Reviews for When Thorin met Tauriel
Saraleee chapter 1 . 1/8
I knew that Evangeline Lilly was cast as Tauriel because I saw a couple of news stories online in January 2012 before I started writing.

I wanted to write a romantic story involving Thorin, to prove that you could make a romantic and heroic character out of a 200-year-old dwarf. But obviously Thorin is completely heroic and romantic anyway and doesn't need my help.
rohanyoshi chapter 1 . 1/7
I have a question- how did you know that Tauriel was in the movie when you wrote this?
morellaraven chapter 8 . 8/15/2014
Wow... awesome!
Megknsis chapter 8 . 7/1/2014
WHYYYY? Why must you be so amazing! OH, THE HUMANITY!
Whew. Okay. Anyway. I'm calm now. Totally calm. Really.
...first of all, this was wonderfully well-written. Your vocabulary, pacing, and characterization-brilliant. Even the dialogue was wonderfully believable, hitting just the right balance between the talk of real people and the slightly formal things these characters also say. I could actually hear them talking.
And above all, this makes me wonder...WHY WERE YOU NOT ONE OF THE WRITERS FOR DESOLATION AND THERE AND BACK AGAIN? Now I cannot see Desolation anymore without imagining all this going on in my head! It's a real sign of a masterfully done story and a real quality writer when they can actually make me prefer their story over a (well-done and believable) canon romance! Poor Thorin, Richard didn't get a chance...
This was perfectly paced, and the tone and plot were amazing. Romance and friendship against the backdrop of a good serious story (that followed canon!-well mostly) and tiny little sprinkles of humor. Just like a good cupcake, and just as much of a treat. I am definitely going to check out your other work and put this story as one of my all-time favorites.
Megknsis chapter 7 . 7/1/2014
Why must you break my heart by giving me that wonderfully sad previous few chapters, and now this one...knowing what's going to happen...well, if you follow the story...omg this is just too. Perfect. The beginning with Thorin brooding exactly like he WOULD do, and then Tauriel being angry at him and going into the mountain...YES. I adored their conversation, how they began by arguing but then reconciled and that wonderful (if just a tad bit on the sappy side, but hey, there's a place for that) declaration of what we ALL KNEW they meant to each other. And Fili and Kili's and Bombur's reactions were just priceless. Wonderful.
Megknsis chapter 3 . 7/1/2014
Wow. O...kay. I was going to read the entire story before reviewing...but I HAVE to say how much I adored these first three chapters...especially this third one. I love their relationship...and especially how they didn't fall in love at first sight or anything like that...clearly they don't trust each other but they start to lose their prejudices and begin to learn about each other before they even realize it. On the surface, the intimate moment wouldn't seem like that...but it actually almost made me cry. So unexpected, and so well-described, and beautiful, and utterly believable all at the same time. This right here, proves you don't have to get down and dirty to write a truly intimate and romantic scene. CAN I BAKE YOU COOKIES AND GIVE YOU HUGS? YOU ARE MY FAVORITE PERSON EVER!
Anyway, awesome! Can't wait to finish this!
Hannah Rose chapter 8 . 1/5/2014
Wonderful. I loved this, even though it was rather chessy at the romantic parts. I like the way you combined the book and the movie, even though Thorin/Tauriel never happened and probably never would considering how much Thorin hates Elves. Change Thorin to Kili and it would be perfect.
Sheherazade's Fable chapter 8 . 10/13/2013
This was really well written. Tauriel was a great character.
crystal chapter 8 . 8/1/2013
Just beautiful. This fanfiction is very well written, I enjoyed every second of it! So is Thoriel a thing? Or is the ship called Taurin? Whatever, idk because I totally ship them now 3
MessengerOfDreams chapter 8 . 7/14/2013
How about we redo this, okay, and this chapter never exists. Like, gone yesterday, and we stay with the ambiguous ending. Yes, that sounds perfect. Like this never even happened.

Och, I'll come off it. Lord knows I've written enough death and tragedy to be blindsided by this. Call it karma, if you will. That seems about as appropriate of a retribution as I deserve, as this was a very tragic ending, yet in a way is very fitting. I admit that I had dreaded this chapter being one where the two lovers would be living in some nice place with little elf/dwarf children, so from a writing standpoint I applaud you for once again avoiding cliché. I also admire how you don't overwhelm us with the tragedy. It just happens, as often it does in battle. Their final scene was touching, while again avoiding the saccharine as I expected it would. I also find it rather lovely how Thorin focused his last energy on uplifting Bilbo instead of wallowing in suffering. He looked to the future he had made for his people and how he was able to inspire it, how Tauriel inspired it, and that's about as good an ending as any.

And of course, they fought together until the end of their days. I like poetic irony.

Again, what a wonderful story. You wrote with so much detail, such thought put into the writing, with a plot that went places I didn't expect but didn't regret. You wrote a masterful story and I'm proud to graduate it from the RLt and to be its hundredth favorite. Keep writing amazingly!
MessengerOfDreams chapter 7 . 7/14/2013
("Can they do that?" Kili asked his brother.

Fili shrugged. "He's the King under the Mountain.")

And, scene.

I love it, I love it, I love it.

I love how natural the scene was. They used anger as a shield before they finally yielded, still too stubborn and guarded to fully recognize how they felt. It wasn't cheesy, and it didn't get saccharine. I love how it wasn't a full poetic I-love-you scene, and I just soared at him asking to fight and stand with her. Perfect lead in to the battle, but it was made perfect by the reactions, especially Kili and Fili.

Now to the last chapter!
MessengerOfDreams chapter 6 . 7/14/2013
So what can be said that hasn't? I feel like my reviews are gratuitous because they are the same rambles of reverence I'm sure you've heard before, especially from me. So I'll say this much; I enjoy the supportive role you've put Galien (sic) into for Tauriel, and the little conversation before they tasted the wine. The descriptions of her keeping busy to avoid feeling lonely and down sounds like her, which is fantastic. I'm also glad that you've taken the initiative to turn the plot in a different direction with Thorin and the dwarves escaping with Bilbo. Even if the story might eventually end in a way we expect, it will be done through a different method. You are left with a double cliffhanger; will they escape, and if they do, what does that mean for Tauriel, who was passed out drunk while it happened? I, for one, ain't sticking around reviewing, I'm gonna find out. See ya next chapter!
MessengerOfDreams chapter 5 . 7/13/2013
Wow. See, again, copy and paste all the compliments I've bestowed upon you fifty times over. You display that they've grown feelings for each other impossibly, lampshaded how impossibly unusual it is, how crazy it is, yet it works. I'm not drowning in a sea of angst or suffocating on cliché. I can believe it. Isn't that crazy? I can believe these two lost souls connected with each other in isolation. I can relate to it. Gorgeously done.

I also loved Tauriel taking down Commander Dickfear a few notches. Just thought I'd break the mood into smithereens.
MessengerOfDreams chapter 4 . 7/13/2013
And here you expose the flaws of each of their kind. The dwarves are stubborn and irreverent, and the elves are pretentious and cutting. Thorin has sworn loyalty to his kind, while Tauriel is just about sick of her own. Excellent juxtaposition.

This whole scene was well done. She feels badly for betraying Thorin, realizing that he had been as good a friend as any out there, but on the other hand, what else was she to do? These elves are real bastards, my god.

Also, your description is awesome as hell, just thought I should mention.

Dang, this is a really great piece. You've broken the rapport established, and I wonder where we go from here.
MessengerOfDreams chapter 3 . 7/13/2013
And again, you up the stakes, playing so much on the subtleties. I am not one for subtlety, which makes me admire it so much more when others are. I love these characters. I imagine her as an elf, prim and proper but with so much contained curiosity and spirit often sheathed by her calculated, elfish countenance. And you have him, a strong and sturdy dwarf whose brash and bold nature obscures a dignity and maturity that you might not expect from him. I love your culture clash moment with the beards, with as much shock and disdain from him as you'd expect if I asked you questions about your boobs. I like that. It's clever. And then it turns around and becomes touching when they meet up at the cell. And again, I must emphasize how much I love this: you show us that things are shifting between them, you hint at romance, but you don't let either character outright think "hmm, I might have the hots for this person". There are whole libraries within your subtext. Your subtleties have subtleties. I'm very impressed.