Reviews for Awkwardness
I did not see the update - its been a few months. My son had the same habit and I remember thinking he will be like that till college! I had done some travel with him and I found the break in schedule helped break the habit. I could not make him cry either. Good luck!

Lovely lovely story - you are an amazing writer. I am sure with your sensitivity, you will be a great mom!
Thank you for your wonderful story! I think it is amazing that you finished it despite having a small child. As to nursing: my kids always fell asleep that way (or while in the carrier or pram) and they both stopped nursing when it felt right for them (at 20 and 22 months). At that age they only needed me when going to bed or when seriously hurting. Of course they get used to it and then want to have it but I found that they went to sleep just as well without nursing if I was not around. Both went from breast directly to drinking from a cup, I think that was a good thing.
Just imagine getting up a few times every night, warming up the bottle etc as people who do not nurse have to do, that sounds pretty stressful to me.
Just noticed you posted this in July. I hope your son is sleeping through already. If not - do not let other people bother you, just go along with what feels right for both of you (or the three of you). And don't hesitate to ask people for help - most people are truly happy to spend some time with a little one, I always cherish these hours with neighbours kids, doing again things my own are way too cool for like making chestnut horses or paperstars or just pushing a pram along, admiring every leave on the way. Best wishes!
Lily chapter 10 . 8/14
This was a gem to read; I love your style of writing :)
Lily chapter 5 . 8/14
This is so adorable bless your soul
newmommyak chapter 10 . 8/11
The book "Healthy Sleep, Happy Baby" helped me immeasurably.
For the latching thing - I would nurse a last time, brush his little 3 teeth, then rock for a bit and put him down sleepy. There is a little crying (mostly half-hearted pouting) involved some nights, but after 4 months old they can self-soothe and just need the chance to learn it. Routine helps.
oregonbird chapter 1 . 7/25
I love this story - this is my third time reading through - and I want to pick out and lightly squish every 'only', 'just' and 'of course'. The story is delicate and tentative all on its own, quite naturally; it doesn't need such base qualifiers!
halbarath chapter 10 . 7/21
Hello there !

Thank you for the reading. I've stayed til the end, I don't regret it. It was a lovely ending, exactly the closure your story needed. Thank you very much for not abandoning it.

For your kid, I suppose you've tried the pacifier ? The feeding bottle ? Did you try getting him almost asleep in your arms in his room and then putting him to bed and staying until he's really asleep ? I read "the no-cry sleep solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. Didn't help me much but maybe the book can help you ? I empathize...
h2Og1rl chapter 10 . 7/21
Thank you for this story, I love your writing!
I think you live in England. I'm in the USA.
My only boy is 23yrs now, but he nursed for2 1/2 yrs. nothing serious after abot 12 months... Just to go to sleep or if he was sick (since it was the only thing he could keep down.)
La Leche League was so helpful regarding breastfeeding questions. Is there a chapter near you?
Some of the woman are more radical than I am, and that was a little off-putting (to see a 4 yr old boy run up to his mom, lift her shirt, and help himself... Wow) but overall, very helpful. Good luck and have fun...the years will fly by! And congratulations one your beautiful little boy! Meg
H2Og1rl chapter 6 . 7/21
I'm very, very happy that you are writing again!
H2Og1rl chapter 1 . 7/21
Gr8! Wow! Plz more!
dk2022 chapter 10 . 7/15
Loved the story. :) Loved how they got together in the end, and it didn't feel rushed. It felt right.

If you don't wanna let Leo cry it out, that is your choice. I know I didn't with my little one, I let her fall asleep in my arms until about a fortnight ago. She's 21 months and I've always gone the route of keeping her relaxed and knowing I (and her dad) was there. Now she's falls asleep when I read to her. :) If you're on Facebook, there's a lady called Jennie Harrison who has tips on how to get little ones to sleep. :) Whatever you do, be comfortable in your own parenting style and do what's right for you and your family.

Seriously though, loved the fic. Love that they finally kissed. XD
Lisianpeia chapter 10 . 7/14
This was a very lovely story! thank you for writing it and sharing it with us )
I wish all the luck to you and your baby, even though I can really give any sound advice on hadling infants.
jensteed chapter 10 . 7/12
I think it was a sweet ending, full of possibilities and hope for the future :)
Banglabou chapter 10 . 7/11
Excellent chapter! Thank you for the Happily Ever After. :) When my babies were little, we relied heavily on the book The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. While I was breastfeeding, my husband would be the one to put the babies to bed (I have twin sons and a singleton daughter). So after I topped them off with a late night feed, he would take over rocking and patting and soothe them with calming music in the background. Eventually we reached the point where he would rock them briefly, then put them in their cribs and pat them for a few minutes with the music going and he was able to leave the room. They would fall asleep on their own without fussing or crying (hallelujah!). Getting me out of the room first was critical because if they could smell Mama and the milk supply they would take longer to calm down. I guess they figured out early that I was a softie. Good luck finding your solution! IMO letting a baby cry it out is heartless.
JM2010 chapter 10 . 7/11
The best tip I received was to give yourself a time limit for how long to let the kiddo cry (15 min for me) before taking him out of the crib again...

We never co-slept so he was used to being in his crib at nighttime, but my son was used to napping while nursing during the day. It wasn't til he was about a year old that we got him to sleep in his crib during naps. It took about a month from start to finish. I started by trying to play the music he sleeps to at night, and nursing him in his room. I would wait til he was asleep or almost asleep and then put him in his crib. In the beginning, he would start crying immediately, but I would shut the door and leave him for 15 min. Then I would bring him back out and nurse him so he napped. After about 2 weeks, he would nap for 30 min in the crib. After about a month, he was napping for a full hour. I figured out that for my kiddo, no music during naptime was best. Once he started waking up, I would let him stay in there for 10-15 min and gradually worked up to an hour.

Occasionally he still only wants to nap for 45 min at a time, so I put him down again in the evening. He's usually a 1 nap per day kid though, and the sweet spot for nap time is 1.5-2 hours per day.

Don't be discouraged if there are some ups and downs in there. There were several days where he REFUSED to nap, so the next day we were back on the couch again. I also noticed that if I let him get too frustrated too many days in a row, he would not want the crib at night either. So, it's going to be up and down until he's comfortable.

My son is now 14 mo old, usually takes one nap each day, and I make sure he's nursed already. Then I sway him in front of the crib to make sure he's calm for a few min. Once I lay him down, I walk right to the door and shut it behind me. He may fuss for a small amt of time but is usually out within 10 min.

Good luck!