Reviews for Skin Deep
annaharding chapter 1 . 10/5/2013
Interesting story. I have to say, though, I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have some bit of "foreign" blood in their background. Never met anyone whose ancestors came over on the Mayflower. Me - I have German, Irish, French, and Norwegian blood sloshing around.
It is so sad that people (especially kids) have to put up with prejudice and taunting. Thanx for writing a story with characters that overlooked the differences.
kneon chapter 1 . 2/28/2012
Interesting twist. I liked how you used your own nationality to example how hard it is.
twidorkxx16 chapter 1 . 2/21/2012
It's actually good. Being a Filipina myself, and being born and raised in the Philippines, of course I speak Tagalog. A little too formal and awkward, but there is always space for changes, right? Story and plot are really good. Just a little too, uh, on the Tagalog but that's it. I understand that you don't really speak Tagalog, and that's okay. Good story. :)
amandac3 chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
Thanks for writing and good luck in the contest. :)
Shamatt0403 chapter 1 . 2/19/2012
That was cute. My sister in law's parents are from the Philippines and my family is a complete mix of Irish, German and Dutch. I have the most beautiful niece and nephew, who I might add is probably about your age. My husband is half Jewish and half Irish. One daughter has dark hair and eyes and my youngest has bright blue eyes and blond hair. Isn't it a wonderful thing to live in the melting pot of a country? Good luck with your continued writing.
sisik chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
great story and very original Edward

well done
Lady Dragona chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
This is a great story. I love how you are showing racial predjudice is not good, but unfortunately in some areas it is still very common. Well done.
tristenandclive chapter 1 . 2/15/2012
THIS IS AWESOME! I'M A FILIPINA, SO I APPRECIATE THIS FIC. IT'S NICE TO READ ABOUT A FILIPINOWARD, THIS IS THE FIRST STORY THAT I'VE READ WITH HIM BEING A FILIPINO. LOVED IT.
fayette13 chapter 1 . 2/15/2012
hi there, i'm not trying to be rude or anything, but i think you need to work on your Tagalog. i'm a Filipino and although Tagalog is not my first language (quite a lot of dialects here in the Philippines), i'm fluent at it (not trying to brag). what i'm trying to say is, if you need help for some translations i would be very happy to lend a hand. your translations were too literal, and although the words are correct, they were a bit out of context once they were put together. i'd like to point out some things:

'This project doesn't look too bad' - 'Ang proyektong ito ay hindi masyadong masamang tingnan' (a little bit too formal and awkward) or 'Hindi naman masyadong masamang tingnan ang proyektong ito' (more conversational)

you used 'tumingin', which roughly translates to 'to look at something'. but 'tingnan' is somewhat more appropriate, because it pertains to the object being looked at. makes sense? sorry, i'm having difficulty explaining here..

the rest of the Filipino sentences sounded awkward too. sorry.. i'm not trying to ridicule you or anything. just trying to point something out.. anyways, the story was great actually, although i must say that the Filipino-Japanese enmity is not that bad. although Filipinos haven't forgotten what happened during the Japanese regime, we don't actually 'hate' on the later generation that much..

anyways, congratulations on your latest fic, and i'm really happy to see someone putting her Filipino connection in good use. just don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like some help in the translations. :)

hope you wont feel bad for this. just trying to help.. :)