Reviews for Reaver: There Is Always A Price
Guest chapter 1 . 7/16/2014
It makes my brain quirk, milady :)
-guestiful.
Guest chapter 1 . 1/10/2014
I really loved this. I see Reaver as the same way, a tragic hero. I wish the Fable series would touch on more with past. To me, he doesn't seem evil. It is mentioned in the Fable wiki page, about him, that he did not know that when he made the deal with the Shadow Court, that he didn't know they would kill the citizens of Oakvale, and her. He was a different man in the past then from you see in Fable 2 & 3. It is very obvious in his diary that he deals with a lot of pain. To me, the way he is in the Fable games, I see him like hiding behind a mask, I feel that he's hiding all his pain behind his coldness, cruelty, etc. I also see him as someone who uses it, so that no one gets close to him, or doesn't want to care about anyone ever again, and maybe that would because he's afraid that if he did, he would end up losing them, just like her? His unnamed wife? I don't know, I could be wrong though. But yeah, just can't bring myself to hate the guy, and personally, I would like to see the creators of Fable touch on this. Would be interesting.

Anyways, this was good :)
NixxH chapter 1 . 10/29/2013
This... This was brilliant in every aspect of the word. You rendered me speechless more than once, honestly. I've put Reaver into perspective on multiple occasions, trying to twist his character further into a lonely 'anti-Hero/tragic hero'- as you've so eloquently put it. There's been obvious pieces along the way, though the subtleties were much more profound once looked into.
I'm rambling; let me get to the point. You've brought up some points I have never noticed about Reaver. For instance, the theme music and how you've furthered Lucien's death at his hands. You've made it identifiable with Reaver's whole story. I reiterate- subtleties speak volumes about the man. Well, as subtle as Reaver can get.
Thank you for this. I hope with all my heart that other Fable-addicts- especially those that have always found Reaver to be the antagonist- stumble across this.

Sincerely,
NixxH
Joseph Taylor chapter 1 . 10/29/2013
Thank you for writing this Im writing a fable fanfiction with reaver as one of the characters so this really helped me get some inspiration thank you again for the essay its probably added a another layer to reaver that i didnt see before although i love the character so well done you have inspired me bysie
Bishou no Marina chapter 1 . 5/26/2013
Absolutely fantastic. I agree with you completely and have been writing a story which explores his origins, centered around his role as a tragic hero. Your essay is a concise, easily digestible exploration into the psyche of Reaver, a man who has proven to be quite probably the most compelling Fable character in the series, despite appearing in only two of the three games. I greatly appreciate having had the opportunity to read this; among all of the Reaver-centric works on this website, entertaining as they are, I have never seen a better display of comprehension and insight than what you have done here. This is a true gem.
hahagirl727 chapter 1 . 4/21/2013
Oh my god this is awesome I wish my teachers would let me write essays about video game characters (especially Reaver ;D, it would be much better and much longer than my usual essays)
ShadowForceSilver chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
Wow... spectacular is all I can say after writing this. A job well doen my friend. Long live Reaver!
ImPeRfEcT101 chapter 1 . 6/17/2012
This is how I have viewed the Pirate King/Hero of Skill since the second time I played the game. He fell to temptation just like anyone one would. With every action there is a reaction and sadly Oakvale burned because of is actions. People hate him because of him first impression, but I think I would act just like him to if it was my fault that a whole village burned along with good people in it. How is it fair to judge some one by their first impression? When first played Fable II, I didn't like Reaver, but when I read his diary/journal my heart broke. Here was a man who lost everything and has no one to understand him. I would kill people and whore around as well. Reaver is one character that will forever stick in my heart.
HurricaneGinger chapter 1 . 6/11/2012
This is perfect and I agree 100%. I never thought of Lucien's speech either, so that's genius and well pointed out.

Reaver DID seem to have fun with Sparrow, listening to his commentary while they were fleeing through the rear passage. I wouldn't be surprised if they became "friends" at some point. Why else would Reaver specifically tell Sparrow:

"Goodbye, Hero. I simply can't thank you enough for dragging me into this mess."

Sarcasm, but his next statement makes me question how genuine the sarcasm is.

"Oh, I should tell you. I do have to make the occasional sojourn back to Albion. I have an obligation to some friends in Wraithmarsh."

To me, translated: "I'll be around if you want to shoot more people with me." or "No way in hell I'm going back there by myself. Hint hint nudge nudge wink wink."

Reaver most definitely is a lonely man - I think he appreciated the challenge someone nearly equal to him gave.

I also found it so curious as to why he lived on Hero Hill. Very curious indeed. Did he want to erase all trace of the Hero? Someone he may have cared for more than he wanted and their death is just another reminder of how frail life is? Does he just miss them THAT much? It's fun to speculate.

Anyway. I'll stop hoarding the review box now. XD Thanks again for writing this!
Guest chapter 1 . 3/17/2012
Thanks for sharing. I mostly agree with all sentiments in your essay and these other readers' posts. However, Reaver and I have an awkward past. Here's a new one for you all...I played Fable 3 before Fable 2 (a friend loaned it to us and I had hardly started Fable 2 at the time). Bad form, right?

At the close of the 3rd game I wanted his blood, yet he still seemed an interesting fellow. After playing Fable 2, I was furious that I had played them out of order. Reaver is a wonderfully complex character. He is evil, yet he is a wounded tortured soul...like Wuthering Height's Heathcliff. I love Heathcliff. I'd say he is almost written as if he has multiple personality disorder. His Reaver identity came into being for the same reasons folks go on disassociative fueges. Trauma. Reaver did not destroy Oakvale. Reaver did not lose Her. Reaver cares not who is hurt for his immortality. That other man, who knew true youth all those centuries ago carries those burdens, not Reaver (or at least he likes to think this is so). However, unlike most folks with disassociative personality disorders, his true self and old memories return to him from time to time. I suspect during those moments He longs for death and to join those souls He sent to early graves. As an aside...I wonder what would happen if Reaver presented himself to the court as a sacrifice. Would they kill him? Would it break the “spell”? I also wonder if the whole Shadow Court bargain was manipulated by our “friend” Theresa. She needed Reaver to be alive to help her take the Spire...that manipulative bitch! If I ever write a Reaver story you now know where it will go.(Sorry if there are spelling boo boos. I'm on my DS)
kitty-nami chapter 1 . 3/14/2012
Your charicter essay is very acurate to Reaver in my opinion, I love the way you wrote it. And I love how Lionhead left us clues about Reavers charicter past is the games. I really hope Lionhead brings him back in the next game.
Nate-Mihael chapter 1 . 3/6/2012
Intresting take you have on Reaver.

I greatly enjoyed it, though I think it is incomplete. I say that because, in my opinion, Reaver's most profound an tragic characteristic is not discussed: his denial of himself.

Reaver sees no connection between the deeds he did in Oakvale and himself. When pressed, he would most likely reply that "Oakvale was destroyed be a cowardly fool of a man" and then proceed to shoot something.

"those dreams belong to another time, to another man"

He lives his life refusing to be who he is. He could not live with the guilt and the pain, so in order to keep going (perhaps to ensure that his sacrifice was not in vain, that the lives of his home and of HER were not taken for naught) he lives life to the fullest. But still he can not reconcile with himself, so he puts on a mask. 'I am not he. I am Reaver.'

As for his disregard for life: as the man that Reaver was fears death in all its forms, and Reaver would do ANYTHING to not be that man, he now completely disregards life. The complete opposite.

And mayhaps, he hopes to one day piss of the wrong man with his attitude and be killed. I think that somewhere down there Reaver, or rather what is left of the man Reaver was, wants to die. But he cant, for that would make his sacrifice in vain. 'The thief is the most mysterious and controversial of figures'.

I just thought this was missing. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this though. :)
LunaMarr chapter 1 . 3/3/2012
I agree with you. This was very well written and it was obvious you spent time contemplating Reaver and his actions. Thank you for uploading this, have a nice day!
Lecter R. Purgatory chapter 1 . 3/1/2012
I always liked Reaver, especially when he betrays you at EVERY turn in the game. He is a slightly more awesome version of Dorian Gray. XD You can guess that I am mostly 'evil allignment' whenever I play either game.

I agree with your anaysis on Reaver, he regrets his actions leading to the destruction of Oakvale and all the people he ever cared about (his whole world, essentially) and resorted to creating a whole new persona in order to deal with the greif until the persona of "Reaver" was all that was left of him.

Yet, despite all the shit he had to endure, I can't help but feel rather envious of him and his perpectual life and demenour. He's also voiced by Stephen Fry, so that just makes him even more awesome...
Sin of the Fallen chapter 1 . 2/28/2012
I agree with your analysis of Reaver completely. Even my first go round in Fable II (where I am always the stereotypical Paragon and try not to inference anything till second go) I didn't see Reaver as evil. He seems to be a haunted man trying to fill that void by any means possible, even if it leads down a road he wouldn't have followed normally. The entire time he spends with Sparrow he seemed delighted to me. He wasn't alone for awhile, he had someone in the same boat as him for once.

I think Reaver always has just a tiny bit of a soft spot for the Hero(ine). After all, Reaver is a Hero too.