Reviews for Comes Around
Bonsoir chapter 1 . 2/3
"Don't do him any favors. A man like that doesn't need them." Whoa, strong words! Anyway, I've been waiting since I first saw the fight between Okina and Aoshi for a story like this, and I don't know how I missed this thing over all the years I've run in and out of this fandom, but either I've forgotten or I've just never stumbled upon this. Having already read some of your previous work, I feel certain that you'll stick to characterization and this beginning is no exception.

Anyway, Okina's words make sense to me. I didn't think he was being harsh or anything. Rather, I felt he was being realistic. Even though I'm sure he can sense the distinct change in Aoshi (from the last time he fought him), he does view Misao as a father-figure, and Misao was hurt and betrayed, too–not just him. I think, too, that Okina would have every right to hold something of a grudge against Aoshi after what he did. After he was so willing to even go torture the information out of "the four" still at the Aoi-ya. (I am certain he could not have hurt Misao directly, which is why he says "the four," and this is part of why he tells her to stay away from him; he might be tempted to? Or she'd end up seeing him hurt the others? But Misao knew where Kenshin was and I think Aoshi might have known it, too, at the time. He just wasn't willing to get that information from her by hurting her.)

I love that Okina brings up this super important point: "The longer you stay here, the more she thinks she can save you." It's debatable what Misao actually thinks beyond the fact that she wants to make him smile (and perhaps help him heal), but I think it would be really easy for someone like Okina (or even Aoshi himself) to think that was her overarching goal. Aoshi is not someone who can be "fixed." And in the end, I'd say Misao's pretty naïve about how the Oniwabanshuu even work! There's a scene in the manga that I feel she'd object to, if she had been there to witness it herself.

Anyway, I imagined that for Aoshi, returning to the Aoi-ya would be the most awkward thing ever. I can't even imagine how that must have felt for him, to have to try and fit back in there, after everything he'd done, probably feeling incredibly unwelcome a good portion of the time.

The ending to this was pretty cute. When Aoshi said, "Are you sure this is wise to discuss this now?" I assumed right away that he had sensed Misao's presence. ;) I think it's debatable whether or not Aoshi would have taken care of Misao, but with Okina dead, I imagine he easily could have, and I wonder if Misao had not interfered, if he might have killed Okina, or if he didn't really have it in his heart to do that to begin with.

Interesting story and, of course, you forced me to actually think, which…well, isn't rare, but it's good. Hah!
Mirune Keishiko chapter 1 . 1/14/2006
another heart-wrenchingly beautiful piece. my eyes watered at the ending.

bah! you're such a good writer! *sobs pathetically*
Queen of Koorime chapter 1 . 8/5/2003
Thsi ia really great story, and I love your other Aoshi/Misao ones also!
charliedoggie chapter 1 . 10/22/2002
heh... well, i really didn't expect this fic to end up with such a misao-happy ending, but it seems to work just the same ...

i really would've thought that the old bastard would rant on and on about how aoshi kicked his butt and the shallow reasons why he did it in the first place (heck, i would! 'tis human nature! ), but then i realized that, in the end, okina really just wanted to make sure misao's place after the conflict was a secure, if not happy, one...

as usual, you hit the nail right on the head again, chris... _
shinsetsu chapter 1 . 5/23/2002
I wish I could write half as well as you. Oh well. You did a wonderful job with this...as usual.
chibi-angel3 chapter 1 . 5/22/2002
i loved this line, 'If he didn’t want to the rest of the Oniwabanshuu doing things for Aoshi, he had a strange way of showing it.'

chris... you are so good with this vignette stuff. actually i wrote one just like you requested. i'll pot it soon! _ your characterizations are well done and i don't know... the way you showed okina's soft and hard side was great! _
RurouniGochan chapter 1 . 5/22/2002
Wonderfully cute fic! Your fanfics always tend to touch a deeper side of the heart and yet not set anything in stone at all. But still, somehow you just KNOW.

Thanks!
Karina Kineshi chapter 1 . 5/22/2002
Very nice fic! I missed it the first time around and just now caught it. The way you portray the characters is so simple but intriguing. It's certainly a treat to have a person who doesn't care much for the characters connect with them in some way. I thought that Aoshi's reasons for beating Jiya were stupid (in the manga and anime), but now I see that there was a true reason why. Great catch at the end _ I really enjoyed this fic, keep on writing!
Gypsy-chan chapter 1 . 5/22/2002
Great job of describing that untouched scene. Okina really loves Misao so as to allow the man that nearly murdered him to come back into the fold. Really nice Misao, Okina and Aoshi fic._
Onna chapter 1 . 5/22/2002
Thanks for the suggestion. Just letting you know that I've done just what you suggested. Cute fic. Thanks for reviewing.
Seychella chapter 1 . 5/21/2002
awwww.. *sniffle* that was... so SWEET!... how do you do it!. u should write a sequel! erase that offending "END" at the bottom there and write more!.. ur always feeding us crubms lol.. when do we get the really big.. uh... STUFF! lol... aiya.. _;;;
no longer a fanfiction writer chapter 1 . 5/21/2002
I love your ambiguous endings :) They are simply awesome; I'll take them over happily-ever-after endings any day. And I liked the way you explained everything here - I have always wondered how Misao could go on loving someone who had done something so unforgivable to her. I guess I never really liked her devotion to Aoshi (too obedient...like a dog) but it seems tolerable here. Probably because I can see that she's doing it out of pure love, and just some silly infatuation. "No declaration of undying love from Aoshi here, folks, just a simple promise to take care of someone who means a lot to him" -I love that! That's sweeter than some poetic nonsense of undying love, really :)

I love the way your Aoshi's! (Misao is ok...try as I might, I can never be too fond of her) But Aoshi is simply AWESOME.
Kmye chapter 1 . 5/21/2002
Wheeeeeeee ! I myself wondered sometimes why Okina agrees that Misao takes care of Aoshi. Your answer is so cute ! Liked it very much -
Mel chapter 1 . 5/21/2002
I can't say how much I like this. It's just that good.
SAGE25 chapter 1 . 5/21/2002
You do these so well. I love it when Misao gets to flex her ninja skills, even if the other two are too good to be fooled. The fic is wonderfully crafted.