Reviews for Heart to Heart
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 1 . 8/16/2013
Excellent! And I loved how you so concisely had her express both the fact that she didn't invite Pamuk in, but also that she made a choice to willingly continue. Both things were true, and this conversation fits into canon beautifully. Bravo! I've yet to read your writing and be disappointed by it: you capture the characters and the feel of the world so well. No off moments to throw me out if your stories. Thank you!
jmar chapter 1 . 4/19/2012
I've dreaded reading this story...I didn't want to know what Mary said to Matthew...I didn't like Pamuk (who did?) & didn't want to see his name in print again...(I know, I'm being a baby & this is a story for grownups, not children!)

You've captured the conversation very well; Matthew - always confused when it comes to Mary; Mary - always so melodramatic & insecure...yes! insecure because she carries the weight of the world, her world, upon her shoulders. She wants to protect herself, but also, Downton, her parents, the legacy, the title, the fortune. It all comes down to her. Or so she thinks. Thanks for food for thought!
Audrey C chapter 1 . 4/18/2012
You captured this moment perfectly. I can understand why Fellowes didn't write this scene into the show. But it's nice to get a glimpse anyway! Love your work!
victoriatonks chapter 1 . 4/3/2012
Oh man, I loved it. Loved it. I've always longed to 'see' this scene and now, thanks to your fabulous ficlet, I can, so THANK YOU. It's completely IC, for both of them; and as intense as this conversation must've been.

Guess these lines are my favourite: "The weight on her shoulders screamed, begged for release - to the one person she trusted the most in the world, the one person she cared for the most in the world, the beacon of brightness, always there… until this. Then he would be gone; of that she was certain."

I felt my heart clench when I read them. *tear* Brilliant writing.
Downtonjunkie chapter 1 . 3/22/2012
I think you your view of what was said between M & M off stage would probably have been pretty acturate, if that scene had been shown in the CS. If I close my eyes I can see it being acted out, which indicates how well you have gotten into the characters.
SpangleyPony chapter 1 . 3/19/2012
it is realistic and very well written but the romantic in me would have liked it better if you continued it past the confession and had them work through everything to a happy conclusion. :-D
Pemonynen chapter 1 . 3/8/2012
I forgot to review this when you posted it sorry!

As already mentioned, the similarities were very interesting! I completely believe, and agree, that she would have resigned herself in to believing that Matthew would hate her and not want to see her again. I also love how you've captured Matthew's innocence (HIS FACE!) and how she almost does have to spell it out.

I think this is my favourite out of all of the confessions you've written, but I agree that it was good that we didn't *actually* see it. What Mary actually said to Matthew is between them (and Fellowes)! Excellent work! :)
TrapperII chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
Very plausible, particularly the way the confession finally pours out of her, the way she flings it at him almost antagonistically. This was my favorite line:

"All this spilled out in a rush, almost an attack, and as soon as it was over she wilted helplessly, shivering at the sudden cold in the night air and the distance between them."

BTW, if I had to choose between you writing 4 stories and not responding to reviews or 1 story and responding to reviews, I know which one I would pick! :) I don't know how you write these so quickly. I wrote one short one, and it took me forever!
By My Pen chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
This is really good. Ka pai XD

You should do one of her telling Carlisle.
Tripp3235 chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
THANK YOU ! For writing this.

And I especially thank you to have her say what she said. She didn't invite him. While I really do appreciate Mary's sense of ownership of the situation of Pamuk (she is a product of her own fate, not a victim or how she perceives herself), the truth is she did NOT invite Pamuk and I wanted Matthew to at least know that. Of course he'll never know the real reluctance she went with him. But at least this helps.

And thank you!
GhostIsland chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
Whee, I can finally review this *properly!* :) And I simply love it. :D I love how every time you write it, it's different. This just has so much more *weight* to it (and rightfully so!) than a S1 Pamuk confession, and you communicate that brilliantly here. I think my absolute favorite line is "Oh, what do you think we were doing, Matthew-" because it's pitch-perfect Mary, but it makes Matthew's innocence so very clear. I LOVE how Matthew doesn't quite get it, and Mary's bitter, self-deprecating humor. Seriously awesome - thanks for posting! :) Keep writing! :D
darkblueyank chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
Thank you, such a great story with so many insights. There are things I never thought about before but then you write of them and I think "of course". Like Mary's overwhelming need to tell Matthew because of all that he means to her when at the same time she believes she will lose him. These feelings didn't seem to be there in S1 when she dithered about telling him, but they come through in S2 (my view). And I loved your comment at the end about Julian Fellowes not showing the confession because he wanted the focus to be on Matthew's reaction; so true, and I never thought of that. When I watched the CS I felt like the Dowager Countess grumbling about important things happening offstage. But I guess some things are kept offstage for a reason.

You have the words, physical movements, and emotional reactions of Mary and Matthew down perfectly. I especially liked Matthew's inability to process what he was hearing. Bad news csn be like that - the words go into the air but the meaning doesn't come across.

Matthew and his reaction make me think of the song "Centerfold" by Band - an 80's song so probably before the time of many readers here! But it helped me feel Matthew's reaction to Mary not being a virgin, because it's hard to get the gut sense of that nowadays.
URMYSTICK chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
My God, he was truly crushed wasn't he?..gulp. I almost felt nauseous reading through Matthew's gut reaction. However, something that has struck me again (felt it watching the actual scene at Christmas too)is how very very obvious it is these two are aware they belong together. Mary is engaged to another, Matthew has removed himself from the picture, in his grief, yet both of them react quite blantantly, as lovesick fools. When they're alone there's no pretence. I also love Matthew's painfully slow-on-the-uptake retort..which irratates Mary into snapping back, yet it's herself she's really irratated with.

Thanks for this, it needed doing.

P.S Just wondering, have you done a 'what if' piece on Lavinia not coming down the staircase and no Spainish Flu?..a one shot..
naug296 chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
Please do continue! We know where they ended up, but let's hear what Matthew has to say...
phillygirl29 chapter 1 . 3/4/2012
I liked your take on this. I always wondered what Mary would say in this situation.