Reviews for The Aftertaste of Death
MikuMagic chapter 20 . 7/23
I gotta say, this was a wonderful story and it had me hooked throughout it. It didn't go on random unneeded tangents like many other stories on this site do and really lived up to the source material imho.

It also has one of the sadder endings that I've read. You've actually created a conflict within myself because of that though. On one hand I'm sad that in the end Linda was seen as an insane murderer and Light (officially) seen as just another victim. But on the other hand, I feel like Linda was content with this result. She may have died and been convicted but she accepted that in order to not become as bad as Light. So I am unsure if I should be happy that in the end, sad as it was, Linda defeats Light and is content in death after her last footprint on the world is finished, or sad that she couldn't find a overall happier outcome to her struggle against odds infinitely over her head.

Anyway great story and great job actually seeing it through to the end and finishing it. (since I gather from the author notes that it wasn't easy to do.) I would also like to thank you for writing and sharing this story, I enjoyed it greatly.
Moira chapter 20 . 12/4/2014
This is gorgeous.
Pump Maeson chapter 20 . 11/8/2014
Originally I had been reading this story from the beginning, when it was only a few chapters in. I had followed it for a while, but at some point I had lost track of it. Somewhere around chapter 14. Well, while browsing through the Death Note fanfics lazily, I remembered, "Oh shit! I wonder if that story about Linda has updated!"

Well, not only did it update, but it had finished several months ago. I feel like a fool who has arrived at a party when all the other guests have gone home. There's a sadness in knowing that not only did the story finish, but it finished for everyone else long ago...

Ah well, enough with the melodrama. What to say, well... Overall, it was quite good. Linda was an interesting character, and I'm glad that she wasn't as smart as L, or Near, or Mello. She was the poorest possible solution, in a sense.

I was a bit disappointed that Light didn't win. I mean, if he beat both L and Near I would expect him to get out of this quite easily, since Linda wasn't quit the intellect he was used to going up against. Still, Light being defeated in itself isn't quite a bad turn, but I do dislike the fact that his death is always the same in all incarnations. Shot, then killed by Ryuk. How typical.

On the other hand, Light's death was redeemed by the fact that Linda herself didn't get a happy ending, and she died in a similar fashion - killed by Ryuk it would seem. I enjoyed that Linda in the end was not so different from Light himself. And she was corrupted without even once using the notebook! Fitting in a way, I suppose.

It was also sort of sweet how Linda was able to forgive Light in the end. It's tragic the two weren't able to interact outside of circumstances where they were doomed to kill one another. Linda seems like a good match for Light. She's a mirror version of him, but also his opposite.

The shipper in me is sad that they didn't hook up, with Linda replacing Mikami as Light's apprentice and cohort, or something like that. I suppose it's a testament to the writing that Linda was such a real character that I could see her as an asset to Light and not just a rival. But perhaps that's a story for a different writer to tackle.

Another nice moment near the end was when Light had to kill that taxi driver and the detective fellow (the names of which elude me), but realized that by killing two truly innocent people for the sake of an experiment he was crossing a line he must never cross again. (Not that he had the chance, but it's the thought that counts.) Showing that there was still some level of humanity left in his blackened husk of a soul.

And now, much like Linda I must apologize. Apologize for not being able to review this sooner. It feels like such a waste doing it now when the story is all over, and there's not much left to be gained by my thoughts. At the very least, take solace in the fact that at least one more person out there enjoyed your story.

To sum it up: Good job. I didn't regret reading it. It was fun while it lasted.
DragonSong17 chapter 20 . 9/4/2014
Yeesh. Grim from start to finish, but considering that the subject matter is Death Note, I suppose that makes sense. I really like the description of the painting at the end, it was very haunting and thought-provoking. The only thing that bothers me is her death... since it was a heart attack, did Ryuk kill her? I doubt he'd do that on his own, like he did with Light, so did she ask him to? If so, it's kind of ironic that she kills Light for enforcing his own "justice" and then turns around and does the same thing... at least her "justice" mostly only affects herself, though. Anyhow, congratulations on another story completed! They get better every time too, so I'm definitely looking forward to the next one! :)
Magus1108 chapter 20 . 7/17/2014
An unorthodox epilogue, but fitting nonetheless. I particularly liked the bit about Linda's final painting; it was very haunting, yet very fitting. A shame too that Linda died not long after the painting was submitted, but I suppose it makes sense. With that out of the way, I guess there wasn't much left for her, and so she let Ryuk kill her.

It's sad to see this fic come to an end, but it's been an enjoyable read, from start to finish. One of the best Death Note fanfics I've read, that's for sure.

Good luck with any of your future projects, and take care! :D
WhiteLadyDragon chapter 20 . 7/13/2014
I really should be wrapping up my report for lab but when I saw the 'lert in my email for this I just had to check it out. This was a short but nonetheless wonderful way to tie this whole thing up. I really admire those that are able to say what they meant to in as few words as they need; I know I can't do that. The last part with the critique of Linda's drawing-the kind that you might see next to a piece of art at a museum-gave me chills and it's 90 degrees outside right now. These last few chapters give me quite a lot to think about.

Though I have to say I'm anxious about how Sachiko might have reacted when she got that letter, assuming that she did. And Dave with his, for that matter.

And of course, congratulations for finishing this story! It always does me good to see a good story get a proper send-off.
Magus1108 chapter 19 . 7/7/2014
Well, this was an interesting chapter! One step closer to the end, unfortunately, but I suppose all good things must end eventually.

A bit surprising that Linda turned herself in, but it makes sense, I suppose. She made the right choice in the end. Though I feel sorry for her; even if she killed Kira, no one will ever know, and she'll still be put on trial for the murder of Light Yagami, even if she was arguably right on killing him.

Poor girl. I hope she gets some sort of semblance of a happy ending...

And Ryuk's sticking around, if just for the time being. Wonder what's gonna happen with him.

Great chapter, as always! Keep up the awesome work! :D
WhiteLadyDragon chapter 19 . 7/6/2014
What a powerful chapter this was, and we're not even at the epilogue yet. I really liked the pathos and philosophical undertones of this chapter. Unfortunately I couldn't foresee a happy ending coming out of this no-how and it seems we thought the same way. I can't believe Mr. Temple's going to have to go on knowing that he only has one more month to live; how do you go on with that in mind?

And how should you cope with the idea of taking a life if you ever found yourself in that situation, never mind whose it was? Linda's predicament is a fascinating one, and I think it's giving me some ideas for my own story. Here's to hoping that I can handle such a loaded subject as delicately and masterfully as you have here.

Eagerly anticipating the epilogue!
DragonSong17 chapter 18 . 3/30/2014
Oh. Oh my. Well you done messed up, Light. And serves you right.
I'm very glad Linda did this with a gun rather than the Notebook. She didn't use any spectacular reasoning or otherworldly shinigami tricks. Her ways were very human and a bit messy which just made it that much better when she finally did bring Kira and his Olympian ego down.
This was an intense chapter- my eyes were glued to the screen even while my roommate and her fiancee were chasing each other around the room with squirt bottles (which was pretty much the entire time). I look forward to the next one!
WhiteLadyDragon chapter 18 . 3/29/2014
Wowie wow wow! I didn't get the chance to read this last night but now that I have...

I can't believe this is only the third-to-last chapter! Even though Light is now a goner he managed to ruin Linda too. Can't say I wasn't expecting that. It's so strange how a smart guy like him could be still be taken down by someone supposedly lesser than him. Although I couldn't help but notice that this time around Light is asking Ryuk not to kill him for the sake of the world, not just because he doesn't want to die like in the manga. In either case, he seems much more restrained here than he looked in the manga and anime.

I wonder what you're going to do for the next two chapters now that Light's dead?
Magus1108 chapter 18 . 3/28/2014
Holy shit.

Well. Um. That happened.

And thus ends the life of one Light Yagami...

Damn. I didn't see this coming, but all the same, it was wonderfully done. Light severely underestimated what Linda was capable of when backed up in a corner, and he paid for that price dearly, I'll say. Such is his hubris; the one person he didn't think was even a worthy opponent, ended up being the one to kill him.

Very fascinating.

And what's next for Linda, I wonder? Kira is dead, but her life is pretty much up in smoke now. Even if she does get cleared for the murder of Roger, nothing will ever be the same again. Poor girl. Makes me wish I could give her a hug...

This has been a blast to read, from beginning to end! Can't wait to see what happens next! Keep up the smashing work! :)
DragonSong17 chapter 17 . 3/15/2014
Oh my. I'm glad that Mikami at least didn't die blinded by Light (no pun intended). I'm really curious as to what Linda's next move is going to be. Really, now that she has her hands on the Death Note, she has everything she needs to take care of Kira right there. Maybe she could even join in on the framing of Mikami, and make it look like Kira's last act before his ironic death. I feel like she won't though, as doing so would make Light Yagami's death heroic, rather than disclosing him to be the murderous psychopath that he is. I'm going to feel bad for his mother and sister though, if he is proven to be Kira in the end, or even if he just dies. It's going to break them, and they're already pretty broken.
I'm looking forward to the next chapter!
WhiteLadyDragon chapter 17 . 2/26/2014
Oh my Lord. So that's why Light made him do that. I guess it was only a matter of time before Light disposed of him too...

Did Light just kill him using the Death Note? I can't tell! I hate it when I can't tell.

But still, what a fantastic chapter, especially since it was all in Mikami's POV. I actually felt for the guy. Not that I ever really hated him to begin with, as loony as he is, but man. And I think you made a good point about how killing someone with the Death Note is so different from doing it with your bare hands. You don't have to see anything or think about what you're doing when you're just writing down a name, but to slit a man's throat up front? That's all kinds of intimate, in all kinds of horrible.
Magus1108 chapter 17 . 2/25/2014
Oh my! Quite the shocking twist Light used Mikami to kill Roger, and then disposed of him once the deed was done. Fascinating. Well, that kills two birds with one stone, to say the least.

But it isn't over yet! Linda has Mikami's notebook (assuming it's real and not a planted fake), and with that, she could easily end Light's dark reign. But would she dare use the Death Note to end him once and for all? Questions upon questions here...

Great job, as always! Keep up the wonderful work!
DragonSong17 chapter 16 . 2/16/2014
Wow. Poor Linda's life is a nightmare. And I wonder if Mikami realized that he was being manipulated by the Death Note. He may be insane, but he's not an idiot. He knows how the Death Note works. Unless he wholeheartedly believed that his god, Light, would never kill his faithful servant, or made up some reason for wanting to kill Roger, I feel like he'd be able to pick up on the fact that Light had written his fate. That would be awful.
I'm looking forward to the next chapter!