Reviews for Obligations of the Heart
TheFreelancerSeal chapter 1 . 1/22
I'm a bit farther along in this story than just this chapter, but I thought I would go back and try to leave a review for each chapter. In the span of a few days, I've gone from chapter 1 to chapter 30, and this isn't the first time I've read some of this story. But I digress.

I've watched Gunsmoke for a long time, and I have to say you do it very well. This is a great story from what I've read so far, and this chapter paints some very well-written scenes. It is a bit ironic, but sad nevertheless that Matt would outlive Kitty. While it's a sad thought, I know it's necessary for the story.

I know they always showed Matt as the strong type, but let's face it, no one could keep it up, especially when the only woman he's ever felt anything for is gone. I like that you've made him a bit more human in that instance. And the dialogue is just what I'd expect in an episode, right down to Festus's hill talk. I could just imagine him saying those words.

I don't know if I'll be able to keep up reviewing chapter by chapter, but I'll definitely be reading on.

Well done.
Judyh chapter 64 . 8/25/2013
Please, may we have a new chapter soon?
TBone chapter 64 . 8/22/2013
I certainly hope that you have at least one new chapter hot off the press and ready to be posted, although I'd truly love to see even more. As with all your stories, this one is an excellent, emotionally gripping, edge-of-the-seat adventure that I couldn't put down.

If not, please, please hurry!
mahc chapter 64 . 8/3/2013
Uh oh! Complications arise. Naturally, the daughter of Matt Dillon and Kitty Russell is fearless and heads off to search for the danger. I hope she and Herbie don't get into too much trouble...but I have a feeling...

Any time you want to post again, I'll be ready! :-)
mahc chapter 63 . 8/3/2013
GSTales - You know I'm always delighted to see a new chapter of your saga. I've been especially excited to see what will unfold after "it" happened. I love the little comments and observations from various characters that reveal this change in the relationship between Matt and Sydney. In this chapter, I especially like her entrance at the meeting:

*All eyes turned to look at Sydney. The school teacher was dressed in her slightly wrinkled, flowered polished cotton with a small ring of perspiration under each armpit. Her hair was hastily pulled back and Mrs. Dowaker's attractive bonnet plopped firmly atop and held in place by several hat pins. She had what looked like a small bruise an inch or so below her left ear and a slight abrasion or burn to her right cheek. Her lips too, looked slightly swollen and there was not one of the Dodge City women gathered at the meeting who couldn't guess the reason for the ever so proper Miss Tuttwell's current state of disarray. The speculation brought added warmth to the close quarters and several fans picked up a more rapid pace to compensate."*

I enjoyed imagining just how she got that small bruise, whisker burn, and swollen lips. I can see all those old ladies fanning at the thought, too.

Also, love this firm statement: *"The name is Mrs. Dillon." She corrected, articulating her marital status lest there be doubt.*

Good research, as well, on this chapter. Looking forward to more.
lostcowgirl chapter 64 . 7/22/2013
Matt sure wouldn't like some pervert eyeing his little girl. Matilda's definitely her parents' child.
LadyofDodge chapter 63 . 7/22/2013
Thanks for this peek into a most interesting document, one I admit I am not familiar with. Thanks, too, for the peek at Sydney's slightly swollen lips and the abrasion on her cheek. We do, indeed, know what caused them! ;-)

LoD
LadyofDodge chapter 64 . 7/22/2013
"... and I think I saw one of 'em when Doc took us fishing the other day." Uh, oh, this does not bode well for Matilda. Hopefully, Herbie will lose his nerve and turn back so he can tell Ma and the Marshal where she went.

LoD
Judyh chapter 64 . 7/22/2013
These last two chapters are definitely about strong women. The suffragettes; Ma Smalley; and then, Mattie - misguided and a bad decision perhaps, but strong.
Guest chapter 62 . 6/13/2013
What a wonderful and artful "chaplet". Thanks for filling in the gaps in such a tasteful way. Glad both of them enjoyed themselves. I hope the guilt doesn't hit Matt so much that he takes two steps backwards.
LadyofDodge chapter 62 . 6/11/2013
First of all, I'll just say "ditto" to everything MAHC wrote, and now I'll try to post a few comments of my own. I love Sydney's comparison of the 4th of July celebration to her own personal fireworks, and that she finds the town's flares and sparkles to be lacking.

"He'd left her still in bed, to rush off to the office..." How often we fan fic writers have had him leave Kitty the same way.

And, of course, I couldn't help noting the reference to "their little girl." Sweet.

But now I'm worried that his "twinge of guilt" will hang like a dark cloud over this new relationship.

And, of course, the mention of Lydia Burdock reminds us that there's still trouble lurking on the horizon.

An all-around lovely chapter.

Suzanne
mahc chapter 62 . 6/10/2013
Ooooo, GSTales! This inquiring mind is eternally grateful for this chaplet! I have already read it at least five times, grinning like a fool each time. Several comments below:

*It had been amazing! The most glorious explosion of fireworks imaginable had rocketed through her core until every inch of her anatomy felt illuminated. She knew nothing planned by Mr. Bodkin, Mr. Burke and the whole of the Dodge City Independence Day Celebration Committee would rival the experience. She smiled now, for just the memory brought with it a resurgence of delightful flares and sparkles. "I want to do this again and again." She'd told him, he with hard muscles spent and the sheen of sweat glistening from his brow bestowed yet another kiss to her eager lips.*

Ah, yes! THIS is what we've been waiting for. Sydney's complete rapture with her consummation kind of reminds me of Scarlett's delighted wake-up after the night of passion in GWTW. Except I hope it's a happier ending, of course!

*She glanced around the empty room. He'd left her still in bed, to rush off to the office, but the look he gave her, told better than any words he could have uttered, he'd much rather have stayed right there beside her.*

I'll bet he would. It had been a while for poor Matt!

*Her new dress was puddled on the floor where it had landed. Her underthings littered the path to the bed. She herself was in a sure state of disarray and she wondered if she would ever be able to pull herself back together, especially in time to face the suffragettes. Even with the clock's warning tick, she found herself unable to leave the nest they'd created. Her mind strayed to those great and gentle hands of his. Who would have thought those strong fingers would have such talent?*

Yum! The beginning of the paragraph gives us a delicious picture of the haste with which they disrobed on their way to final fulfillment. The end of the paragraph just confirms what we already knew...Matt Dillon is quite a man on so many levels!

*Even so, she had worried that their little girl might walk in on them.*

How telling that she thinks of Matilda as "their little girl." How far they have come!

*It was then, as he was standing alone, that the twinge of guilt hit him full on. He'd made love to another woman and it had felt good. It had felt right. Yet here, looking across the street to that particular bedroom window he felt as though he'd betrayed something precious.*

And yet he is following Kitty's own wishes. I am hoping that he can balance the new happiness he has found with Sydney with his long-standing love for Kitty. Wonderful chapter!

MAHC
judyh chapter 62 . 6/10/2013
Lucky Sydney! And, I'm so glad that you had Matt have those feelings in the end.
JudyH chapter 61 . 6/9/2013
Ah, he felt young again, he was whistling and arriving at the office much later than usual. I'd say more than a meeting of the minds took place.
mahc chapter 61 . 6/8/2013
Wait, wait! Did we skip something? The last chapter seemed to be leading quickly to Sydney becoming much more familiar with that "particular area of the male anatomy with which she" was not previously familiar. I'm just figuring that if she thought it was "a big one" before, then NOW...

Did it end with just the kiss and promise of more to come...so to speak? Did IT happen and you were a cruel ff writer not to give us all the details? Or do we have that to look forward to...please?

All right, I'll be calmer now and comment on this chapter...but I sure am anticipating some action back with Matt and Sydney soon!

I love the spring in Matt's step at the beginning - and I hope it's partly from what has happened between Sydney and him and partly from what is ABOUT to happen between them. :-) Still, you realistically and subtly throw in the connection with Kitty that will always be there. Also, the vision of Festus and Lydia switching places and Festus all decked out in her clothes is hilarious! Having Matt find it funny is right in character, also. I figured, of course, that Ricky and Joe weren't above board with their story. Glad it's straight now, but that just means more danger is ahead for Lydia, and probably Matt, as well as Matilda and Sydney.

Hoping VERY MUCH that another chapter is quickly following this one. Really looking forward to it!

MAHC