Reviews for Shades of Gray
Valairy Scot chapter 2 . 1/24/2013
He had sat in the circle of the Council and lied. Because of trust. Because of his lack of trust. He knew of Anakin's too-intimate friendship with the Chancellor, of the misplaced paternal feelings his former Padawan harbored for the man. He knew it better than anyone else, and he feared it. He also knew, because Dooku had told him, because the Force told him, that somehow, somewhere, the hidden Lord of the Sith had access to the Chancellor's office, to at least some of what passed therein. By what dark art that might have been affected or sustained, he knew not. But the fact of it was something he could not deny.

If he told Anakin, then Anakin might tell the Chancellor. And that inexplicable leak might pass it on to Dooku's ears. And that would have been an instant and incontrovertible death sentence, an end to the mission and a far worse tragedy for Anakin than the planned farce and mock-funeral had been. He knew this; he saw it with cold certainty. And yet he could not openly express the damning fact to the Council, for to do so would be to condemn Anakin. And that he would not do. Because Anakin trusted Palpatine too well, Obi Wan could not trust Anakin. He had chosen to let his friend suffer for a short time than risk making him the unwitting tool of a disastrous betrayal.

The Council had not made him do it. He had done it himself. And it had cost him a decade of hard-earned trust. That was the severe consequence, the retribution visited upon him, for lying. Lying out of dreadful fear for another. Out of attachment.

- Therein lies the tragedy, the consequences of trying to do "the right thing" when the alternative is to the "wrong thing."

Palpatine is an unmitigated snake. And Anakin is a gullible fool.
Valairy Scot chapter 1 . 1/24/2013
As he rose and made a formal bow, striding toward the door with the dignity of a …well, of a Jedi, Obi Wan suddenly looked a lot like his much younger self again. Anakin hadn't seen that expression on his face since the night the Council had told Qui Gon Jinn that the boy he had discovered on Tatooine would not be trained; the night when Qui Gon had been his champion and father figure, declaring that he would train Anakin although he already had a Padawan learner; the night Qui Gon had effectively dismissed his current apprentice with a few brief words of lukewarm praise.

It felt good to see Obi Wan stunned and betrayed. Go cry on Mace's shoulder, Anakin thought at his mentor's retreating back.

- Wow - Anakin is so disillusioned. Not without reason, but still - he seems to want to harbor these feelings, almost that he feels empowered and superior because negative or not, he has feelings.

_

The sun was setting.

And he welcomed the growing darkness.

- YIKES! The beginning of the end: you scare me with the inevitableness of what is coming.
jc anon chapter 1 . 1/22/2013
Another great story. I don't buy Anakin beating Obi-Wan because...I don't think the so-called Chosen One is all that. He's not much of anything as far as I'm concerned other than a character whose abilities were overstated to get viewers to like him in AOTC and ROTS. And the Clone Wars continues with that line of nonsense by diminishing Obi-Wan and other Jedi.

You write wonderfully, however:)
LavenderStorm chapter 10 . 10/9/2012
Ah, poor Anakin. Always so idealistic. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, and that's all Anakin ever did. I don't believe he did anything to deserve his fate, but then, I'm biased.

It's all too easy to see things from Anakin's point of view. The struggle against an established, stick-in-the mud authority (Jedi Council), the strong will to act and speak up for his own beliefs, etc...All qualities that should be praised and admired, yet how did it lead him to the Dark side? Your stories show that; they fill in the blanks in the Clone War series and between Episode II and III. I really enjoyed the way you write Anakin, especially Anakin-Obi-Wan interactions. All in character, and perfectly so. Thank you for sharing, I'm off to read your other Anakin stories now!
Tricksterkat209 chapter 1 . 4/12/2012
Oh,ouch! The second half of the chapter make my stomach muscles tighten in dread and the first half made me applaud. I mean,to write such things it means that you probably have a great sense of humor,too. (Im assuming,of course but if youd not have a sense of humor itd probalby impossible to write something like that.)
Snips95 chapter 10 . 3/17/2012
Wow. That was intense. I loved everything about this story. :) very well done.
Viviane Renard chapter 10 . 3/6/2012
I really like what this chapter did for you story. It's a great turning point, and shows a radical shift in the dynamics between Anakin and Obi-Wan (for the better), and Anakin's deepening resentment of the Jedi Council. You do a great job of expressing Anakin's hate towards the Council, and how the other Jedi can sense it (which only serves to further alienate Anakin as the other Jedi react negatively to him):

"Heat roiled off his skin, set the shadows on the mosaic floor into flickering unrest, seared through the Force like a hot rain. The Councilors stirred, frowned at him."

I'm curious to see how the rest of this story plays out, now that Obi-Wan realizes Anakin's delicate balance between the Light and Dark Side, and how easily he could tip either way. In some way, Obi-Wan's run in with spice was a boon, as it opened his eyes to the reality of Anakin's anger and gave him a second chance of friendship with Anakin. Before, he could deny the dark side growing in Anakin, but the spice delivered a demon-filled vision he couldn't ignore. I hope he can use that insight and change Anakin's future for the better!
pronker chapter 10 . 3/5/2012
"Cold fire swept through his veins. "No," he spat out. No... he didn't accuse the Council of anything. He knew it. He lived it."

Lots of hate conjured up here; he does that so easily. Loved the ending with the tentative steps towards reconciliation. How would it be, I wonder, if the friendship foundered, as I believe it would in real life? They'd not return phone calls, distance themselves, wonder where it all went wrong ... urk. The GFFA in your stories is better than RL.

Laptop has returned to my lap!
kalimecat chapter 10 . 3/5/2012
There were so many little things I liked a. 1 just the fact that obi wan tried to resign from the council it shows how much of a toll this mission must have taken on him also it was just a really different twist. I also really liked the dialogue between anakin n obi wan at the end. I could sense anakin's initial angst,(with good reason) but def a good reconciliation
LadySaxophone chapter 10 . 3/4/2012
You've left me in awe yet again, my friend.

This chapter was simply amazing. Obi Wan pleading for Anakin to stay, and Anakin thinking he could do that, for now. Pure genius. Is there to be an epilogue, or are you all done?
angelmine-29 chapter 10 . 3/3/2012
I really enjoy your work! I look forward to getting notices in my inboxes for your work. You do a wonderful job of capturing Anakin & Obi-Wan.
Kenji Hyuga White tiger chapter 10 . 3/3/2012
AH, a great story, have you ever thought of becoming a novelist? You could make some serious dough my friend. Keep it up, and I still haven't forgotten about that story you promised me. And by that I mean the story I harshly demanded of you!
charie01 chapter 10 . 3/3/2012
That was perfect! Just the perfect amount of hurt/comfort. 'stay' ... I just loved that:)

My next question is ... What's next? More adventures with Obi-wan and Anakin? Love your stories and really loved this one. Thank you for doing my request and so brilliantly.:)))

Char
FyreFlyte chapter 10 . 3/3/2012
Oh...that was fantastic! Your ability to create emotion gets better and better with every story/chapter you post. I'm currently in full-blown "reject the canon" mode after reading this:

""Stay," Obi Wan repeated. Stay here, by my side, in the Temple, in the Order, in the Light. Don't ever leave. Just stay. You must. You don't understand."

Poor, poor Obi-Wan! He can be so young at times. Anakin, just...how could you turn to the Dark Side? I don't understand. :( (Curse you, Palpy! If Obi-Wan and Anakin fans were Sith, you'd have no hope of taking over the Republic. Dun dun dun.)

I loved the discussion between Ji Sho and Obi-Wan. Humorous and heartbreaking at the same time. :) This part in particular was beautifully done:

"Eventually the obstinate Padawan got the message and trudged off to report his failure to Vokara Che. Hopefully he would not be chastised too severely. He was a good boy. And he was a healer…unlikely to be sent undercover on mission after harrowing mission, forced to choke down murder and filth and spice and moral compromise in the name of peace. Unlikely to be a General charged with sending thousands to their death in the name of justice. Unlikely to sit on the Council, struggling to navigate a labyrinth of dilemmas in which every turning was a dead end leading to utter ruin. No, Ji Sho was good, and did not deserve such a fate.

Such shadow realms were reserved for others. For those who volunteered. For those who lied, even to themselves."

Oh...Obi-Wan. :(

The impact of the war on the Jedi and the characters was very well shown in this chapter. I'm still struggling to find the words to express my awe at your story-telling and writing abilities. Just...every time I read some of your work, I smile all day long, even if it is heartbreaking and agonizing like this chapter was. There's nothing like an amazing piece of writing to make your day! :)

I loved the read and can't wait to see what your imagination comes up with next!

Keep Writing!

FyreFlyte :)
Irene Djo chapter 10 . 3/3/2012
. .

I love it.

I love it.

This opening scene of drug withdrawal. Incredible. I loved the imagery. It's heartbreaking, but I LOVE it.

Also, you KNOW it's a rough day if the situation makes Mace Windu use profanity.

To be awake was to be torn asunder, stretched on a rack between the Force and the irrepressible longing for spice.

This line and your reference to the rack-fantastic.

"What?" That was the stupidest thing obi Wan had ever said or done. He must really, really be tired. Not himself. Anakin gaped and studied his friend closely, feeling the stress points threading through his Firce signature, the thousandfold faultlines in the mask of calm. He waited.

GAH. Obi-Wan. I can barely find the words, so i'll word-vomit impressions.

Hurt. Sad. Fail? POOR OBI-WAN. KRIFFIN DRUGS. BLURGH.

Obi Wan had told him to stay. He could do that.

For now.

What an exquisitely damning closing. Bravo.
84 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »