Reviews for Alternatively
Addicted1 chapter 14 . 3/1
"It was an unwritten part of her job description that she was the one to break bad news to their staff. Or clients. Or pretty much anybody that Cal didn't want specifically to offend with such news."
Lines like these are why I love your work!

I loved the brief moment between Emily and Gillian. Wish Zoe hadn't shown up quite yet!

Thank you for making Season 1 so much better! I love your version!

Any chance you would do something similar for S3?

I'm going to save your S2 chapters for another day (that I'm already looking forward to). Thank you for this!
Addicted1 chapter 13 . 3/1
I thought you handled the necessary recap well.

I really do love how you write these two, as individuals, and as a pair. I like how you never had Gillian doubting Cal's abilities and how Cal believes her when she tells him that.

And the Sound of Music shout-out had me grinning from ear to ear. Gillian would totally watch that movie on loop, and Cal would hate it while loving her for it.

I feel like this chapter deserves a longer and more eloquent review, but my verbal ability has dropped off a cliff.
Still love every word.
Addicted1 chapter 12 . 3/1
Love the backstory leading up to the Torres experiment. And Cal's observation that Loker is a narcissist. So true. Oh, and I LOVE that you had Gillian protest on grounds of sexual dimorphism. That was a perfect rejoinder from her. Played on their respective doctorates, which was good fun.

I am going to be so sad when I'm done reading this story! I really am loving every word.
Addicted1 chapter 11 . 3/1
"But I'm emotionally involved, so I get to be angry and illogical."-Love this line! Such a logical way to defend a supposed lack of logic!

Again, I really enjoyed your reinterpretation of this episode and your treatment of Zoe. I also loved that you had Gillian get jealous and be a bit snide; she didn't just take it on the chin. It made her feel more like a real character, and, again, more like Cal than what gets acknowledged on the show.

And thank you for having him resist Zoe! I was pretty sure you wouldn't have them sleep together since Cal and Gillian are together, but I was still a bit anxious until I got to the end (which was lovely without being overly saccharine).
Addicted1 chapter 10 . 3/1
"It was amazing what being away from Alec did for her. It made her remember how it felt to be free. To be calm. It was only now that she could see how unhappy she had been over the past few years. After living that way for long enough, you forget that that isn't normal. You forget that you can be happy.

This was like that proverbial breath of fresh air, and it was wonderful."
I really liked that section. I love that Gillian's life didn't just get better because she and Cal got together; it got better because she got herself out of a bad relationship/situation. Amen to all of that!

Thank you for this flashback chapter! I still like the way you handle Zoe. You keep the sharp edges we see from her on the show, but you still make her sympathetic. And I liked how you used Emily as the one that accidentally made Cal understand just how much Trouble he'd gotten himself into. And just when I was wondering how, in your universe, Cal and Gillian would find their way to each other through all of Cal's guilt, you use Angry Zoe as that plot device-awesome! That completely worked. Zoe would not be one to go without that confrontation.

Sigh. Why didn't you write the show? It would still be on!
Addicted1 chapter 9 . 3/1
I love your use of details, like "After some inappropriate flirting when they donned their hard hats."

And I loved this line: "That was it. No questions, no clarification needed." That was my favorite moment of that episode, because that is what I love about them. Very Mulder and Scully in that way.

I enjoy your use of humor. The banter about Helen Hunt, for example. And I'm always smiling at the end of each of your chapters.

I hope you're still writing; you're excellent at it!
Addicted1 chapter 8 . 3/1
Microwaved Chinese is better anyway.

"Knew that he had only lashed out at her because she was the one he trusted to take it." Yes to this.

I enjoyed the Emily/Gillian interaction-so sweet that Emily wanted Gillian's company. And I LOVE how you had Cal go off the rails about Loker. Not only was that in character, but it was really gratifying to me. I always want to punch Loker in the throat during that plotline. I also love that you had Gillian know Loker was lying. We never get canon confirmation of that, but there is just no way she wouldn't know. Especially since Loker wanted her to know; he just didn't want to get caught. (I promise that makes sense.)

Thank you for another great chapter!
Addicted1 chapter 7 . 3/1
More great banter! I like the judicious way you incorporate Torres and Loker.

I really liked how Cal assuaged Gillian's unspoken fears and then demanded a beer, steak, and sex. Felt true to his character and made my shipper heart happy!
Addicted1 chapter 6 . 3/1
Great work with this chapter. Alternating the current case with the flashbacks (and moving the balcony scene back in time) was really effective. I liked that you showed how strong their foundation was for the relationship we see in current time, and I love that you acknowledged how private Gillian is as a person. This seems to get overlooked a lot, probably because, as you observed, she appears so open and emotive (which is not at all the same thing, really). Arguably, she's more private than Cal is.

I also loved your characterization of Zoe and how she rose to the occasion. I really like the way you write all the complexities and shades of grey with adult relationships; it makes your writing really rich, and I disappear into it.

This line really got me:
"Nobody should lose their whole family in one fell swoop. It was a sad fact of life that more often than not, that was the way it worked."
Addicted1 chapter 5 . 3/1
Cute firefighter banter.
And I really like that you still have Cal and Gillian disagree and fight-they wouldn't be them if they didn't.
And the blonde man's bitterness really amused me!
Addicted1 chapter 4 . 3/1
This was lovely. I love the way you handled Alec. Torres's nosiness was entertaining, and Cal's loyalty toward Gillian was heart-warming. I love the way you handled Alec's addiction and how understanding Cal was about Gillian caring about that. And the couple light-hearted lines at the end of the chapter further illustrate why these two are so great together-they can still make each other smile when things are sad.

I love this chapter.
Addicted1 chapter 3 . 3/1
"He remembered what a relief it was that she didn't mind him always knowing the truth. And that he didn't mind her knowing what was going on in his head either. In fact, it was something they liked about each other." YES. This is the crux of Gillian and Cal, and the way you use this as the foundation for the way you write them is my favorite thing about your work.

And I love this. This is Cal to a T.
"He hated that he almost associated truth with loyalty, because loyalty was what he associated with love. And he knew truth and love did not necessarily go hand in hand.

Except with Gillian." And that line makes my shipper heart so happy!

And thank you for expanding the Gillian and Emily interaction! This episode always leaves me wanting that scene to be longer, and your extra scene felt so natural-those are all questions Emily would want the answer to, and Gillian's responses felt perfectly in character.

And I love this: "Gillian bit her lip, trying to find the right words. How could she explain how the invasiveness of that had turned into intimacy? How it was fine because he let her understand him too, because it was mutual? How she loved that they had that something special between them that nobody could take from them? That it created their own little world that, despite the occasional frustration at having no privacy, was theirs and nobody else's? That it was, in fact, the reason she knew they would last? She suddenly realized that he probably knew all of that already anyway, and she shouldn't have to find the words at all."

And Cal endorsing Gillian talking to Emily about Zoe was just lovely.
Addicted1 chapter 2 . 3/1
I love the way you elaborate on their banter. And show that they have a positive effect on each other without changing each other. (I love that you had Gillian eat her Chinese food anyway-it always bothers me when she doesn't eat it on the show-as you pointed out, that lecture from Cal couldn't have been new to her!) And I really like what you did with the introduction of Torres-making Cal's reluctance due to him wanting to work with Gillian. And Gillian also preferring to work with him to Loker was a nice balance. I like the equality/symmetry you bring to this relationship.
Addicted1 chapter 1 . 3/1
Oh my gosh, I love your Established Callian! You are an excellent writer. I love how you show us how they are with each other and in front of other people rather than just describing their relationship. And you captured Loker's voice perfectly too! His radical honesty in response to Cal's comment about fantasizing about Gillian was just spot-on.

Thank you for this! I love it!
Future Starkid Member chapter 18 . 2/21/2014
I know it's been a long while since you updated, but this is so adorable and good! Please update soon!