Reviews for Everything You Wanted To Know About LotR
This is a great guide! While I DID know some of this, I learned a lot from this fic. Thanks for the tips!
RainbowOctopus chapter 3 . 2/2
I am so very very very grateful for your compilation here! As a fan (ahem, obsessor) of all things Tolkien, this is a wonderful tool when I need to remember something or other for a fanfiction idea, especially if I am not in the mood to go searching through the Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales. Everything here is quite spot on, and I am in love with it.
Caitydubbelyew chapter 12 . 7/19/2014
THANK-YOU for the summary! It's so much easier to go looking through this 'story' for information than looking at my bookshelf and going, "Hmm... I wonder which book will have the info I need." then looking through the unfinished Tales, The appendices and the Silmarillion to try and find the bit that I need and then remember that it isn't in any of those, but rather mentioned in the Narn i Chîn Húrin or something of the sort. The Internet is somewhat helpful but I like to just double check as there are so many different versions for some stories.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
These twelve chapters were more than useful. I have read Silmarillion etc. (except Children of Hurin), but this helped me to classify information and I also got great advices. I love to create OC and I am interested in AU so you really cheered me with this guide. It was also fun to read because of your wonderful styles of writing, little notes like *coughsauroncough* (he is my favourite maia to) and friendly approach. This guide is really amazing.
bedtimehymns chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
Such a brief, yet very useful and easy to understand guide to Tolkien's world! I absolutely love your opinion on research for fanfiction, which I wholeheartedly agree to. Thank you so much for putting in so much effort into this so that people like me, who haven't read the books (although, in my defence, I am reading the Silmarillion) and are in desperate need of a lesson in "Middle Earth 101" can increase the quality of their fics :)
Bushwah chapter 12 . 5/9/2013
I can't argue with anything you say. Tolkien is a linguist, so his admirers should study bits of languages he made to recreate works inspired by his.

My favorite definition of 'Mary-Sue' (one that is often overlooked as obvious) is "a girl from modern times who falls through a portal into Middle-Earth". Or, worse, with some insanely complicated explanation that bears have no resemblance to Tolkien's magic.

Perhaps you should warn your readers against the dangers of a Modern Human AU, and suggest that if they want a spotlight OC that they create them from the richness of Tolkien's world. No one ever bothers to do that; they just dress themselves in pink tutus and jump to Middle-Earth on the Mary-Sue Teleportation Service. I've even started hating the MSTS in parodies, for its sheer cliché power. It's been an undead horse trope for a long time.
Typewriter101 chapter 8 . 1/9/2013
Your guide/story helps me alot!(and probably others) so i thank you!
Josatex chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
I've read The Hobbit and the LotR trilogy, and I'd like to know more about the universe, so this looks like it'll be fun to read :)
5SecstoThrowItFB chapter 12 . 10/16/2012
Thank you so much for this!
5SecstoThrowItFB chapter 8 . 10/16/2012
You should add that Black speech is almost undeveloped because Tolkien hated it so much that when he got a cup with the Ring inscription from a fan, he was dismayed and used it only as an ashtray!
Cretha Loesing chapter 12 . 9/1/2012
And the world is supposed to end this year! ('12) [must be unintentional foreshadowing.]
"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks."
It has truelly been a wonderful expirience reading your story!
Thank you for it!
The M.H.T.of R chapter 10 . 8/25/2012
Wait, who did Dior kill again? I forget.
Oh, and for the Legolas bio, you should have done more. He is likely the most sadly misused character in all LOTR.
Certh chapter 12 . 8/21/2012
Great ending! The whole guide was quite wonderful and very valuable. I tip my hat! C.
MsLovesToRead789 chapter 12 . 8/21/2012
Thanks for another great chapter guys and the response :)
Guest chapter 3 . 8/20/2012
I love this so much. You're the best!
55 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »