Reviews for Paradise Lost
Lindale chapter 14 . 2/26/2008
Beautiful, just incredible.

I think this is a beautiful story and extreamly well written.

I loved the idea of the statue of Miriel and Finwe!

A slight, picky critism, is that when they were speaking, they used the Quenyan form, but in the rest of the text, it was the Sindarin version. I personally wouldn't do that but that is my view.

I also thought Celebrimbor was born after the migration, for I though only two (known and written) grandchildren of Finwe went to the East- Orodreth (if you chose to count him as a son of Finarfin) and Idril and any possible children of Irime or Findis..

Overall, very nice!

aloofelf chapter 14 . 10/30/2007
Beautiful story. Absolutely beautiful. I enjoyed it very much and please continue to write more!
anonymous chapter 14 . 7/6/2005
I enjoyed reading a good story about Feanor and his family. As for criticism, there isn't much I can think of except perhaps formatting the font on sentences which seem to be thought rather than dialogue.
ElvenSoul chapter 14 . 10/27/2004
This story is an amazng piece of work, I must say it is really beautiful, and profound. You know SO much, and you put all of this knowledge into such good use, and I love the way how you weave the 'canon' scenes with your own, or with different perspectives. Your portrayal of the characters are VERY believable, and you've captured the essence of the whole thing brilliantly. It actually initiates almost the same 'feeling' when reading the pulished Silmarillion (and related). It's first class stuff!
knux the gaurdian chapter 13 . 7/19/2004
This was great. I think it is the best story based on this part of the Silmarillion I have ever read. Finaly a story where Maedhros isn't gay!
Elven Nimue chapter 13 . 9/7/2003
I really like this story. I enjoy it immensely. You portray the characters beautifully. I especially love Feanor. Usually in fanfiction he is portrayed rather insane. In this he is ill-tempered but he is not that abusive or too violent. I suppose he is very understanding and wiser in this piece.

One thing I did notice that just seemed little odd was that in chapter 8 Maedhros says that his father is 21 years older than him. And that Maedhros is older than Maglor by 21 years also, but that means in chapter one he is only a little over that age. Maedhros acted very young then. If Feanor was married and had a child at that same age...I don't know, it just seems odd. Then again I probably missed something, or didn't understand it properly. So just ignore this if I'm being silly.

Anyway, continue. It is extremely good, I'd love to see more.

stearchica chapter 14 . 7/2/2003
I love this :) It's... different! Im curious how you are going to portray the kinslaying... glad you're updating this!

oh, when you say: Indis was not even a year old yet, i assume you meant Idril, not Indis (Chapter 13)

please continue this :)
erunyauve chapter 13 . 6/30/2003
This chapter brings up something I've often wondered about - did Tolkien see Feanor as something of a mystic, who truly saw the heart of Eru, or as a madman who mistook his own pride for Eru's will? If Eru had already foreordained the eventually rule of men and fading of the elves in ME, then the Noldor's return to Beleriand is pretty important, since it is through the Noldor that the Edain become enemies of Morgoth and manage to survive the First Age, not to mention that the 'divine' strain introduced into the line of Elros occurs largely due to the Noldor - directly, through Idril, and indirectly through Luthien (if we presume that without the Noldor, Luthien might not have married Beren). It would be interesting to imagine a history of Beleriand if the Noldor had not left Aman - that might indirectly justify Feanor.
Finch chapter 13 . 6/30/2003
Fascinating description of the funeral ceremony, and I liked the little detail that Maedhros didn't know it existed - it wasn't as if the Elves of Aman died like flies. The revisionist version of Feanor's desire to leave Aman is indeed rather different... but I must confess that I do feel like Maedhros, wanting to hear the reason. The Silmarils, I guess?

Maglor devising a musical alphabet: of course he would! (Somehow I always thought the Elves would have a number of pentatonic scales, but obviously Maglor chose otherwise.)
Jillian Baade chapter 13 . 6/29/2003
Funnerals always feel unreal, and how more so to elves, who are supposed to lose their friends and family to death.

I like Feanor's actually orginally asking permission to leave Valinor. How much trouble could have saved if they had said yes!
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 12 . 3/7/2003
Damn! I'd written a lovely long review for this chapter - and ate it. Didn't think to save a copy of it before attempting to post it either, so it's lost for good. And I don't have the energy to write the whole thing over.

Suffice it to say that I enjoyed this chapter very much - poor Feanor's grief giving rise to his vow to heal Arda, the flashback showing the loving interaction between father and son (a paradise lost, indeed), Celebrimbor in the well, and Feanor's concern for his only grandchild. I'm looking forward to seing where you go with the story next.
Maeve Riannon chapter 12 . 3/4/2003
What a dramatic scene, that of Fëanor and the dead Finwë, and what wonderful feeling of impending doom. Now the tragedy is unfolding at what will happen next.
Deborah Judge chapter 12 . 3/2/2003
Wow! What a chapter!

The image of Finwe's marred body keeps coming up over and over. The beginning is incredible, with Feanor wanting to hurt himself so he'll be damaged like his father. And we see again and again the shock, not that someone would die, but that he would die violently.

The scenes of Feanpr as a boy certainly say what need to be said. "A father other than you would not understand."

And the lines at the taking Mandos' lines, and what he doesn't say. He still thinks he can heal the world. I can't help but hope that in your telling he can.
Finch chapter 12 . 3/2/2003
I'm beginning to like your Feanor more and more. Of course, being who he was, he would have invented signal flags and morse - this was great fun to read, despite the darkness of the situation.

Little Celebrimbor in the well was a nicely realistic detail; I could just see it before me. And I always love the way you 'relocate' quotations from various Middle-earth sources. Somehow, this lends credibility to the revisionist version of these events.
erunyauve chapter 12 . 3/1/2003
Many apologies for not having reviewed this before - I read the first part and then lost track of it; it's taken me a while to get caught up. I rather like the way you've used Tolkien's own words to present a more sympathetic Feanor. I also liked the mention of Osse's storms in Chap. 11 - I've always seen Osse as a bit more independent than the Valar would like.