Reviews for Attachment's Forfeit & Soldier's Sacrifice
ShangellicArchangel chapter 2 . 10/18
Great! Loved it and the the story structure!
Snif* Why was Rex treated differently though? Ahsoka mourned for him.
TheDoctorCT-21-0408 chapter 2 . 9/8/2013
This was cool, to see it from both points of view!
Guest chapter 2 . 3/18/2013
Oooohhhhhhh, suddenly the follow up to this story makes a hack of a lot more sense! Absolutely love it!
Bwup chapter 2 . 6/21/2012

What kinda ending was tht!
laloga chapter 2 . 2/28/2012
If you had a harder time writing Rex, I sure as kriff didn't notice.

It's challenging to write the same scene (or series of scenes) from the perspective of two characters, mostly because you don't want anything to seem repetitive or stale, and I thought you did a wonderful job keeping this interesting. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was on the edge of my seat during the battle; I still winced when I “watched” poor Rex get shot by the droidekas.

The hardest part to read was the end, where he wakes up and realizes that everything is different, but he doesn't know why. I think this aspect of Rex caught me the most; yes, he's a man of vast experience, but it's mainly relegated to one specific thing: battle. Shooting tinnies, coordinating attacks, leading men...he's a pro at all of those, but when it comes to “matters of the heart...” Sigh.

“Just thinking about her, about the kiss she'd allowed, and later professed wanting to explore further, was enough to get him hot under the collar.” Love this! Maybe it's because I love the expression “hot under the collar.” It feels very “proper,” but naughty as well. Does that make sense?

He has no idea – neither does she – what he's getting in to. Even his denial, his reluctance to take any romantic sort of action because of the distraction it would cause both of them speaks to his innocence, because the very act of postponing something like that to “withhold the memory” means that he's already in over his head. If he has to think about it that much...

Okay, totally, totally LOVED this line: “Giving it to the clankers wasn't just a job, it was also a passion.” That's like the most perfect “clone slogan” ever. :P

Fantastic job delving into his clone psyche; loved the way that he sort of turned his attraction and affection for Ahsoka into a fierce overprotectiveness, even while he admired her prowess and abilities. It becomes his drive and his focus, so that it's almost frighteningly natural of a concept for him to take the proverbial bullet for her.

The problem with this outlook is that, while it's admirable to desire to protect the ones you care about, the nature of their lives in a warzone makes this situation a likelihood, one that neither of them can prevent. I'm not saying that he should have let her get shot, but I do think that had he been a little more experienced in the ways of love, had they really acknowledged what was between them, his final thought might not have been one of regret.

Of course, I've never been in this kind of scenario, so I can't say for sure. I guess regrets will be there, regardless, but I think that maybe there would be less of them had Rex not pushed so much denial upon himself when it came to her.

But that's part of the fumbling beauty of their relationship, isn't it? The attraction between them is undeniable, but the lack of experience – ironic, eh Rexter? :P – is the thing keeping them apart, thereby preventing them from getting more of it...gotta love those Catch 22s. ;)

Anyway, brilliant, brilliant job conveying all of the above, and in the heat of battle, too. It's so, so difficult to balance character exposition, development and action but my goodness, you make it look effortless. Honestly, it took me so long to read this because I had to find *time* to sit down and give it my full attention, but when I did...the words flew by, and at the end I was kind of blinking, like... “that's it? It's over already?” :P

Hey, I learned a new word, too! “Yawed.” :D It's a two-way street...

I could yammer on and on about how much I loved this entire piece, but I don't have the time, unfortunately. I will say that I *loved* the moment where Rex caressed one of her a way, it was better than a kiss, because it was worlds and worlds more intimate. Since the lekku are erogenous zones to Togruta, Rex likely knows that, and knows the effect s gentle touch will have on her; she accepts it, relishes it, even, and that moment was sexier than any kiss could have been, so bravo to you. :D

Okay, so I really loved this piece. Hopefully that's obvious. :P “Great job” sounds silly at this point, but what the heck: great job! :D
InkStarsAndSteelSkies chapter 2 . 2/23/2012
You know, normally I have reservations about reading fics that have the same story but switch the POV-because it's pretty much the same, and it's sort of annoying to have to read the same thing twice, and have little variation on the characters reactions.

This however, is not a normal story. I really liked Rex's POV this time around-it gives a nice insight to their relationship from his side, as well as a side of the clones that normally isn't seen around Ashoka.

This was, again, wonderful.
LongLiveTheClones chapter 2 . 2/22/2012
Such an amazingly powerful story. Wow. Just love it. Poor Rex. He made the ultimate sacrifice. Totally prepared to die. Wakes up and everything has changed. Now, the woman he loves is giving him the cold shoulder. Why? So sad. The angst in this is amazing. Very well written. You have a gift.
laloga chapter 1 . 2/19/2012

That's all I could really say for a minute after I finished this. Even now, I'm not really sure how to even go about reviewing this amazing story, because everything I could say would sound dull and hollow next to the vibrancy of your words. Because it's you, I knew going into it that I would be blown away,

Okay, trying to form coherent thoughts, now...

First of all, I have read “Mutual Misery,” though I did go back and scan it again to refresh my memory. That was a powerful piece in of itself, and I think you more than did it justice with this one. :) (And holy crap! Writing all this *and* working on an original novel? When do you sleep? :P)

Secondly, I'd like to give you a big round of virtual applause for capturing the complicated relationship that Rex and Ahsoka share. As the text states, he is a source of strength for her, of reassurance. “Rex was her solace; her anchor in the maelstrom of war that surrounded her and she could tell him anything. Say anything, and he accepted her. He let her be who she was and didn't expect anything more.” I feel like this sums it up perfectly, that sense of acceptance.

Since this is told through Ahsoka's POV, we don't get to see if Rex feels the same way, but I think it's a safe bet to assume that he does. I definitely got the sense that her humor, her kindness and compassion, her ferocity and prowess are all so inspiring to him, such that he really would follow her anywhere. I loved the “rituals” that they had before each mission, and though I *desperately* wanted to see a kiss, I forgive you for not including one because the writing was just so perfect. :P

However, the sweetness of their mutual attraction is tempered by mutual inexperience. “Unable to see beyond the situation and what she viewed it as, she was unaware of a deeper thread underneath.” With affection, comes attachment, and attachment – as we've seen in canon – can bring about the most horrible kind of pain, the pain of losing one that you love. It's something that neither one of them has really had to face before, and it's what makes these little “stolen moments” between them all the more compelling. Inchoate attraction is lovely to read, but there is a definite undercurrent of “darkness” to it, as Ahsoka learns later.

For all of their battle prowess, neither one could, I think, handle a broken heart.

Again, since we don't see Rex's POV in this, I can't say how he'd react if faced with the same dilemma that she was, but I do think it would be similar to her outright denial, her refusal to let him die.

That was certainly the pivotal moment for this story. Rex is slipping through her fingers, the words “nothing we can do” are echoing in her mind, and she just loses control. The Dark Side beckons, and she answers the call, if only to save the man she loves. Your descriptions of her “cleaving through” the lines of enemy droids and pirates were breathtaking; there was the absolute perfect balance of action and emotion. While I read it, I felt like I'd been plucked from my couch and tossed right inside Ahsoka's head. Absolutely stunning writing and storytelling!

Loved how the end came up so quickly, how we know that Rex is going to live, but it all feels like it's happening so fast: getting out of the battlefield, onto the transport, onto the Resolute, into the medbay...

And then, “Mutual Misery.” Well, my only hope is that they'll wind up together, later on, but you captured the “background” to that story with perfection.

But there was so much more to this fic than the Rex/Ahsoka stuff, and I should touch on that as well. :) One of the constants with her character is how much she cares for the clones, how much she respects and loves them all, and how well they respond to her. “It was a point of pride with her that she never mixed up her troopers.” I imagine that all of them notice such a thing, and – like their captain – would do anything for her because of it. The OC clones...sigh. Kind of like the infamous “red-shirts” in Star's likely that they're not going to survive. :( Loved Kix and Jesse, though! :D

I was blown away by your descriptions of the battle itself; this is an area that I struggle with, so I was particularly impressed that everything flowed so well, and was so clear in my head. Honestly, this is better than 95% of the episodes from the show based on the descriptions of the battle alone. Add the Rexsoka angst, and you've got yourself gold... “Umbara” level gold.

In case you can't tell, I truly adored this piece. [insert more virtual applause] :D Wonderful, wonderful work! :D :D :D
InkStarsAndSteelSkies chapter 1 . 2/19/2012

And you were nervous I wouldn't like this? How could I NOT?

This is wonderful. Really, and truely. I adored how innocently you painted their relationship, how the feeling between the pair was was mutual, but not really named. The entire battle scene was wonderful-there was the general chaos, and Ashoka's desperation was...just wow.

"It blasted outwards from her, slamming into the ranks that cut them off from the evacuation zone, and slammed every obstacle between them and the gunship that was angling in to pick them up, to the ground. Red smears where living being had once been and sparking parts were all that were left of the opposition."

-that line was wonderful. It gave me shivers.

This was excellent. No other way to say it.

Jedi Ani Unduli chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
Amazing. It's war, both feel what the other feels and shove it to the back of their minds. If you're going to follow this up, please.

littlestarsaligned chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
Oh my Force! This is so good i cried. Literally. And i don't usually cry.
emjalen chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
Oh, wow. Talk about intense. Big exhale of breath. He lives though. We know he lives. Just wow- the depth and description of Ahsoka's emotions was incredible. You can really emphasize with her here, her panic and desperation and fear. Her confidence, affirmed by him, only to be destroyed when she sees him get shot, and the just the sudden turn the story takes just dropped the ground out from under me.