Reviews for Suspicions of a Good Heart
Very Small Prophet chapter 4 . 12/27/2014
Awww, poor Remus was crying! Poor, poor baby! Lily smiles and flirts with the bully when her best friend is attacked and publicly stripped (that's sexual assault), but let someone call Mr Spineless Hypocrite Werewolf bad names and it's unforgivable.

What is it about Gryffs that they think being called bad names is somehow worse that actual attacks? They're supposed to be the House of Bold Warriors, but they can't tolerate anything verbal. What a bunch of saps! As a Ravenclaw I'm highly unimpressed by their helplessness in the face of mere words. Yes, including racial and sexual slurs. Toughen up, people! Words can't injure you unless you let them.
excessivelyperky chapter 16 . 11/10/2014
Aww...poor Pansy! I hope those detentions involve flobberworms and beetles and whatnot, too.

But I agree, making her write those apologies-perfect!
excessivelyperky chapter 15 . 10/23/2014
Well-given how few times that people thank Snape for anything at all in canon, this indeed is a moment to be savored, and kept in memory. And yes, Severus is naïve at comforting, because a person learns that by being comforted (conclusion fairly easy to draw from that, I should think).

I hope everything works out well for Hannah (we know it doesn't for Snape).
excessivelyperky chapter 14 . 10/15/2014
Yes, Snape really does care about those students who don't fit in and who are bullied, because he was one of them himself (though nobody bothered to help *him*, he still wants to help others more helpless than he is now).
excessivelyperky chapter 13 . 9/20/2014
I don't remember Lupin being sought after by anyone but Harry in canon, myself, but I suppose that he might have time for some others.

But I'm glad that Snape is making sure that Hannah is safe going back to Hufflepuff territory, and helping Hannah be honest with her parents.

And Pansy is due for a heap of trouble.
excessivelyperky chapter 12 . 8/14/2014
It's probably asking too much for Hannah to realize that nobody is kind to Professor Snape; but she's fairly close to figuring it out.

But as she said, understanding what Professor Snape is thinking is just one step too far right now.

In canon, it's fairly obvious that it's one too step too far for just about everyone, sigh. But of course he's supposed to be kind and generous without ever knowing what it's like to receive it.

And yet, he manages here. Saying 'thank you' might be appropriate from Hannah, but of course that's not going to happen.
excessivelyperky chapter 11 . 7/31/2014
Excellent chapter. To be fair, Snape had to start teaching when there were still children at the school who had seen him stripped, upside down and choking to death, and he had to establish crowd control *quickly*; and given how many idiots try to kill themselves and others in Potions, he does need to be more firm in his classes than in say, Arithmancy.

But he does have a good heart, and Hannah is someone he can safely show that to.

Other students? That would depend.

Plus, we all know he's not allowed to have feelings; he couldn't be a spy if he had too many.
excessivelyperky chapter 10 . 7/24/2014
Oh, what a lie Snape just told her...but since Hannah wasn't going to tell him about Pansy, it may well be necessary.
excessivelyperky chapter 9 . 7/15/2014
Snape wasn't a bully when he called Lily Mudblood-he was hanging upside down trying to make her go away after James Potter said 'don't make me hex you, Evans'. He also wasn't a bully when he outed Lupin for nearly eating several members of the student body. But we all know that Remus is perfect, because he is Gryffindor, and so was St. Lily half-flirting with James while Severus was being tormented.

The rest of the chapter is excellent. But why doesn't Snape just levitate her? I'm glad he is thinking about how to help her, though.
excessivelyperky chapter 8 . 7/7/2014
I don't think Hannah is going to have a hard time mentioning Pansy's name after that attack; after all, Pansy already thinks that Hannah told.

And she's not very far from Snape's office; Pansy has just landed herself in a lot more trouble than she would have been in before.
excessivelyperky chapter 7 . 6/29/2014
You mean, Remus is still holding a grudge against Snape, even after nearly eating him (twice)?

But of course Remus has been a professional victim all his life. How dare a real one think he deserves any consideration?
excessivelyperky chapter 6 . 6/8/2014
Why does Severus feel guilty about Lupin? But then, Remus is such a professional victim that I expect he can make anyone feel guilty about anything.

Then again, Remus ought to wonder why children, even Harry, don't normally go to him for help unless he holds them back for extra instruction; children, you see, would rather lean on adults.

And he's standing in for Sprout? I thought that other teachers were there to stand in for him.

Once again, he has a Pathetic Tale of Woe for Snape to pity him. Never mind that he nearly ate three students and Snape because he couldn't be bothered to take his potion.

Like I said, children prefer to depend on grownups. You can have crushes on teachers that are cute, but you ask for help from ones you think can actually do something.

But of course Snape is sorry for him. Even if Remus almost ate him, twice, Remus is always the victim.
excessivelyperky chapter 5 . 6/3/2014
Well, it's clear that Lupin does nothing to stop students having their little crushes on him (rather like Lockhart in that respect, though he's not so obvious about it). And using a Boggart so the whole class knows what your deepest fear is? Really? Some students have a more exotic home life than others-a deepest fear might be a relative who likes to play doctor, or some such. Having the whole school know something like that...well. Plus, Lupin only teaches three quarters of the time, while others like Snape have to make up for her absences, so in canon he's a pretty effective teacher for Harry, but not, perhaps, for everyone else.

It is interesting to see the differences between him and Snape, though, as far as Hannah is concerned. It's rotten how House solidarity didn't hold up for her, and I suspect Snape may be reacting to that (since he was the scapegoat for everyone, apparently, when he was a student).
excessivelyperky chapter 4 . 5/27/2014
Of course, Lupin nearly ate him and forgave the guy who set it up. And Lily dumped him for Potter, who said, "don't make me hex you, Evans". But of course it's bad if Snape ever hurts their feelings.

His case and Hannah's are a bit more different than they seem, but of course Snape blames himself for everything bad that ever happened; Dumbledore has conditioned him well.
excessivelyperky chapter 3 . 5/22/2014
Hannah's confusion and worry are very well done here, as is Snape's less-than-normally-sarcastic response. And I expect he's not surprised that some of his Slytherins were teasing her about it.