Reviews for Golden
Twiggalina chapter 1 . 5/2/2013
What a sad tale:(
Great oneshot!
Speechless Girl chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
Wow!I cried a lot. This was so sad, but I like that there was hope at the end. I think it's Edward at the door ;)
BeautifulMessenger chapter 1 . 3/31/2012
Such a tear-jerker all the way through! I'm so glad there was a glimmer of hope at the end.

I'm not sure if the worldviews of 1967 were quite so strict as you are portraying them here. My father in law was born before then, and his parents' wedding picture includes him as a well-formed roundness in his mother's belly. ;) She's even holding her hand lovingly over the bulge in her white dress, as if showing it off.

Maybe in the 30s or 40s, though.
badjujube chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
I love this. This such a sadness and a tender mystery to this story. I simultaneously really want to know what happens and respect that you left it ambiguous. Thanks for sharing! JuJu
Where. . Who. . Me chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
Wow. I'm wondering why I didn't read this a little earlier. At first, I was a little confused with what was happening, and started to catch on by the time jump to September.

Reading about Bella and Renee, their relationship after her father died was really interesting. I felt that the formality between the two helped me see how or why Renee pushed Bella to marry.

While I can see why Edward was only mentioned and not really focused on, I'm curious about why he married Bella. Looking at how his parents reacted, I'm getting the vibe that it is something he wanted to do.

I'm hoping it is Edward at the door (since you asked). I know you said that there is little chance that you will continue this, and even though there are still things I'm wondering about, I can kind of see why you decided to stop here.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story that got me wanting to read more again. :)
Dandelion Mind chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
Dude, how freaking ninja are you? And a drive-by ninja at that!

So, since this was a surprise, I had no idea what to expect, but I knew we were in good hands :) In the spirit of the non-linear style, I'm gonna start with the end. I have a love/hate relationship with ambiguous endings, but this one is definitely of the former. It fit so well, and gave that lovely heart-clench moment (complete with mouth agape and non-breathing). I want more, but I don't at the same time! I think if it were different it would lose some of the magic, (how's that statement looking for cheese?) and I wouldn't have gone back to the top to read it again. Yeah, I did that.

Bella is a very sympathetic character, especially at the beginning, and I adored the line: "She wonders what went right, what went wrong. So few of the former, too much of the latter". I also liked how you wrote Bella's conflicted emotions about the pregnancy when she first found out, and then how you didn't shy away from her selfish motive for keeping it. Whiles it's clear she will/does love her baby, the fact that it's fuelled by her loneliness felt very real, and appropriate for her maturity level.

In the same way, I found Renee's character really interesting too. How she's seemingly so distant and uncaring, and yet cries for her daughter- or for herself. It's a sad fact that parent's like her do exist, and put appearances before their child's welfare. The absence of Charlie really helped with getting across Bella's feeling of helplessness- and dug the knife in a little deeper, lol.

I don't really know what to think about Edward. Thoroughly ingrained bias tells me he has to be good, and just misunderstood. But then I know you like to mix it up, so I really wouldn't be surprised if he truly was in it for the money.

Okay, I'm gonna stop word vomin' all over your review page now, but great job, bb. I really enjoyed it X X

P.S. ngl, the song resulted in me picturing Bella with a significantly darker complexion and an afro, js.
Missy B Girl chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
Wow. Really enjoyed this. I wish there was more, but that's life. Thanks
afonz chapter 1 . 2/20/2012
Wow...Manda. Why has it taken me this long to find your ffn profile? You are an amazing writer and I honestly cannot wait to read everything you've written.

Golden was just heartbreaking in the best ways possible. Bella's life really spun out of control when Charlie died. It's so sad that Renee couldn't shape up and be the mother she needed especially during a time like this.

I can understand her longing to be comforted by someone, which is why she sought the comfort of a nameless man on her birthday. I don't know if she realized that there was the possibility she could get pregnant from that, or if maybe that was her intention all along. With a baby, she would never be lonely.

While it's very sweet of Edward to marry Bella, I'm incredibly curious as to why he did it. Was it really for the money? He doesn't seem like the type of man who would do that. If it wasn't for the money, then why did he leave her? That doesn't seem like him either. Maybe the whole situation was too overwhelming for him. By marrying Bella, his life will change drastically. He'll go from a single, college student to a married father basically over night. That thought alone must have been terrifying.

I'm hoping it's Edward who's knocking on Bella's door, but I have no clue. I'd really love to see where you would take this if you decide to continue.

Fantastic job!