Reviews for Chiaroscuro: Of Light and Shadows
sharnii chapter 6 . 1/7
Anthy putting words to the elevator song (from the credits!) and explaining how words have power was a powerful touch.

Very Utena to ask Shiori "why" and unfathomable, as Mikage points out. She seems to remain eternally innocent, at least in all the important ways. It's strange to think that she was the only duelist to embrace growing up (in the sense of taking responsibility on the verandah, and breaking the egg's shell in the final duel) but is also the only duelist to retain her childlike innocence.

Perhaps that's what it means to truly grow up? Not to become cynical and hollow, but to take your childlike wonder with you into your adulthood? *ponders*

Nice description of Shiori's manipulative gaze on Utena: "soulful as a spaniel". Can't get much more soulful than that!

I like the mythology about the rose bride's blood draining away thousands of years ago. Poignant.
sharnii chapter 5 . 1/7
My my I'm enjoying re-reading this.

""She is not driving my car," Nemuro said flatly. There was no way he
was going to trust his car and their well-being to a woman whose
driver's license (if she even had one, which he doubted) was for the
'Ohtori' Prefecture and bore the cheerful signature of the Chairman
of the Board himself."

Hilarious! :D So tongue in cheek.

"He coughed and his hand trembled, but he steadied himself and shifted
his weight onto his own feet before facing the rose witch,
resplendent in her persimmon pantsuit."

Also amusing. Love the wording of "resplendent in her persimmon pantsuit". Gosh it sure is fun to view Anthy through Mikage's horrified eyes. ;) I like having him be besotted with Utena too as a truly noble prince. I also like how this fanfic pays tribute to their connection of being similar as explored in the anime. *heart*

"It was as if the building let out a great sigh and as it did the witch
seemed to shrink a few inches and it was only then that he realized
that she had been floating a good three inches above the ground
during her 'dedication.' As she settled back on her feet, she turned
and slowly extended an arm, motioning them into the building. Utena
brushed past him and beelined for the witch, offering more than one
excited compliment concerning the abilities that she'd just
displayed. Then she demanded the honor of carrying the witch into
the building since, after all that "she'd have to be tired.""

Nice touch with Anthy floating (creepy and mysterious to be sure!). I grinned at how Utena was so classically oblivious to any possible creepiness and filled with compliments. Lol to her reason for carrying Anthy over the threshhold as it were. Mikage's POV makes this so enjoyably amusing.

Mikage's inner musing on "why did you come" is so touching. Makes me want to ship him and Utena. Shocking really, considering that I adore shipping Utena/Anthy. And a sign of great writing!

Awesome that their car got towed. Very Ohtori Academy, very Akio.
sharnii chapter 6 . 7/29/2008
Well even though I'm a Utena/Anthy fan I've got to be honest...your portrayal of Anthy here is absolutely friggin' hillarious!

And right on the money! I especially like Anthy's weirdness, passive agressiveness, and craftiness in part 3. Good on Nemuro for seeing her with accurate eyes and calling a spade a spade. ROFL Utena's childish innocence of any undercurrents is the perfect counterpoint of course.

So are you ever going to finish this story? It's well written, and a great concept...would really be worth finishing. XD Drop me a line if you do.
thundersenshi chapter 1 . 3/12/2005
Wow. I was totally blown away by your descriptions. I love your writing style. Even if I didn't like Utena-actually I merely find it interesting, not something to be fanatic about hehe, but I do like reading some fanfics of it-I would read this story just for the sake of your storytelling. _ *adds to favorites* The typical author should learn a thing or two from you. _-
Clarinet chapter 6 . 9/21/2004
Professor Nemuro/Mikage has always been one of my favorite characters in anime, and I always regretted that he vanished so abruptly in the TV series, with only that ominous phone call from Akio to conclude his disappearance. What you've done with him here is wonderful. It's great to read a story that captures so well the characters' personalities. You've really gotten the surreal quality of the television series, too. I hope this is a story you intend to finish; I look forward to seeing how this war against the academy turns out! And of course, the continuing drama of the relationship between Anthy-Utena-Nemuro is fascinating. Thank you for a lovely story.
Aeris chapter 6 . 4/26/2004
Man, I'm glad I happen to stop by this section. Your work is truly a masterpiece.
Reading over this chapter, I very much felt the struggle, hopelessness, and simple tangled ends of despair that drove Utena and Nemuro forward. You also continue to accentuate sorrow and character interaction/development as if it were natural. It doesn't come off as cheap or forced, it comes off as if that's the way it should be.
You are really able to convey the emotions they are feeling, indeed, because you're making me jealous with the amount of skill you have. _
I'm looking forward for the next chapter. I love this story!
Riana chapter 1 . 2/2/2004
I want to tell you how wonderful your work is but words fail me. Like Alan Haruman, your words ring true in the oldest sense of the word. True as bone under weak flesh supporting a pretty tale over darker truths.
Myself The Great chapter 6 . 1/20/2004
The elevator scene- WOW. You have me in a cage...
Excellence, good luck with the next chapter.
Fancy chapter 6 . 1/19/2004
I'm not even sure what to say about this latest chapter... Gah, this just keeps getting better and better. Utena hauling off and slugging Akio is, of course, priceless-and no doubt fulfills many an Akio-hater's dream. And you know, I think it really speaks well of an author when a good 2/3 of a chapter takes place exclusively in an elevator and is STILL captivating. As always, your portrayal of all the characters involved is excellent. I can't wait for chapter 7. _
Celeste Goodchild chapter 6 . 1/17/2004
Wow! I'm so glad to see another chapter to this, and this was definitely worth a wait. Now all I have to do is wait for the next part. I want to see where Utena's declaration of war is going, and what precise effect it's going to have on everyone around her, for sure.
Dani chapter 5 . 7/25/2003
This is a really beautiful Utena fanfic. It's one of the very few that captures the surreal ambiance that made the Utena series special.
Fier chapter 1 . 6/24/2003
very good. I look forward to yer next update.
MearlDox chapter 5 . 6/3/2003
Wow. I had actually stopped checking the Utena section here because I kept finding myself bored and disappointed. This is one of the few after-the-series fics that I've really enjoyed. I look forward to reading more. Thank you!
eien yurai chapter 5 . 6/2/2003
very glad you finally updated. Liked the bit about Ruka, but I always figured Nemuro to be the first casuality (as he graduated first). And C-ko's got a real name! How cool is that? Looking forward to meeting Akio again (or any of the other duelists that perhaps didn't graduate).
Azura Bladewright chapter 5 . 6/2/2003
Oh me. Oh my. Yet another great chapter with hints of humor, an ideal air of seriousness, and a cryptic title. I see no mention of this John Galt throughout the chapter, but then again, I dare not question what's going through your brilliant mind. _; I'll be waiting for the next!

P.S. - So nice of you to have them name it Tsuchiya Memorial Hall *wipes tear*