alberta in Mother's Musings - but perhaps that's just me.

Transistors are an integral part of communications technology - you don't choose titles and story elements at random, so obviously you want to present an emotional communication between father and son here. An extremely clever approach: Technology as a metaphor for emotional bonding!
Sarai chapter 1 . 2/12/2012
I like it.
LostInWonderland72 chapter 1 . 2/12/2012
This is lovely :) You wrote Harold well, and Alberta very well :) There's not enough stuff about them on here, so this was awesome to find :)