Reviews for To everything a season
Edwina B. Karch chapter 2 . 3/3/2012
WOW, what a beginning, I can't wait to see where you will take this.
Batwings79 chapter 2 . 3/3/2012
I find it interesting that your Severus has lost his voice. I think that many of us automatically associate the sexy, silky voice of Alan Rickman with the character that he played in the movies and so we also automatically assume that Severus will continue to speak and be heard with that voice. It only makes sense though that if he were to actually survive Nagini's bite, he would likely have permanent damage, if not complete loss, to his voice. I believe it was Kelly Chambliss who gave us one of the first stories of a silent Severus and the development of a very different way of communicating with Minerva. I look forward to how you develop communication strategies for these two characters in your story.

I am also now curious as to the reason that Minerva has stayed away for two years, especially in light of the fact that she and Severus were lovers and that she is aware of the trust and faith that he had in her during that last year before the war.

I also love this line from the poem that you used here - 'I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul - I'm curious as to whether Severus was imagining this as the way that Minerva loved him?...as a 'dark thing'? Or is this how HE loves Minerva? Just curious...

I am enjoying this story a great deal and look forward to your next update...more, PLEASE!
Squibstress chapter 2 . 3/3/2012
Your description of how Severus slowly came back to himself-emOther aspects came back to him more slowly, piece by piece, out of sequence, as he worked to perfect the Fumographia charm. Potions, teaching, the Dark Lord, a boy with his mother's eyes. Curses, reparations, Quidditch matches. A war. He wondered why he had not died/em-is just lovely.

emHe did not think of Lily, save occasionally to realise that he did not, in fact, think of her./em Isn't that just how it happens?

I loved the way you used the Neruda poem-you're so right; it's perfectly evocative for the way I imagine a Severus/Minerva romance to be.

I do love these "late point of attack" stories. The anticipation of all the blanks to be filled in is so delicious. Looking forward to more!
Squibstress chapter 1 . 3/3/2012
Well, what an intriguing beginning!

ove the first line! And the way you describe passing the wards.

And the chilling first conversation you give us between Minerva and Severus.

emThus even on the nights when she went to bed weeping – another thing she would confess to no one – each morning she was able to rise again dry-eyed./em Wonderful image.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 2 . 3/3/2012
Very atmospheric and effective, and Severus is perfectly IC - of course he would not, as he sees it, "beg for attention." And I can see him finding a sort of peace with spiritual ritual, no matter how much of a skeptic he is (and I think he is). As a potions master, he clearly finds something, whether contentment or solace or something else, in ordered activity, in following steps and stages.

And speaking of perfection: the poem does, indeed, fit the Minerva/Severus relationship as I see it, too: dark and complicated and mingled pleasure/pain.

There are many great lines, but I think these are my favorites, particularly the drought/rain simile.

"At first it could not; it rebounded from his soul like rain off the drought-hardened earth. Yet still it fell around him, and he softened, slowly, and let it in, and it soaked into him, so that as one year passed, and then two, Severus came to feel… cleansed. Not of darkness and pain themselves – they would always be with him, or so he imagined – but the darkness that existed in him was no longer like coal but like polished ebony, bright, not dull; and if a light shone on it, it would shine back."
Sam chapter 2 . 3/3/2012
I'm so glad you updated this story. It's beautifully written and I'm really looking forward to reading more.
Yue Sai chapter 1 . 2/19/2012
Lovely start, and I can't wait for the next chapter. Keep going! Take care and good luck with the rest. :)
SweetlyMagnifique chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
love it! can't wait for the next chapter :)
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 2/16/2012
'I understand.' But she did not, completely; not then.

-Of course not. She was far too busy hating him to want to understand.

So now she's off, and given the wards to her fellow would-be murderer.

Say, are there any Slytherins at Hogwarts now? After all, in the book they were thrown out of the castle, and in the movie they were trapped in the dungeons under the rubble (and I bet there was no huge rush to dig them out).

I know this is going to be a nice story about Ninerva regretting what she tried to do to Snape, but I think these questions should be asked.

Good start, hope to see more.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 2/16/2012
Oh, this is excellent so far; a fine set-up.

I love the way you described the wards. This line in particular is one of my favorites: "she saw the little man stagger for a moment as the magics settled into his bones; she knew the feeling, the coiled charms sleeping beneath her skin, the sense of a second awareness, inhuman but somehow living nonetheless, that echoed in her mind and gradually came to rule her pulse and her breath, her waking and her sleeping."

You characterize both Snape and McG so well (and Sprout and Flitwick, too, come to that). Their relationship is always a contest of wills, yet with clear (if unspoken) mutual trust. Their opening salvos are perfect. I like the way you play with that fanon trope of Snape's insisting during DH that people call him "headmaster" (I've used it myself) - you upend it in such IC, satisfying ways.

"But this was not worth a battle; there would be other times and places to stand on principle."

Yes, I can so see her drawing this conclusion. And this line is great: "'And you have never been as skilled at being masterful as you like to think." So Minerva. (And your opening line really captures her character, too.)

The conclusions she draws about Severus's true position are logical; I can see it happening like this.

Well done.
Batwings79 chapter 1 . 2/16/2012
Very nice...and since I see that it is not marked 'complete'...I'm going to jump to the conclusion that you have more of this story to tell. I'm intrigued by Minerva's possible need to do pennance...or is it possible that Severus has someone survived in some way, shape or form and Minerva feels the need to go 'rescue' him as repayment of his trust in her during that awful last year before the battle? Whatever the plot for this story, you definitely have my attention and I'm sure I will enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed your other stories! More, PLEASE! ;-)
26 | « Prev Page 1 2