Reviews for The Road to Nowhere
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 5/1/2014
An incredible portrait of Draco Malfoy, postwar, in your universe. I think he should check into that unresolved spell damage; being around Bellatrix Lestrange is definitely hazardous to anyone's health (and could probably compare notes with Ms. Granger about what fun time people around dear Bella generally have). Though he was wired funny to begin with, if being slapped by Hermione was so very exciting to him.

It is distressing to see one's family erased from history, more or less; but at least the Malfoys still exist, at least for now.

Snape doesn't even make the Virtuous Slytherins list; he's even more of a nonperson than any Malfoy, since it's pretty clear that Draco has forgotten him too.

But then, they say that nice Ms. Granger is very good with Memory Charms...
CecilieDK chapter 1 . 11/4/2012
thanks for an intriguing one-shot - how about continuing it ?
Best wishes
Cecilie (Denmark)
Kagou chapter 1 . 5/19/2012
Cool. Love the Draco on this one. This was unlike anything I've read before. How disappointing that it is this short.
IridescentInTheDark chapter 1 . 4/11/2012
Dark, thought provoking and visually interrelated. I like it. It's also very well written, which enhances the story. Beautifully soulful of course. Still, don't know why you put humor on the genre. Anyway, lovely. XD
Shadow82ABN chapter 1 . 3/13/2012
yes indeed.

#1F approves.
Equilly chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
A fantastic story, as per usual. The characters are well-rounded and disturbing, and of course beautifully well-written. Draco's dreams reminded me of a story by Cortazar- I think it's called something like "Noche de la Boca Arriba," what with the Aztecs and the sacrifice. Your writing is beautiful; I love how full of imagery it is.
eau-bleu chapter 1 . 2/21/2012
I will definitely have to read this again. It was brilliant. Exeptionally well done. Lots of detail, subtle humour, and a wonderful use of movie vs. book.

Despite what Euclidian says - and what a crock that review was, spitful and useless. Concrit is always welcome when you write but to bash someone's work like that is a foul. "Below your capabilities?" Utter nonsense. The effort you expended is visable and I'm jealous of your ability to wrap your ideas - political, social and moral into the JKR world so well. You have a gift.

Thank you for this piece and for being a wonderful sounding board with my own work.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 2/19/2012
Vera, this is brilliant. I normally have little interest in Draco as a character, but you've made him nothing short of compelling here - complex, layered, real. He's not excused or romanticized, yet we can have a sneaking affection for him: because he's intelligent, he's aware, he has self-knowledge and bitter humor even when he seems most mad. It's lines like this one that make him appealing (in his own way, of course): "failed assassin, conspicuously incompetent evil-doer and thoroughly disappointing baby Death Eater." And this one: "in spite of their icy mien, the Malfoy men were hotheads, and if he were ice-cold in examining the record, rather less brilliant than one would have expected from the lords of creation."

I love the complicated ways you play with psychology and ambiguity here, with the lines between dreams and reality. You mention Keats, and I can't help but remember a line of his (from a letter, I think), where he talks about Adam's dream of Eve - "he awoke and found it true." I have some of that feeling here: Draco's reality, whatever it is, straddles the "real" and mental worlds just as his physical reality straddles the visible and invisible in the metaphor with which the story opens.

And your writing - just top-notch, as always, as are the perception and depth of your political insights. There are so many wonderful touches (like Neville strating to sound like his gran, and all the perfect cameos) that to point them all out would exhaust the comment space. But I'm definitely going to be returning to this story: there's too much here to take in with just one reading.

Oh, and I adore the reference to British boarding school stories. Such a lovely meta touch, especially to me (I've read dozens of them). You and Draco are absolutely right, of course: he both does and does not live in an Edwardian "world in which the Right Sort and the Wrong Sort both kept their place in the Great Chain of Being and no breath of change disturbed the foliage of cloistered gardens."

Great job.
Sook03 chapter 1 . 2/19/2012
How interesting.
Swallow B chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
The categories you put this story in - humour and horror - make it intriguing. It is difficult to categorise this story.

Anyway, this was some good re-immersing into Draco's post-war world. You do a great job of getting into his head. Everything is so very in character. I like the ambiguity of this story, its feeling of real unrealness. Draco himself is rather confused. He is just seeking some kind of escape and relief from it all, while fantasising that Hermione's hatred could give him some self-respect, something to live for.

I can understand why Draco would like nineteenth century Muggle novels. He sees them as terribly daring

, because they are Muggle, which means forbidden, but his choice is so innoffensive. I like the way he finds the "flat and frozen Muggle photographs" "terrifying". They are dead, in a way. No illusion of life.

The way you used the film version as a dream, an alternative reality, was an excellent idea. The dream shows him the truth: Draco never did choose a side, he was thrown into a role, into what was expected of him. The only choice he consciously made was to care about his mother.

Even the staff of the Prophet looks through him. He has reached the bottom.

I liked the line "it wasn't one of his disquieting and humiliating dreams. It was disquieting and humiliating reality." Which is worse.

And of course, the whole Godstein connection. I am not sure how Anthony fits in here, but it's interesting how you have fleshed out his uncle. I can very well see him living in the Old City, a magic place if there is one. And the post-war Paris detail is an invitation for me to write more about him.
SavvyIthny chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
I was so excited when I got an author alert for you! Admittedly, I was hoping for a new chapter of one of the long pieces, but this was a wonderful piece on its own. It clearly lives in the same section of the universe as your others, with many commonalities.

The idea of Hogwarts creating its own public-school perversions in its graduates is an awesome one, by the way.

I like the image of Hermione as "Potter's logistics officer.' Yes, she really was a general (which makes JKR's version of her in the epilogue even more frustrating to me).

Can never get too much of your Neville, either.

Wonderful, and thank you.
silverbirch chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
Now, that was a good story. Correction, it was brilliant. Beyond brilliant.

I started of sort of joining in the general jeering and hooting at the Malfoy's spectacular fall from grace, and felt a bit ashamed of myself at the end.

Draco's such a damaged character that you can't help but feel sympathy for his plight, coupled with a frustration that his pride – based on history and family and keeping up appearances – won't let him seek help.

He's turned a fetish for forbidden fruit into a perversion, something he can finally use to punish himself seeing as his society chose not to do so...directly. The great irony is that his cowardice saved him from prison but gave him a life sentence with no possibility of parole or redemption.

Three particular areas stood out.

Draco reading Tom Brown's School Days. Hogwarts as it should have been for him, yet a bunch of oiks managed to ruin it all. Even worse he's compared to Flashman, yet he's a failure who can't even compare to his “role model”. The original (in a second life) goes on – whilst still being a bully and coward – to end up a very rich hero. A Knight of the Realm and VC, no less.

Secondly, the brilliant merging of book canon with film canon. How much more poetic, and visual, the “crumpling implosion of black ash” was than the “mundane finally” of death that actually happened.

Finally, true erotic writing at it's very best. We all knew, and could picture, what was happening, yet we were told nothing. Then, just to put the final edge of disgrace and sordidness on it, Granger still can't resist being the prefect making sure it all stays within the rules and doesn't get too risky.
lupuslady chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
Really good fic. Good job
tambrathegreat chapter 1 . 2/16/2012
This was absolutely beautiful, haunting, and epically sad. Thanks for writing Draco with such skill.

This is going directly to my favorites file.
Euclidian chapter 1 . 2/16/2012
Sorry, you lost me with this one. Malfoy and Hermione meet by chance in a muggle hotel, and she, with no explanation, just goes along with his fantasy. BTW, his dream/fantasy may be weird, but it is NOT psychotic. If his fantasy were that Hermione would enter into acting out the fantasy, that would be understandable. But, you have written it as if Hermione is acting in 'real' time. What you describe is totally inconsistent with her character. It might work if it were clear that H is acting in her own fantasy about M - but that's not how you've written it.

I see that you've made TruantPony happy, but I, for one, would be happier if you would go back to your unfinished major works, because, this one is way beneath your capabilities.