Reviews for To an Audience Of One
Ballykissangel chapter 1 . 1/14/2014
This was amazingly sad. Brilliant job for a first Sherlock fic. Be proud :)
Liana Legaspi chapter 1 . 8/5/2013
This was sweet and touching. :) Good job.
lemonn chapter 1 . 4/18/2013
Okay oh my god. Wow. Wow. That made me cry. Absolutely beautiful! You write extremely well. I loved the formatting of it. It worked so well. Talking to his cello...what a fresh, wonderful idea.
SpecialAgentZiva chapter 1 . 5/5/2012
First of all, I fell in love with the quote you matched with your fic. I've never heard of it before, but it's incredibly true. :) Anyway...

You picked a good title; not only does it fit, it draws in and intrigues the reader. Your summary is also well chosen, as it does the same thing. Grabbing (and keeping) the reader's interest is one of the most important parts of writing, so it's good that you know what you're doing there. It seems like a lot of writers don't.

Before really beginning to read, the format - centered italics every few lines - rather bugged me. It also gave me the impression that the words italicized and centered were part of a letter, or perhaps a text conversation. Since it seems to be John's thoughts, I would suggest getting rid of the centered effect. It's distracting. You can still place thoughts on separate lines, but try to keep the format the same as the rest of the piece except in certain circumstances, i.e letters, etc.

"Hello, old friend." It's a very simple way to start your story, however, I found it fantastic. I love stories that start with a basic phrase or word and then elaborate from there, and thus this was great. As was reading each line of thought; it was nice to know John's thoughts, rather than just reading about his actions with the suitcase. The latter would have been meaningless.

As you get into describing the 'friend,' you definitely manage to keep me interested in knowing what is within the suitcase. However, you would do better to use synonyms here and there instead of just 'friend' over and over. I think you could've done better with a tiny bit more detail in this area as well, for maximum suspense and intrigue. Not too much detail, though.

I liked the separation of "And you..." and "...You haven't changed a bit, have you?"

A cello. Interesting. The description is good, but perhaps you could have put description first and then "his cello," just to keep us guessing. So you'd say something like, "It was still immaculate, flawless; laid out on black velvet. Beside it, her partner, the bow..." etc. etc. etc. "...leaving his friend here on Earth to be played by some amateur who [would] sooner break her than play a proper note. It was his; his cello - carefully guarded for so many years, the only remnant of a past when he still laughed..." etc. However, that is a writer's choice, and what you have works just as well.

"You see, every instrument has a soul. This soul chooses its partner, not the other way around. Anyone can play an instrument, but few can play with its soul." I like this line. The emphasis on both soul and instrument is a bit too much though. Pick one, find synonyms for the other. Soul seems a better choice to repeat and emphasize.

"that his father―his idol―smiled, and taught him everything he knew. /When his father, a retired army doctor, had his left hand paralyzed due to a stroke, he kept on playing the cello for his father..." - once again, too much repetition (of father, this time). You need to find synonyms instead of repeating, repeating, repeating.

Overall, I did really like this story, and the connection with John and his music. The idea that he talked to his cello - and that she responded - was wonderful, and reading their "dialogue" was great. It was pretty original, which is always good. The main problems you have are just format and repetition. Otherwise, great job! I hope to read more from you like this. :)
Briar Elwood chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
Wow. This was gorgeous. It helps that I think cellos are the most stunning instruments ever created, though... :D But seriously, this was beautiful. Very touching and tender. I had tears in my eyes at the end. Great job. :)

Dinogeek chapter 1 . 2/17/2012
Oooh, very nice... especially as a musician (who has a cello, but doesn't play it as often as she should). It really is kind of supernatural the way a musician plays their instrument, and you captured the attitude nicely. And it wasn't depressing. That's a big plus. -