Reviews for Everything You Wanted To Know About LotR
Guest chapter 4 . 12/13/2016
If I say something in these reviews that you address later in these posts know that I am writing as I read them.

You are doing great though, it is nice to see someone who knows almost as much as I do.

One reason I know more is because I share a commonality with the professor himself, I am a member of the one holy Catholic and apostolic Church!

VIVA CHRISTO REY
Awesomesause chapter 3 . 12/13/2016
Two tidbits
Namo and Irmo, also known as Mandos and Lorien.

Sauron was nowhere near able to conquer the undying lands he merely tried to get the Numinorians to attack and in turn destroy themselves.
Guest chapter 2 . 12/13/2016
Just wanted to but pick here on two things.
First: Luthien was granted the choice of reviving (for lack of a better word) in Valinor or to take Beren back to middle earth and accept the fate of the second born, in essence becoming human.
Second: the fate of men after death is known. They sure and leave the world to go to the halls of Iluvatar, where all the children will be at the end of the world. Hence it is ambiguous whether or not it is better to be a man or an elf, you either die sooner and go to " heaven" or you live until the end of the world and have special gifts. Hence the saying "even the Valar may envy the gift of men"
Number Girl chapter 12 . 3/11/2016
Oh yes! YES!
Indeed, I have been waiting AGES for someone to address these subjects, and you have done it INCREDIBLY!
I have taken much from this in regards to knowledge, writing tips, styles, do's, don'ts, and "altogether avoid", and hope that I may in future write things properly!
Guest chapter 12 . 5/26/2015
This is a great guide! While I DID know some of this, I learned a lot from this fic. Thanks for the tips!
Eryntar chapter 3 . 2/2/2015
I am so very very very grateful for your compilation here! As a fan (ahem, obsessor) of all things Tolkien, this is a wonderful tool when I need to remember something or other for a fanfiction idea, especially if I am not in the mood to go searching through the Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales. Everything here is quite spot on, and I am in love with it.
Cheers!
Caitydubbelyew chapter 12 . 7/19/2014
THANK-YOU for the summary! It's so much easier to go looking through this 'story' for information than looking at my bookshelf and going, "Hmm... I wonder which book will have the info I need." then looking through the unfinished Tales, The appendices and the Silmarillion to try and find the bit that I need and then remember that it isn't in any of those, but rather mentioned in the Narn i Chîn Húrin or something of the sort. The Internet is somewhat helpful but I like to just double check as there are so many different versions for some stories.
Guest chapter 1 . 6/6/2014
These twelve chapters were more than useful. I have read Silmarillion etc. (except Children of Hurin), but this helped me to classify information and I also got great advices. I love to create OC and I am interested in AU so you really cheered me with this guide. It was also fun to read because of your wonderful styles of writing, little notes like *coughsauroncough* (he is my favourite maia to) and friendly approach. This guide is really amazing.
bedtimehymns chapter 2 . 2/2/2014
Such a brief, yet very useful and easy to understand guide to Tolkien's world! I absolutely love your opinion on research for fanfiction, which I wholeheartedly agree to. Thank you so much for putting in so much effort into this so that people like me, who haven't read the books (although, in my defence, I am reading the Silmarillion) and are in desperate need of a lesson in "Middle Earth 101" can increase the quality of their fics :)
Bushwah chapter 12 . 5/9/2013
I can't argue with anything you say. Tolkien is a linguist, so his admirers should study bits of languages he made to recreate works inspired by his.

My favorite definition of 'Mary-Sue' (one that is often overlooked as obvious) is "a girl from modern times who falls through a portal into Middle-Earth". Or, worse, with some insanely complicated explanation that bears have no resemblance to Tolkien's magic.

Perhaps you should warn your readers against the dangers of a Modern Human AU, and suggest that if they want a spotlight OC that they create them from the richness of Tolkien's world. No one ever bothers to do that; they just dress themselves in pink tutus and jump to Middle-Earth on the Mary-Sue Teleportation Service. I've even started hating the MSTS in parodies, for its sheer cliché power. It's been an undead horse trope for a long time.
Typewriter101 chapter 8 . 1/9/2013
Your guide/story helps me alot!(and probably others) so i thank you!
Josatex chapter 1 . 1/5/2013
I've read The Hobbit and the LotR trilogy, and I'd like to know more about the universe, so this looks like it'll be fun to read :)
5SecstoThrowItFB chapter 12 . 10/16/2012
Thank you so much for this!
5SecstoThrowItFB chapter 8 . 10/16/2012
You should add that Black speech is almost undeveloped because Tolkien hated it so much that when he got a cup with the Ring inscription from a fan, he was dismayed and used it only as an ashtray!
Deleted11152015 chapter 12 . 9/1/2012
Bravo!
And the world is supposed to end this year! ('12) [must be unintentional foreshadowing.]
"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks."
It has truelly been a wonderful expirience reading your story!
Thank you for it!