Reviews for Son
Ensavondel chapter 1 . 1/9
Just like the anime..its so sad. I love your writing style and attention to detail.
This felt like it could've been a real one shot done by the masterminds behind Death Note.
zanganito chapter 1 . 8/25/2013
This is an interesting look at Soichiro after the end of the series (movie-verse I guess?). He’s such a tragic character, and I don’t see him much in fanfic, and I just really like what you’ve done with this piece. It’s sad, but also really interesting to see how Light’s actions affected his family

I like how you bring up stress and self-destructive habits. I liked the comparison between Soichiro’s smoking and L’s horrible eating habits. Both behaviors were really unhealthy, and maybe Soichiro is right that there was an element of compulsion about the way L ate, and some of it might have been from the pressure of his job.

Soichiro having a stroke seems likely too, as everything he’s been through. Even after his stress-related heart attack, he kept pushing himself.

And I liked the symbolism with him being “split down the middle”, and how his conflicting loyalty to his son and his job tore him apart. And how he still feels so much guilt and pain over everything that’s happened – wondering if maybe things would have turned out differently if he had kept Light from detective work, or if he had trusted L more.

I also really liked the ending with Soichiro’s thought that despite everything, Light was still his son. It’s so true, because even when family members cause you pain, they’re still family.

Anyway, good job with this. It’s well-written and sad and tragic, and the emotions are spot on.
another.creative.lover chapter 1 . 8/1/2012
I'm in love with this oneshot.
I mean, I adore all of your oneshots that are companion fics to your masterpiece "Story of the Century" (especially those beautiful L x Erin fics, heh-heh), but this I feel is one of the greater ones.

I love seeing both sides of characters, and I'm really glad that you decided to center in on Light through his family's eyes, to see the side of him we only got a glimpse of in the Yotsuba arc. Not only that, but it made him seem more human; we were in his family's thoughts about him, instead of looking at him through the pages of a manga, seeing him as the "serious, straight-A student" who stood head-to-head with L, the elusive, mysterious and faceless detective.

We saw Light, the brother and the son, and best of all (for me), Light the child.
All of these "Lights" died with his "Dr. Jekyll" ego Kira, and with him, he took the spirit of his sister, his mother, and his father.

Really, a gorgeous story.
Fluoxetine chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
This is beatiful, especially the part about Soichito being split in half. And that one brief mention of L's death was even sadder rhan if it had been explored in detail.

Did Sachiko and Sayu know Light was Kira? I couldn't quite tell.
emmy chapter 1 . 4/15/2012
My heart goes out to Soichiro. Watching both the movie and the anime I could see it he felt rather conflicted, whether to believe in L's cause or his son's innocence. I really don't know where he went 'wrong'. Light perhaps became too mature and intelligent that made him easily corruptible, given the opportunity such as the Death Note. Nicely written, my friend!

By the way, the ending sorta gave me the goosebumps. After all, Light and I share the same birthday ;D
sincethelastday chapter 1 . 3/5/2012
Wow, that was really poignant! Especially the ending when Soichiro remembers holding Light as a baby and then comparing that memory to holding his son when he died.

I also loved the line, "...but when did wishing do anyone any good? Look where it got us both." Very meaningful. I look how it conveys so much in such a simple way.

Loved it!
taae chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
This was so touching and heartbreaking to read! You don't see many fanfictions here about the film version of Death Note, and that makes this even nicer to read, because it's a bit different from the norm. I can't even begin to imagine how Soichiro could have continued, knowing that his son was a murderer and wondering if it was because of his own failings as a parent. And knowing that your child who showed so much promise ended up like that, it must be so painful. I look forward to seeing more of your work! :D
the aspiring cynic chapter 1 . 3/3/2012
I've always found Soichiro's position rather interesting. He was caught in the middle between family and morality. I truly do believe that Soichiro loved his son but at times I wasn't sure if that feeling was mutual. Did Light really love his family or did he simply use them as a cover? I've always wondered about that.

A rather intriguing piece, that's for sure.
Lorraine24 chapter 1 . 3/3/2012
Incredibly touching! I've always imagined that Soichiro would probably drive himself insane trying to figure out what drove Light to become Kira. He would blame it on himself and think of all the possible places he could have gone wrong in raising his son. It's really sad, but this is what parents do. They blame their parenting skills on their children's bad behavior though out that child's life. It's always "where did I go wrong?" I've always thought Soichiro was the most tragic character in the Death Note series. Great job! )
WhenTwoTearsFall chapter 1 . 3/3/2012
That was sad. You've truly expressed how Light never got the sympathy needed. Especially from fans, they thought it would be okay if he died. But really he's as human as everyone else. I loved this.

Kiyoshi-baka
oursolemnhour49 chapter 1 . 3/2/2012
Um, ow. My poor heart. Me being the self-torturing fool I am, I would have liked this to be longer- perhaps a bit more detail on Soichiro's flashback to his heart attack (or did I completely misread that and was it a stroke?). Either way, this was really beautifully written- honestly I feel like you could do a whole series of one-shots based on the Yagamis recuperating after what happened. Your writing style works really well for such characters trying to find some meaning in a really horrible world- it's one of the reasons I love it :) Thank you for writing this.