Reviews for In Midnight Sleep
blacknblu30 chapter 5 . 8/11/2012
Are you posting this on twiwrite or somewhere else? I really like the take on Jasper in this and him learning his ability as well as Maria and the sisters. I really hope you finish this one as I really am enjoying it. Please let me know if it has been moved.

JynxxD chapter 5 . 6/17/2012
I'm impressed with your writing abilties. You have well-thought out plots and your style is very fun to read. I like your characterizations and think that you are very talented in conveying feelings and emotions without being repetive or overbearing; a good balance.

The plot of the story is quite gripping and I am looking forward to reading more of Jasper's time with Marie before his way back to Bella.
Flamewhisper chapter 1 . 6/10/2012
I can't believe that I missed this. With as many times that I have read "Leaves of Grass" I thought I had already checked the box for author alert. I am so glad that I found this on your profile. I might have to delay my current rereading of LoG in order to catch up on this story. The first chapter is great so far. I can't wait to continue.
LuckyStar0489 chapter 5 . 5/29/2012
Are you going to continue this story?
hsdeckard chapter 5 . 5/8/2012
I love LoG and I'm so excited to read IMS. You are a fantastic writer and I'm impressed the knowledge of the Civil War that you have put into these stories. I'm sure it is very time consuming to do that research to make sure your stories are accurate to history. Keep up the wonderful work! I am looking forward to reading IMS and anything else you write!
catslovesushi chapter 5 . 5/1/2012
He's slowly trying to figure things out, I like that.

I didn't like the end, the 2 sisters are definitely planning something. BUT, the way Maria worded it, "a week without a reward" I thought that was interesting. It makes me think she's up to something that would be seen as defying her sisters. Of course, I could be completely way off base and it is just a result of my cold-addled brain trying to make sense of things. :)

Thanks for sharing bb! As always, I prefer the element of surprise so no teasers for me. :)

catslovesushi chapter 4 . 5/1/2012
So there is some dissension in the ranks… I like how you're setting things up. Lucy and Nettie are seeing that there is some favoritism and they don't like it. Even the other newborns are getting a little PO'd about his ability.

I like that he's not quite sure how this all works yet (his empathic skills). I really never know what to expect because I always picture Jasper in the absolute darkest pits of hell. So far, he's surviving which is great.

It won't be enough though - at least, I don't think Maria would be satisfied and will push things even further. In my mind that is what will happen.

Okay, onward to the next chappie. :)

Thank you!

jaspersdarkstar chapter 5 . 4/26/2012
The Major… reporting on a successful mission, with two dullards who can’t even appreciate the fact that he covered their a**es. But he’s so confused, how long will it be before he understands his gift? This is killing me.

Are Nettie & Lucy just plain jealous of Jasper? Because Maria has been showing him too much attention? They both seem bent on taking him down. And I hate it, hate them, and I can’t believe it but I want Maria to smack them both for being that way. He endured the test, and was the most in control of his pain and yet because of one little snap he’s being punished? Ugh, how is he going to make it a week… I foresee Maria stepping in, but I could be wrong.

Can't wait till you update :)
jaspersdarkstar chapter 4 . 4/26/2012
I am so enjoying this story so far… yeah, I get carried away with reviewing, but I’ve not read many stories on Jas early times, and this is so detailed, very well done. I see so clearly how the three of them use mind games and a newborn’s natural instincts to their advantage. “We all tensed at the thought of our blood being endangered.”

The way you’ve written Lucy & Nettie, and their disagreement and growing rift with Maria is different than I would have expected. I guess that’s leading up to when they will be taken out? Yeah, and her growing ‘relationship/rewarding’ of Jas… Mind Games…

So this is how he first recognizes what he can’t yet comprehend -his gift. Wow, he just thought of transferring it to them, and then couldn’t figure out what happened. He actually thought there was something wrong with him.
jaspersdarkstar chapter 3 . 4/23/2012
Oh my, baby-vampire-Jasper, how adorable, lol. Just like a toddler whose mommy took away his favorite toy, when he thinks, “Why were they always taking things from me?” And then when Lucy gives him the woman, and he obeys in order to receive his prize, and the venom, I can envision it flowing freely in his mouth & down his chin and, guh, why does that give me butterflies in my stomach? Something seriously disturbed in my head but I loved this: “Before she had finished, my arms were flung wide open and I was nearly choking on the liquid flowing from my mouth. “Such a hungry boy…so much venom.” Yes, I am disturbed, in the very best way.

And oh, how his new gift is perplexing to him, how the emotions feel like they are washing over his body & skin. He’s still not cognizant of his ability. Still so much to learn, and Maria is so wicked but I still can’t suppress the shudder down my spine at, “It was as if we were both feeling the same thing and channeling it back into the room tenfold.”

I really want to hate her, and yet I’m reading a story that is all about his time with her, SO, what to what to do, what to do? I guess I’ll just go with it and enjoy the H*** out of the ‘favorite’ comment. “A mother shouldn't pick favorites, but how could I not with you? Why don't you come to Mama for a reward?"

jaspersdarkstar chapter 2 . 4/22/2012
I actually giggled when he stomped his foot through the stone floor, “How oddly delightful!”

All beautifully written, beginning with his initial paranoia, followed by confusion, with the simple thought, “Understand? I understood nothing,” followed by the fight that broke out and his instincts warring inside him as to what to do, “I was torn between wanting to restore order in the room, wanting to escape, wanting to continue observing the dust motes as they landed on the damp floor, or wanting to kill everyone standing in the room.”

In the end it all comes down to blood, every single time. And I loved this: “Mama? Which one was she? I assumed Maria. I would call her whatever she wanted as long as I got blood. Blood.”

Really great, on to the next…
jaspersdarkstar chapter 1 . 4/22/2012
So beautifully written.

I love your idea of starting this story while he’s in his change, going directly to the burn as opposed to beginning where he first meets Maria- we’re shoved straight into his mind as he tries to work out what is happening to him. The whole inner dialogue as he shifts from questioning the manner of his death, to how he managed to be taken by surprise by the enemy, to concern for the three women (so very ironic), to trying to desperately hold onto memories of his life. And that was heart-wrenching. This is what jumped out at me and made me want to cry for what he lost:

~I saw unfocused flashes of a life—my fingers trembling as I picked long blades of grass, tufts of cotton spread over a field like snow, a familiar bar of music being hummed in my ear. They were fragments, and I could feel the emotion of each image more clearly than I could decipher the facts of them.

Hope. Wonder. Love.~

And then you added this, and I went nuts because I’ve always had this thought in my head, that somewhere at ‘home’ he had a special someone who loved him and was waiting for him to return, and he never did.

Tragic: ~The familiar scenes of soft sheets, sun-warmed ground, and a letter pressed to my lips…~

Then he’s awake and his first kills, and we know/see in our heads what’s happening before he is even aware of what he is.

~Finally, I felt my first total reprieve in what seemed like forever.~

I’m looking forward to reading, knowing this will follow cannon (even though I luv J/B). But I’m very, very happy because this story needs to be written exactly as his true story unfolded. Like a Jasper history lesson, lol. I can’t wait to see how you develop the relationship between him and Maria. *Running to next chapter*
aerobee82 chapter 5 . 4/10/2012
I hate the three of them. That is all.
MrsJasperWhitlock2009 chapter 4 . 4/10/2012
I like how you introduced Peter without actually introducing Peter. At least that's who I'm assuming it is since his nickname for Jasper is Major.
Nissy Padfoot chapter 5 . 4/9/2012