Reviews for Helcaraxë
Klose chapter 1 . 2/1/2003
Ah, after seeing you on the Silmfics list, I finally get around to reviewing your awesome fics, Le Chat Noir.

I'm really very jealous of you guys... the way you use imagery to tell your story is breath-taking.

"The silence filled with the moan and cry of the wind, and yet more silent and hollow than any night of void I had crossed. None had been able to hold it. The stare of one who had lost much and by that gained a power, the terrible power of those who knew something more, those whose wrath is to be feared and run from."

Pure poetry, that's all I can say.

And of course, the end was the best. From the cold, to the relationships, to the bitter regret, you've got it all aptly portrayed in this fic. :)
Cirdan chapter 1 . 7/17/2002
Finrod trying to encourage himself to go on is only the natural result of such tormenting ice. Of course he would be keen to Turgon's change. They're close friends. And Finrod's nameless burden is a nice touch. The child could be lost or orphaned by now. Whoever the child is, Finrod still helps him. That's a true Noldorin prince for you.

Amarie as a goal and a method of encouragement worked much better for me than Amarie as Finrod's lover. This helped bring that to light and made me realize that Finrod came to objectify her as an image of the Blessed Realms that they'd left behind. Very good writing here!
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 5/27/2002
You get the emotions here very well. The writing style has a relentless power to it that captures the desperation and determination the characters must have felt. After a certain point all desire to live is gone, and it's only the determination not to give up that kept them alive. Excellent writing.
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 5/22/2002
Thank you for re-posting this. It's a terrible, beautiful piece. What a horrible price the Noldor paid for their pride; they should have turned back. IMHO, Fingolfin, by leading his people into this, is in some ways just as much a Kinslayer as those who actually spilled the blood at Alqualonde.
Oboe-Wan chapter 1 . 5/20/2002
I'm so glad you re-posted this!

It's just incredible... so powerful, so vivid. Your imagery is painfully striking. It all just tears at my heart - Turgon and Idril and Aredhel, or Finrod with the nameless boy in his arms...

A truly excellent piece of writing.
Soledad chapter 1 . 5/20/2002
Very suggestive. I always admire people who can say so much with so few words.
naltariel chapter 1 . 5/19/2002
wow, so intense! I am glad you wrote by Finrod's POV. Of course he was relieved that his lover stayed behind, and the frozen child.. and Turgon.. Hell of Ice, how true. I am glad you r reposting. :-).

Dont worry about reviewing me. right now, I will be more grateful if Feanor come right in front of me to help me writing him...
Debby chapter 1 . 5/19/2002
very profound! I could feel the death grip of the ice! very original idea! As Sam would say..."Feanor is going to cath it HOT if ever we reach the other side!" Well done!
Furius chapter 1 . 5/19/2002
Helcaraxë bring tears to my eyes, as does your fic. The description of Turgon's family, and Finrod's thoughts, Fingolfin's cry. O my goodness
Finch chapter 1 . 5/19/2002
New Helcaraxe, new review! This story gives me the shivers in more than one sense. And while it's seemingly about Finrod, it also tells us a lot about Turgon, leading to a better insight in this particular character. Compliments.
Aerlinnel chapter 1 . 5/19/2002
Very, very good! You stayed true to canon and at the same time managed to bring the story to life. I need a sweater :-)