Reviews for Through The Heart
GT500RonSmith chapter 1 . 6/20/2013
I like that Gates is warming up to the fandom. Having read her Twitter stuff, she is a nice lady and I am certain that she would love to have the Castle fans in her corner more than they already are. "Still" had to boost her ratings! But, then in "Watershed", she supports Kate taking the job, and that might have might have slipped a few shims from under her pedestal legs!
jareya chapter 1 . 2/26/2013
I think this is very insightful, especially in the light of recent events on the show!
Twyger chapter 1 . 12/7/2012
I think she is a great police officer also and understands the value of Castle. I also think she likes to yank his chain because of his relationship with the Mayor and is still a little mad the way he one-upped her in getting to stay. Like Montgomery before her, she must recognize that Rick loves Kate and that the two of them belong together. Thanks for rounding out Gates' character.
Guest chapter 1 . 7/6/2012
very well done! a great piece!
TrapperII chapter 1 . 6/6/2012
Two nice twists here: that he wasn't shooting an actual person and Gates' role. Enjoyed this!
tfnmal23 chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
wow nice angle with Gates. There needs to be more of her. She's freaking great and I'd like her and Kate to finally be a team. Two strong ladies on the same side.
Deb838 chapter 1 . 5/26/2012
OMG - I don't know what you had planned - but I wouldn't change a word of it.

That was amazing - I don't know what else to say.
Lessa22 chapter 1 . 5/2/2012
Nice drabble. Gates appearance was a nice surprise. I think you have a nice grasp of her "cold" voice.

The only thing I'm unsure of is her more personal remark to him at the end, "Even the strongest woman fears to risk her heart, Castle. Just don't let her hold herself back too long.". I just don't know if I see her even hinting at that aspect of the Castle/Beckett partnership. All in all its a tough thing to try and write and maybe I'm not giving Gates enough credit as a character. Hopefully we will get to see Iron Gates fleshed out a bit more next season.
samlis chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
Great fic! I like Gates very much and it's a shame that we see her so little on the show. So thank you for giving me some Gates)) I think you wrote her in character. We so this side of her in her dialogue with Beckett in 'Dial M for Mayor' and it's nice to have this kind of conversation with Castle too.

Oh, and I don't know why exactly I loved so much the way you discribed the targets, but I did))
anonymous.individual chapter 1 . 3/6/2012
Brilliant :)
ebfiddler chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
I really like this story humanizing Gates. Most fanfic writers just leave her out of their fics altogether, and too often, if they bring her in, she just acts in a predictably antagonistic way and then drops out again. It's as if her only purpose in being brought in to the story is simply to act as an irritant. You and a handful of other writers are seeing a bit more to Gates' character, and I like it that you're exploring the possibilities in a fic. I think there's great potential for backstory here: a person doesn't act like Gates does without a reason, and it's interesting to speculate what sorts of things contributed to make her that way. Also, although on the show, she's often presented as posing an obstacle to Beckett's and Castle's wishes, it's well worth keeping in mind that they are essentially on the same side, just differing in their approach. Gates and Beckett in particular have more in common than not. I appreciate how you've hinted at that in this story. By telling this from Castle's POV, you haven't revealed Gates's full backstory, but you've given enough hints (that Castle got, just by being his usual observant self) to show that there's a lot more there. Interesting story. (And, I'm impressed by Castle's marksmanship skills. Shows he's put in a lot of practice.) :-)
Celia Stanton chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
You're right, a lot of people don't give Gates the credit she deserves. But you have, and in spades. What's even better is that you've given depth and dimension to a character about whom we actually know very little, and yet it still ties into canon; using this scene helps to set up the one in "Kill Shot" when Castle stays behind at the precinct. Many in this fandom try to vilify characters like Gates, and yet you are able to portray your understanding effectively and make it seep into our own thoughts as though it has always been that way. It's exceptionally effective, so bravo to you.

And I know I sound like a broken record when I say this, but I just love the way you set your scenes; it's this marvelous balance of subtlety and strength (so very much like the Iron Maiden herself) and I adore the visual of the boys standing side by side as Beckett laid in the hospital. The mantra of "I can't let him get another shot at her" is at once empowering and chilling, because there will always be an uncontrollable element when it comes to this conspiracy; as much as they might try to prepare themselves for what lies ahead, life isn't that linear most of the time. And yet it's perfectly understandable - perfectly *human* - that they should at least try. Their actions here make perfect sense, and it's that command of characterization that keeps me coming back to read your work time and again.

As always, inspired. Thanks for yet another wonderful read.
eesperas chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
Gates is important,no doubt!i agree retrospective on that!and Castle?he does need ) ,ur words and into Marlowe's ears!
mojor chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
loved that beyond words!

and i also like Gates. There was that episode where she told Beckett that she loved cops, i think that's where her motivation comes from- her desire to protect her family of cops as best she can and Castle is just outside of that enough to throw her off. I think she knows they're on the same team.

anyway, fantastically well written! I liked seeing Castle portrayed as capable and determined as well.
angusdei chapter 1 . 3/3/2012
Castle with a gun.. I like this already. I love the way you show how affected Castle actually is by beckett's shooting. Aside from eps 4x01 and the murder board, i don't think the show has really mentioned anything. Castle seem to take it very well or he just has martha's acting talent more than ppl think. But THE GUN! YES, PLEASE GIVE THE MAN A GUN! He is freakin hot when he handle the gun with ease. Lol

on Gates, i love how you picturing Gates in here. I like Gates, when i watch the show, i always try to catch tidbits that she actually approved Castle and like him to be in the precinct, agrees that he is the perfect partner for Beckett. She likes castle/beckett, she just doesn't show it and i like that, a secret closeted fan. x]

And the way you are picturing her past, saying that castle and her has some similarity. ooh.. I love it. So she actually has similarity with beckett over being a woman in a precinct and once was the youngest ever being a detective. AND (ogawd, so many 'and's. If this is a paper, i'll get an F. Lol) AND she also has similarity with castle about something happened in the past. Making Gates has a lil bit beckett and a lil bit of castle in her. I LIKE THIS! ;]

o wow, first time i blabs this long in a review. I'll stop now. and your writing, don't ask me, anything you write, my answer will be the same, I LOVE IT! xD