Reviews for The Autobot Air Commander
Taipan Kiryu chapter 3 . 2/29/2012
There must be very few things as satisfactory for the Aerialbots as their leader behaving as such – and if he does it with an attitude, even better.

Powerglide went too far, and now he has to face the consequences. It was just a matter of time before some kind of confrontation happened; you can’t mess with a team that includes Slingshot, Air Raid and Skydive without expecting some sort of retribution in return. But quarrels are just quarrels; it takes a commanding figure to settle things right, and Silverbolt knows that he has to be that figure. No manuals, no foreign expectations, he has to define by himself what it means to be the Aerialbot commander.

And the popularity contest started. I don’t think any of the Autobots who voted for Powerglide was really thinking about his skills, but about the affinity of the sub-groups –minobots in this case – and things such as the time they have known Powerglide. In the case of Ironhide, well, it’s obvious that his initial interaction with the Aerialbots left them at the top of his list of ‘Bots he doesn’t like.

Aside from the clear advantage that Gestalt comradeship meant for Silverbolt, the votes that followed spoke in the name of reason. It’s not about being the best flier, but the best leader. I just can’t think about Powerglide leading all the flying Autobots in battle.

So victories are not always sweet… But, at the end, who the heck would be able to satisfy four Aerialbots at the same time?

Congratulations for taking another Gestalt team and making it yours. If you enjoyed your adventure outside Stunticon territory, may I tempt you to give it a try to Transformers: Prime? In other words, please, please write Knock Out! You know you want to ;o)
Taipan Kiryu chapter 2 . 2/29/2012
It’s good that Silverbolt is an Autobot, and not a Decepticon Gestalt leader. And even with that, his teammates are not very considerate when exploiting his weaknesses. Under this same situation, he wouldn’t survive in the Nemesis, and even in the Ark the outcome is not being as fair as it should be considering we are talking about the good guys. The Aerialbots were a scheme breaker group since the very beginning, and even though they understood their place in the big picture and decided to remain as Autobots, that doesn’t mean their behavior problems were also solved. Really, the Stunticons couldn’t have better rivals. It takes a hyperactive glitch to fight, and understand, another one.

It didn’t surprise me how perfectly you developed the interaction between the Aerialbots, all those little details that make them unique. It didn’t surprise me, but still I highly enjoyed it.

I think Silverbolt’s problem is that he tries so hard to become what the manual says an Autobot has to be. He can’t be blamed for that; he’s practically new in the war and has tons of things to learn. His big disadvantage is that he lacks of his teammates’ cynicism – or Fireflight’s ingenuity – and that turns him into the perfect target to step on a toe above the line between perfection and failure. His teammates appreciate him and respect him, but their volatile personalities make it easy to take advantage of their leader’s good intentions. Once again, I keep Fireflight out of this equation.

‘Bolt also has a lot to learn about interacting with the guys that have his same insignia, which are not necessarily his comrades, ever less friends. Approaching an aristocrat like Mirage with a can of not-that-expensive polish certainly is not going to impress him. Once again, if Silverbolt had his teammates’ I-don’t-give-a-slag-attitude, he would have understood that jumping Mirage, Cliffjumper style, would have more chances to make a point in ‘Raj. But Silverbolt insists in following his manual, this time the one that focuses in how a Gestalt leader has to behave.

Great White! I loved it! But I bet Silverbolt doesn’t enjoy nicknames that put him in any kind of powerful position. Here’s a guy who doesn’t enjoy attention, which makes it very difficult to acquire balance regarding his position of leadership. Gestalt leaders are usually charismatic, although if Silverbolt wants examples of leaders who keep a low profile and at the same time maintain unquestionable leadership, he should turn his optics to Scrapper. Yes, things can be learned from the Decepticon Gestalts too.

Proceeding to next chapter.
blazer-6 chapter 1 . 2/28/2012
you forgot warpath shame on you. this fic was way to short though.
Kookaburra chapter 3 . 2/27/2012
Oh dear, poor Silverbolt. His team got entirely the wrong lesson, ha ha.
Peacewish chapter 3 . 2/26/2012
Oh, you rotten Aerialbots. You don't deserve your own commander! Silverbolt was brilliant in this chapter, and played PR spin doctor like a pro. Democracy, yes! Winning smile, yes! If it came to a contest of both likability and proven leadership, could there be any doubt? Perceptor's dis on Powerglide was truly the funniest thing ever. Who else is there, indeed? Certainly not that annoying little red wasp that keeps shouting "and awaaay we go!" Definitely not Air Commander material.

But I simply couldn't believe the Aerialbots' reaction. Well yeah, you won, but c'mon, it wasn't even in a badass way! You won too nicely, Silverbolt. And apparently doing it too nicely doesn't count.

I think the Aerialbots need to learn how good they've got it. We're in need of a 'Wife Swap' version for gestalts, something like a 'Leader Swap'. Let the Aerialbots spend a week with Motormaster, who would have torn everyone's wings for insubordination a long time ago, and then they'll understand what Silverbolt's really worth. Let's also have the Stunticons live under Silverbolt's leadership for a while, just because that would be hysterical. Every time Silverbolt says "Thank you, mechs, you did an excellent job with that mission and you were helpful to the cause," they'll duck out of reflex.
wildphoenix6 chapter 3 . 2/26/2012
I loved this chapter but poor Silverbolt. He works hard and in the end, his own team doesn't appreciate him.
Taipan Kiryu chapter 1 . 2/26/2012
You know… I fell in love with your stories ever since Drag Strip challenged Wildrider to a certain, epic race. I marked that day as the one in which I started to visit this site with that joyous feeling you have when you know you’re reading something wonderful.

Your stories are fascinating, your writing excellent, your insight one that makes the trip into the metal alloy of the characters an unforgivable journey… It’s needless to say that I’d read anything coming from your pen. Write a story about Teletubbies in drugs and I’ll be there.

Oh, you’re THE Stunticon specialist in this site, that’s for sure… And I don’t find it rare at all that you’re currently writing the Aerialbots. In order to know the Stunticons, you have to know the Aerialbots too, that’s something I began to understand when I started to write them both – and that was thanks to your inspiration, milady.

This story is another example of how good your storytelling is. Getting inside the characters and their interaction is something you have dominated like an art. ‘Gestalt interaction’, written by QoS, soon to be sold in your local Cybertronian book store :o)

And I’m so glad that you chose Silverbolt. He’s a complex fella, isn’t he? Afraid of heights, chosen to be leader of a really-hard-to-lead them, afraid of failure, overprotective, permanently struggling with his low-esteem, eager to keep a low profile… Yeah, this kind of tridimensional characters made G1 what it was. I would have changed thirty episodes of Autobots-roll-out nonsense for one good episode focused on Silverbolt and the universe within him.

I really loved the loyalty all the Gestalt teams had to their teammates – even Swindle, when he sold his Combaticon buddies as spare parts, did it for the greed in his personality component rather than betrayal. But back to the story, the Aerialbots’ honest indignation regarding Powerglide’s stunt was very touching. Maybe they can question their leader – in private, as you wisely pointed out – and confront him every once in a while, but nobody outside the team has the right to talk slag about him.

Of course, we also have to consider that the Aerialbots themselves started what threatens to turn into a conflict of Universal proportions amongst the Autobots, but that doesn’t matter, right? :oP Heh, Silverbolt is REALLY patient with his teammates. I don’t want to think what would happen if the Stunticons would put Motormaster in an uncomfortable position with the other Decepticons. To simply put it, there would be lots of pain, yeah.

Silverbolt, you should stop giving ideas to Air Raid. He started with Air Commander and now he’s thinking about Second in Command… next time he’s going to aim for the Prime position. “Why don’t you aim for Supreme Ruler of the Universe, Silverbolt? You could have your own planets!”

Wonderful, wonderful start. I feel so sorry that I have to go out now, but I have a date with the second and third chapters tonight. Review you then :o)

And P.S., thanks for posting a new story! Double thanks for the fast updates.
Krazed Jetformer chapter 3 . 2/26/2012
I'm sad to see this end so soon but I really liked it! Good job!
Starfire201 chapter 3 . 2/26/2012
Enjoyed very much even if I do kind of agree with Demon Surfer's sentiments. He goes up to bat for them, and that's all the thanks he gets. But that was very definitely smart, what he did.
DemonSurfer chapter 3 . 2/26/2012
Aww... that ended sort of sadly. Poor 'Bolt just can't get any respect from his team, even if he goes out of his way to do something he really does not care about or want to do just for them.
Pacerpaw chapter 1 . 2/25/2012
I like the Aerialbot team a great deal, especially Silverbolt and it's LWAYS great to read good story involving them. I could envision every scene and it was very in character for the Aerialbots. Powerglide you silly git, you're a good flier but that doesn't make you commander!
Kookaburra chapter 2 . 2/24/2012
Oooh, what does Silverbolt have up his sleeve? I'm really enjoying this, the humor is spot on!
anondecepticon chapter 2 . 2/24/2012
Sounds like Silverbolt's got a plan! Although honestly, I think he could easily win the title just by Not Being Powerglide. (Let's face it, the guy's a dick.) Silverbolt is clearly much better at kissing butt; *coughRedAlertcough* that'll definitely work in his favor. ;)

The scene with Mirage turned out really well! And LOL at Hound's suggestion. Not everyone likes fish as much as you do, Hound! Good thing TB was there to save the day. Looking forward to the next chapter!
blazer-6 chapter 2 . 2/23/2012
im a big fan of transformers and all your stories keep up the good work.
Peacewish chapter 2 . 2/22/2012
Here I am, as promised, and I'm happy to find its worth it. The Aerialbots are all so delightfully in character. Obnoxious, stubborn, annoying, and unavoidably lovable (at least to their leader). Oh, Fireflight. Drawing four little sad faces, really? Why don't you just walk around with a kitten on your shoulder, it might cause the rest of the Ark to collapse from the cuteness much faster.

Am really enjoying your exploration of Silverbolt's quiet, anxious personality. He tries so hard, to do well and to do the right thing. He needed a bit of cheerleading to remind him that he can be alpha. (and am so quietly relieved that you're willing to write Jazz)

Optimus: I've heard a lot of rumors flying around that we need to have an Aerial Commander in our forces now...

Powerglide: Ahem.

Optimus: And I think it's important to be both fair yet critically honest if I'm going to select an Autobot for the position.

Silverbolt: Er.

Optimus: So I want you all to know that I've chosen our oldest, most experienced flyer, whose calm under battle conditions and maturity speak for themselves.

Powerglide: Why, Prime, I hardly deser-

Optimus: Everyone say hello to our new Aerial Commander, Skyfire!

Powerglide: What?

Silverbolt: I can live with that.

Skyfire: Huh?