Reviews for The Tide
excessivelyperky chapter 1 . 5/14/2014
Wow. This is truly well done, and wouldn't it be nice if you could write a way to fix it?
cheese123m chapter 1 . 9/20/2012
GOSH you almost made me cry!
nicely done.
saudade do coracao chapter 1 . 4/23/2012
Your writing is so very good. I like the word pictures you draw. I never really thought about Petunia as a character before, and now I'm running into all these amazing fanfics (yours among them) that are making me feel sympathy for her.

I've looked at the other reviews and they seem divided on the third person/second person set-up, which surprises me. I feel that you chose to write this fic that way on purpose, and I think it works brilliantly. I think it's part of what makes this fic so good.

Here are my favorite lines:

"She saw him, and for a moment every night from June to August, she knew someone. She knew him."

"You sob as the best part of you lives, and you sob as it dies."

These really stuck out to me as pivotal and memorable, especially since I'm writing this review a few hours after I read your story.

My only complaint about this story is that the ending feels a bit too explanatory. The paragraphs there feel like you spend too long telling us what you are trying to communicate instead of showing it in the character's actions. You did such a good job of understatedly communicating meaning up to this point, but the understatedness kind of falls apart there. I hope you don't mind my mentioning that. Otherwise, this was lovely.

Thank you! Keep writing!
JamesyBunny chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
It's really weird in a really good way. Like the 2nd person narrative parts. I'm not sure how to explain. And all the grief and sorrow, it felt tangible. My eyes stung and my heart clenched along with her. You sure know how to write!
Queen of Tortall chapter 1 . 3/12/2012
I've never read this particular pairing before, or even thought of it, but you wrote this so beautifully and realistically.

It was sad and full of lovely imagery. I loved...well, basically everything, haha.

As another reviewer pointed out, Lily's maiden name was Evans; you did say that in one part, but in another part you used "Potter"?

You do also switch between 3rd & 2nd person, which I'm not sure if you intended to do or not. Normally I'd say it's a no-no, but you do it so flawlessly and seamlessly that it works quite well.

Good job! I loved reading this, and it brought tears to my eyes.
Eliane chapter 1 . 2/28/2012
WoW! Very poignant. What an interesting story. It was very creative of you to imagine this palpable attraction between Petunia and Snape. We can feel the desolation of them both realizing too late the happiness they might have if the communication had been realized. This is the reality for some people. Sad as that is.
duj chapter 1 . 2/25/2012
Beautifully written. (I can't believe in a Lily who is loving and generous. She seems quite otherwise to me in canon. Or one who cried even one tear about the end of a friendship that, to my eyes, she'd already rejected even while she was protesting that "We *are* (best friends), Sev..." But that doesn't matter, does it? Some stories transcend canon.)
ListerineSkulls chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
Beautiful, as always.

The only thing that stood out to me as off was the switching between 3rd person and 2nd. I'm not sure if that was intentional.

"She can smell him on her skin, and for some reason she can't fathom, it makes her want to laugh and then jump out the window."

is my favorite. There's nothing quite like that feeling. And I think you phrased it nicely and effectively.

"She doesn't believe she'll ever really stop, because if there's one thing she knows for certain, it is that true love does not fly back on steel wings once you shoot it down. Delicate and fierce, she broke the only thing that should have ever really mattered to her."

I also adore that. It's sad, but the truth in it makes it beautiful.

You really have a way with words. :]
arioso dolente chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
This. This is my new personal headcanon. It's perfect.

Thank you for writing it.
erm31323 chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
I really loved this and while I've never thought of this pairing, the way you've written them, they completely fit. I love the descriptive style of your writing, the story is beautiful and sad all at the same time.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
That was the most amazing fanfiction i have ever read in my entire life.I'm off to read your other stories.
LittleCatZ chapter 1 . 2/24/2012
I've always thought Petunia and Snape would go well together...for some reason, other people don't seem to agree as much :) I really enjoyed this story, it was really well-written. And then you called her Lily Potter and I cried. Sniff. Actually, jk,I didn't cry. But dear Lily Flower's maiden name was Evans. Just FYI. You may have already known this. In that case, I'm sorry. But otherwise, this story was incredible. I love the way you describe Lily- I've always felt witches and wizards and other magical folk would have some sort of something...extra to them. Anyways, awesome. I commend you.