Reviews for Vode An
impoeia chapter 10 . 7/10/2013
Brotherhood, stamina, loyalty. Hmmm, I think I really like those things. As a matter of fact, I do believe that it is the perfect motto not just for the commandos, but for this squad in particular. It really encompasses everything they are. And it's certainly the three things they'll most need as they are heading off into battle. Ah, they grow so fast.

I really liked this insight into the early years of a commando pod. I'm eager to see what Holt, Jek, Chip and Dov will be encountering in the future. Tons of adventure and challenges await, no doubt.
impoeia chapter 9 . 7/10/2013
Uhhh, I really like those closing lines. "Stop focusing on being the best of the team and actually work at being a team." I think that's a perfect goal to aspire to and a great way of looking at things. I also really like the reasons behind the new names and the roles each of them has to play in the squad. The brain, the courage, the strength and the leadership. I like it. Really like it. But I have to say, I like the reasoning behind Jek's name the best. A Jek-bird attacking in a flash of color, but with no real plan. That's just great. I had to smile at '33's description because it hit the nail on the head, fit him perfectly and it was said in such a wonderful way.
impoeia chapter 8 . 7/10/2013
Ah, poor boys. I can see that they've not yet gotten a handle on working as a team. I guess, given the individuality of each member and their varying personalities, it's not too surprising. But watching them struggle to come together as a unit certainly is interesting. Very different from other commando squads, where you get the idea that they've meshed almost from the start.

Poor '12, shooting Dov by accident. I guess that's one way of looking at friendly fire. Actually, poor Dov, come to think of it. He got *shot* by his brother. Bet he wont be happy when he wakes up.
impoeia chapter 7 . 7/7/2013
Ohh, poor boys. Causing chaos is never as easy as one might think. Still, I'm not so sure this bit of mischief is done just yet. '33 certainly sounds determined. And I love how the skill sets of these boys is beginning to emerge. '12 definitely seems to have a tech streak in him. And the bickering between '33 and '56 is just wonderful. So very...brotherly.
impoeia chapter 5 . 7/6/2013
Ha! I had to laugh at this. Boys and their sweets and mentions of "the illusive hunt for strawberries" nearly cracked me up. That was just too adorable for words. And isn't this group of commandos a pack of rascals? And daring to boot, breaking into their sergeant's apartment, to get a taste of something sweet and juicy.

I laughed when they all started to hide, because they were literally the boys who got caught with their hands in the cookie jar (or the cake container). I wonder how Apma is going to handle this.
impoeia chapter 4 . 7/5/2013
I'm really liking Apma. He's very much into his role as Mandalorian father to these boys and he seems less erratic than Kal Skirata in some ways. It's good for them to know that there's someone out there who cares for them, someone outside of their pod. I also like the lessons he learned here, the emphasis you put on aliit and vode. Family is really all these boys have.
impoeia chapter 3 . 7/5/2013
I liked this chapter; there was a lot of self-discovery in it. I have to say, '34 is developing into quite the concerned team leader. He seems to have the heart for it, though I must admire 7156's ability to keep his mind on the mission and continue with the exercise. He seems like quite the accomplished fighter.

8112's wish for a scar made me smile. It's such a little boy thing, to want a scar, but also very much in the mannerisms of a clone. This way, he has his first real identifying marker, the thing that will set him apart from all the rest. His showing off of the scar was also great. Quite adorable, in fact, in the way only little boys can be.

And the first name has been given. Dov for 7533. I like it. It's not only a good clone name, but it suits him too. Dove's aren't always the most communicative of birds, though when they have to say something, they say it well. I'll be interested to see what other names these commandos will acquire.
impoeia chapter 2 . 7/4/2013
Well, isn't RC-9934 the little optimist of the group? I like that about him. Every family needs someone who can dream big and get excited about all sorts of things. Kind of feels like he will be the one to keep them together mostly. I do wonder if he'll be the leader as well.

And he's stuck in a pack full of the silent types. I had to smile when you differentiated the silence between 7156 and 8112. That's a great way to give some small cues about their personality. 8112 strikes me as someone who's thoughtful, though that might just be because he takes care with his speech. I think seeing 7156 and 9934 trying to get along in the long run will be entertaining. There's a lot of potential for head-butting there.

I had this astounding urge to get into the story and cuddle 7533 when he was standing there, all alone, waiting for his pod. Commandos really are happiest in a bunch. I'm looking forward to them finding their names and getting to see their personalities develop more. Apma seems like a good sergeant to have around for that time.
impoeia chapter 1 . 7/4/2013
What an interesting look at the very, very beginnings of a clone's life. I've never quite been able to imagine what "birth" might have been like for them, but I really like your take on the situation. It feels true; the whole procedure of checking motor functions, the confusion of knowing things without being able to tell how you know them, trying to catalogue everything around you and identify where you belong in that order. I particularly like RC-7156's observations about him not being white and wondering why.

The contrast between these boys and regular kids that are just born is so startling that it's almost surreal. I mean, they were just "born" and can already speak and move of their own and form cognitive thoughts. It makes me sad, to think of how much they missed, considering all the love and attention a child gets during its infant years. But then, the Kaminoans would only "birth" children that are ready to start the training program.

I really like your emphasis on "birth" here and what it means to be born. A start of life, but these guys are taking it in a whole new direction. Being alive, as in, starting the purpose they were made for, having an element of self-awareness. I like that very much. I'll be interested to see more of these two commandos.
Eregnar chapter 10 . 3/17/2013
Awww. They're all so cute :) I'll definitely be trying out the sequels.
Queen chapter 10 . 12/11/2012
This is such a lovely story - I'm so glad they all got names, and learned to work through their differences to form a true family. Apma seems like a really good sergeant/surrogate father figure to them all, in the mold of a figure like Kal Skirata...which I'm assuming was the intent.

But this was a great story, and you did good job of getting across each one of the boys' personalities right away, even before they'd been named. Getting into trouble, learning together...I hope it serves them well as they head out into the war.

Nicely done!
Queen chapter 1 . 12/11/2012
Very nice...I love how you've differentiated between 'being alive' and 'being born'. Some wonderful touches having 7156 just getting up, noticing what's around him, what things feel like...he's barely out of his growth jar and already showing personality and a sense of humor...9934 doesn't seem to be far behind, even if he seems convinced they're not supposed to be funny.

Interesting start!
laloga chapter 10 . 7/31/2012
Very nice! Yay for finishing your first story - it's a wonderful accomplishment and you should be very proud. :) I look forward to reading more about these guys' adventures in the future.

As Stillwater said, a little more insight into Holt's thoughts would be welcome, but nothing detracted from the story. Leaving Kamino for the first time...it's a momentous occasion and you did a great job capturing the moment. *Loved* that they carved their names into the table. :D

[applauds] Wonderful job!
Blue Raspberry Boy chapter 10 . 7/31/2012
Congrats on finishing your story! :)

Great ending; very emotional. I would have liked to get into the clones' heads a little more - for example, what are some memories flashing in front of Holt? What is Jek thinking of? What is worrying Chip? - but otherwise it was still great and a satisfying ending to your story.

Looking forward to more.
ACEamazombie chapter 10 . 7/30/2012
Awwwwwww so sad oh but so happy