Reviews for A Necessary Nudge
LunaStorm chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
Although it is completely unbelievable in that age for a young girl like Susan to be doing an errand unchaperoned, and worse, address a man on her own, albeit an acquaintance, I find I enjoyed their conversation, as modern as it is. It's too bad none of Fanny's brothers, except William who isn't there anyway, are at all able to take her place in this scene.
Crawford is also rather IC through it all, except for the sentence about Fanny not being a prize - that, I feel, is a realization he wouldn't have come so easily nor so soon: you don't shed the habits of thought that easily and he has been used his whole life to thinking in terms of 'conquering' benefits from those around him. Despite this, you did a good job capturing his earnestness and the rather cavalier way he acknowledges his own character, it's very in tune with canon.
Mariagoner chapter 1 . 7/31/2012
Very well written, very polished, and a very interesting slant on Susan, Fanny, and Henry alike! Fantastic work indeed.
NaomiBlue chapter 1 . 5/3/2012
I completely agree with you about the potential of Henry Crawford. Fanny/Henry is the only couple I ship for Mansfield Park. I liked that you used Susan as the means of causing Henry to do the necessary reflection to win over Fanny.
DGfleetfox chapter 1 . 3/29/2012
Good sotry, I always did wish for Fanny to choose Henry. I don't think she gave him enough credit, he had the potential to be a really good man with her as a wife. It's just creepy that she married her cousin, though I know that sort of thing was done in the past. This should have more reviews, it's well written, and I like the idea. Also, I like Susan's character :)
TheLadyW chapter 1 . 2/15/2012
"Mansfield Park" has always been my least favorite Austen novel. I never understood why Mr. Crawford wasn't allowed to better himself, especially when he was obviously making a (what I felt was genuine) effort. And the relationship between Fanny and Edmund.. lusting after your first-cousin whom you have grown up with is just not right. That relationship was familial, not sexual. But I digress.

I appreciate your take on allowing Henry to continue to improve himself and the recognition that a worthwhile partner is not a prize to be won. I feel perhaps that it is a little too severe to require a cut to all of Henry's ties to his original personality. Maturity and change are natural and good, but cold-turkey attitude transplants rarely stick and are justifiably suspicious.

Overall though it is well done and I thank you for sharing it.