Reviews for Save Me From The Dark
Woman of Letters chapter 1 . 11/22/2015
Supernatural Fanfiction Monthly Awards Review:

This story contained deep characterization - you could see and feel both Sam and Dean keenly throughout. In addition, the Wendigo mask - unearthed by Sam in the first scene - became a symbol of Dean's relationship with Ben and his desire to maintain a connection to the boy. It was ironic that you picked the Wendigo mask as this symbol as for most folks, a scary Halloween mask represents the Supernatural... For Dean, it represented his role as a father, in a normal life - a life that is now lost to him. The only remnant he has is the Halloween mask.

You extended this conflict of hunting (symbolized in the first scene by the rifle) vs. normalcy (the Halloween mask) by bringing in Dean's relationship to Kristy in the episode Adventures in Babysitting, and his efforts to make sure that she, like Ben, would not become a hunter but would have a normal life. Your transitions into the flashback scenes worked well, and I'm not even sure you needed the headers - in fact, they jolted me a little out of the story. I knew the first flashback took place in Halloween of the year Dean had stopped hunting and was with Lisa and Ben, so I didn't need to see the month and year in the header. Similarly, you already said that the scene with Kristy took place several hours ago, so we didn't need the "24 hours earlier" header.

Either way, I found it easy to follow Dean's conflict through the story, his struggle to keep going when he's had to give up Lisa and Ben, and now he's lost Bobby and Cas. I loved the hug at the end - the idea that Sam's going to be there for him, he's not going to let him go into that dark night alone, no matter what.

The line that I felt really epitomized Dean here was "Can't say I really give a shit about healthy right now, Sammy."

Where I would do a little tightening is the first scene, where I found there to be some repetition that stood out to me. For example, you use the word "distinctly" twice in one sentence in the first paragraph; is there any way you could avoid that repetition? Also, in your second sentence in the paragraph beginning "With a grimace," you repeat the word "trunk". I don't find these repetitions in the rest of the story, however - the writing seems more fluid and the pace more even from the second scene on.

Overall, I loved this story - Sam's trying to take care of Dean, his resistance, him finally opening up to his brother, the scenes with both Ben and Kristy, and the brotherly moment at the end. Great work!
SPN Mum chapter 1 . 11/20/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review: November 2015

This was a really good story, but I felt that the last flashback of Krissy was a bit too long. It took the emphasis off of what was happening between Sam and Dean. I enjoyed the memories, and the insights they provided, but by the time Sam and Dean were in the car and talking, the Krissy flashback took too long and was a little too involved. I really enjoyed the end, with the hug that Sam initiated, bringing the boys back together as brothers, and making their struggle a mutual one again.
TheYmp chapter 1 . 11/14/2015
I enjoyed the dialogue in the 'Krissy' flashback the most. I liked the idea of linking via characters that Dean has nurtured, and each section worked well in its own right but I think there could have a been a bit more flow or interplay between them.

I did think that Sam’s temper escalated very suddenly in the bar at the beginning, and both he and Dean got very emotional much quicker than I'd expect from the show (I get that it's H/C), but other than that they "sounded" like the characters.

Good story, it made me want to go back and re-watch those episodes!
Catasauqua chapter 1 . 11/6/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards: November

Let me begin by telling you how much I loved the flashback of Dean and Ben. You captured them so perfectly, it's now become my personal head-canon.

However, I feel Sam and Dean were a bit out of character. I understand what you were aiming for, but I think you went a little too far, uncomfortably so, with the weepy Dean.

That being said, your story was well written and formatted, free of grammatical errors and - it bears mentioning again - had an awesome flashback!

Cat
SPNReadingManiac chapter 1 . 8/31/2013
This is a great story! Sorry I didn't read it through earlier, but I really enjoyed it, and the characterisations, especially Sam's, were very strong and very clear. I liked the flashbacks to the parts of the year Dean spent in Cicero, although I really don't buy the Dean/Lisa thing, you handled the topic in a refreshingly adult and understanding way that was very enjoyable to read. Great work!
tvj12 chapter 1 . 5/20/2012
Good story. I liked how you had all those conversations that 'should' have happened but couldn't in the tv timeline. The voices of Sam and Dean felt accurate to the the way the characters are portrayed on the series. Good job with the writing; thanks for sharing. -tvj12
BlackIceWitch chapter 1 . 2/15/2012
A very good look into Dean and Sam's mind states in Season 7. Dialogue is great, characterisations great and the descriptive passages were evocative and well-written!