Reviews for Needles
DAIrinchan chapter 4 . 11/5/2016
I like them remembering to visit Hevlaska, too. It’s nice to consider her down below. I’m glad you put some thought into where she came from and why they keep her down there.
I laughed so much at where Komui drew the line. The Science Division blowing things up and all-out battles are fine, but no soccer indoors!
As you said, this is more about the characters than the holiday. I’m glad. It’s just Christmassy enough to set the scene, but not so much it’d put off someone like me. It is a really nice story. Time to go to the sequel.
DAIrinchan chapter 3 . 11/5/2016
I feel bad for Komui, with everyone being scared of him because of his job. He can’t help it if he had a vile predecessor. Well, they’ll get used to him eventually.
Mandel lighting the tree was really cool. That was the kind of great visual that makes me wish this sort of thing could get animated.
D’aawwwww, Lenalee and her friends. And her big bro being cool. He gets overshadowed by the exorcists a lot, but i love Komui.
DAIrinchan chapter 2 . 11/5/2016
Riding a tree back to the Order sounds fun.
There’s the difference between me and Kanda and Lenalee, too. I mean besides the obvious differences in badassery levels, but i love very little sunlight and grey skies. I want to live somewhere where it rains all the time. Snow’s nice too, but i love when it rains.
I love horses too. I can understand why Lenalee’s freaked out about them, but at the same time, my mind has some trouble with the idea of people being afraid of horses. They’re so lovely and sweet! At Lenalee has a valid reason for being afraid of them, unlike some people i’ve heard of. And by the time they reach Town Below, she seems to be warming up to them. At least she likes how much Mary Blue likes Kanda.
I laughed so hard at the kids planning to meet by the de Grayman fountain. That was a nice touch.
DAIrinchan chapter 1 . 11/5/2016
I’m finally reading this! :D I admit i do love Komui’s reaction to the idea of a Christmas tree. Trees in houses? What madness is this? Komui’s reaction was my favorite, but Lenalee and Kanda were really cute about it too. All the kids are super adorable when they play around.
pikaree1 chapter 4 . 8/11/2016
Ah, and so you give a nod to Alma in this chapter... And oh my gosh, Bak! XD It's Bak! I adore Kanda's interactions with Bak and Renée. The spirit stone was an especially nice touch. :3 And the stern talking-to Kanda gave Renée to get her to stop blaming herself. And then he smiled. He SMILED. TwT I am a happy reader. Lenalee's Christmas wish is fulfilled; he's happy. And the part where the entire Asia branch is eating soba... Hehehe, that drew quite a few cackles.
And Daisya! Yes, it figures he's missing his family... Truthfully, I was expecting them to pop up through the Power of Plot Convenience and Happy Endings, something a lot of stories tend to do, but they didn't, and that adds even more realism to the story... Well, as realistic as a story with Hevlaska and candles lit with Innocence can be. But all things considered, he deals with it well.
LEEEENAAAAALEEEEE-CHAAAAAAN! Channeling my inner Komui here because she's just so gosh darn adorable and sweet and marshmallows and AGH I NEED TO HUG SOMETHING. Her gift to Marie was so thoughtful. TwT And the visit to Hevlaska! And when Mandel gave her that apology letter... I really liked that part. :3
And on the matter of Leverrier... ... ... ... ...I somehow get the feeling that his mustache was burnt off once. XD
The bit at the end where Komui read the story and it was the "grown-ups' time" was also enjoyable; the story is mostly seen from the perspective of the children, so the switch to a more subdued but equally happy atmosphere is interesting. All in all, lovely story, and now I need to go read Stars. :)
pikaree1 chapter 3 . 8/11/2016
...and then eventually, everyone grew so familiar with him that they had no problems with pointing out his flaws and antics, most specifically his Komurins. XD I like how you placed a bit of emphasis on how everyone was wary of him because of his predecessor and then the slow trust they're beginning to put into him. And I suppose Lenalee doesn't have enough control over her Dark Boots to use them for the task of gaining altitude quite yet, eh? X) And HOLY CRACKERS MENDAL'S INNOCENCE'S NEXT ACCOMMODATOR IS LAVI! O.O I like how you wove that bit into there; it's another emphasis on the passage of time between this story and the canon. And... D'aww, Lenalee's such a precious cinnamon roll, I want her to hug me, too! XD
Backing up quite a bit to the beginning, oh, Daisya, you should know by now that you should never badmouth Kanda. He's a ninja and will know and will attack you violently. XD 'Eyyyyy, there's my fave general! And the scary general! And the other scary general! And the other mentorly general! And the dude that took Lenalee away, it seems! Hmm... I wonder how Lenalee and Bak met... Way off topic, I know.
pikaree1 chapter 2 . 8/11/2016
*eyes widen* Wow! Daisya's so fast with counting! He even accounted for horse (or some other animal?) droppings! XD I like how you gave Lenalee a liking for stories... And how Kanda told her Japanese myths and used one to help alleviate her fear of horses. And imagining chibi-Kanda asking something politely is absolutely adorable and hilarious, ahaha. XD And Lenalee at the very end...
...
Child, you are SO SWEET. Q-Q LET ME HUG YOU. AND KANDA. AND WHAT THE HECK, DAISYA TOO.
sparklehannah chapter 4 . 8/10/2016
I loved this story. I love how you developed the relationship between Lenalee, Kanda, and Daisya. It's adorable how they acted like big brothers to her and it was great to see Lenalee slowly overcome her fears. I liked how you added in all the changes that came with Komui and how the members of the order began accepting him. I like how you treated Kanda's backstory within the piece too. Even your OCs fit within the story perfectly with a good blend of your own and interpretations of vague characters barely mentioned. I love the development on all fronts of this heartwarming story. Great work.
pikaree1 chapter 1 . 7/11/2016
Too cute. *rolls around muffling squees with a pillow* Too cute, too cute, too cute! The gap is bridged! Sort of! Probably! And I love how Daisya basically says that out of all of them, Lenalee's the one Kanda tolerates the most. XD And I'm just imagining the scene at the end where Kanda is comforting Lenalee... *breaks off into another round of squealing* SO CUTE!
(And it figures Kanda would just tromp around grumpily and chop down the trees with one swing. XD)
Maria Albert chapter 4 . 6/17/2015
What a beautifully written story! It deserves far more attention than it has received. You provided a fascinating look into Lenalee, Daisya and Kanda’s early lives. I think the summary unfortunately makes people think this is simply a Christmas story, when instead it is an intensive look into the history of these complex characters. The story is complete, even without the missing final chapter you mentioned, and well worth the read, the best D. Gray-Man story I’ve read to date.
Firestar'sniece chapter 1 . 12/13/2014
Dear AutumnMobile12,

1st chapter...

Okay, I have to admit that I'm a little confused. But that's probably because I've never seen the show before.

Out of curiosity, why did the previous administration ban Christmas? That, and I didn't understand the part about the holy war.

And for the new year, well, I'm related to people in China and the Chinese have their new year a few months after Christmas, so I'm confused as to how it would clash.

But the grammar and spelling are good, and it's well written, as far as I can tell. You always have been an excellent writer.

That's pretty funny that some don't see the point. Out of curiosity, if they don't see the point of chopping down the tree, why not order an artificial one?

Sincerely,

Firestar'sniece
Ebony Lee chapter 4 . 3/10/2014
Aww, this is such a cute and heartwarming story!
Guest chapter 4 . 2/5/2014
This is a nice story, Im glad there will be one more chapter, this one did feel like an ending. I think Kanda was probably too OOC for me in places here, but it seems you were going for a happier feel/ending so it makes sense why.
I look forward to the last chapter!
Guest chapter 3 . 2/4/2014
This is awesome, I really like the way you write the 3 as kids together.
karina001 chapter 4 . 12/13/2013
It was wonderful to read a new Needles chapter and I look forward to another. Its a nicely different aspect, this look at the Order. And most certainly entertaining.