Reviews for Her Name is Bella: Masen Days Prequel
Lady Dragona chapter 6 . 4/5/2012
Now we know when Edward smoked for the first time and who gave it to him. I love how you are filling in the blanks of Edward's past and letting get to know Alice and how she fits into Edward's life.
Lady Dragona chapter 5 . 4/5/2012
So now we know where Masen came from. What a great way to show their relationship.
Lady Dragona chapter 4 . 4/5/2012
It is great seeing how Edward gets his first skateboard.
Lady Dragona chapter 3 . 4/5/2012
Things are starting to get bad for Edward too now. So sad.
Lady Dragona chapter 2 . 4/5/2012
This shows the beginning of the abuse and it is so sad that it started with his mom being hurt when he was still so young.
Lady Dragona chapter 1 . 4/5/2012
I like the way you are introducing Alice.
reve2weaver chapter 9 . 4/3/2012
I really... really appreciate how this made me feel... uncomfortable, sad, and helpless and so, so been there, when I think back to some of the kids I knew back in the day. I love how this author lets all these characters live and breath inside the space of imperfect humanity and in particular, that of damaged youth. They're let down and weak and for all these reasons, resigned to what's beyond their control, and holding on with both hands to what they can have, even if it's only for a moment.

Abused adolescents inhabit this very well drawn out world, and it's not fair to try to write a story that shows how love puts a Wal-Mart happy face sticker on their face, but the author gets how the smallest of gestures can mean so much. Or how some fanfictions offer up shallow and cliched versions of the same angry and tattooed thug, but this author gets how these kids do wear their scars inside out as a diversion.

I love how these kids weren't simple or screechy, and their problems were complex and yet illustrated in the quiet moments and metaphors, not boiled down to hyperbole throw downs 'explanations of my feeeelings YO!'.

Good writing show where families bump elbows and break bread at fast food places, and I particularly liked Rose's silence. It made sense as her own survival instinct. We may not 'like' it, but people do this. We do this. And maybe her refusal to accept and pat Edward's aching head, sends it's own powerful message, inadvertently, in it's own effed up way. She refused to enable or accept his dogged loyalty to his mom, and maybe he saw that, too.

It's the evolving village that makes this tale so rich, such a feast. The hard and sharp-eyed edges throwing shifting prisms in a kaleidoscope of troubled beauty, not holding back punches, and hues of violet and yellows shift over his thickening pubescent skin. Just like his bruises, it is unforgettable how it shapes him, and those around him.

Thank you for remembering that it isn't just one or two 'episodes', but lifestyle that takes years to extricate, and some never leave, and continue the pattern. It's their normal.

THank you for not offering me the Walton cum Hallmark 'buck up' and 'he's so sooo good' solution that too fanfic authors imagine they must write. Surely they watch too much daytime TV, and don't read enough books or research. I can tell this fantastic author knows the difference between school-girl fantasy, and what is great and gritty writing about the real world. It shows in these well paced and unflinching words about a life time of abuse, that even if you know it's happening, that doesn't mean it magically stops, or the right and wrong has a hard line.

Telling readers everything is going to be all right and it always gets better is like telling a fat person they will should smile because one day they will be skinny (but this pill for just eight easy payments of 19.99...) We know there is hope, and wanting the best for others, but surely we can see that it just ain't necessarily so... not even in the happy-hally joy-joy fanfic world of Edward loves Bella... because even a endless supply of ice cold cans of coke has it's price...

Brilliant... love it!
dreamngo4it9 chapter 9 . 3/31/2012
i really loved this! i loved getting alice's point of view and learning more about their relationship

it was beautiful! as always, id love more!
magmom2 chapter 9 . 3/18/2012
It was good to have this background.
colourfulchatterbox chapter 9 . 3/11/2012
Wow. :)

This is just as awesome as I thought it would be :D

I wanna hear how he describes her!

It was so great hearing about a younger Edward/Masen...and sad to see the changes that went on. I am now BEYOND happy that he had Alice there :)

Thank you for sharing this. :D
dlhk chapter 9 . 3/8/2012
Gah! I love it. But I need more, now. I need more of Alice's perspective when he tells her about Bella and about when his relationship progresses with Bella. Gah! I HAVE to have it. Like, I feel like I might die without more. ;) Seriously. -mommyofboth
dlhk chapter 8 . 3/8/2012
I adore edward's extended family. I wish Edward could have stayed. I understand more now why Edward had to not only get away from his dad, but why he had to go to California. in sure they'll love how happy Bella makes him.
dlhk chapter 7 . 3/8/2012
It's so sad to me that Rosalie pulls away just so she doesn't have to feel guilt and be sad about Edward's situation. :( I love that Alice and Edward have the relationship they have.
dlhk chapter 6 . 3/8/2012
It all worked out fine in the end because Masen is smart and doesn't want to lose control, but with a situation like he has, he could have very well turned to drugs and alcohol and I can't believe Alice would have introduced that to him at only 14! I understand they wanted to expose him with them there, but he's 14! It could have gone badly. He could have liked it, self medicated with other things and become a meth head and heroin addict. Sigh. Alice is lucky.
dlhk chapter 5 . 3/8/2012
I'm glad Edward doesn't make Alice and his family call him Masen, but it's still funny that he freaked out at Bella when she called him Edward. I can see why Bella was so jealous of Alice.
117 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »