Reviews for Sunshine Sidestories
MrSir17 chapter 19 . 3/20
God damn Shikako's little duel with the demon really hit everyone around the world huh? I'm glad I checked back here that's an interesting bit of info! Man I love this story!
Dmol8 chapter 19 . 3/14
OK this was well done. Now I know which people connected to Shikako had noticed the moment of explosion and which haven't and why that was so. Food for thought this.
Axel Fones chapter 17 . 3/13
Damn. I guess that's not the kind of thing you just ask someone, huh?
I alredy left a review here, but I just realised... Kakashi is in the village right? Will HE link the reaction of Obito's eye to Shikako's predicament?
It's interesting to see things from the point of view of others people for this event... Will Gaara ever know? Through his connexion with Shukaku? I wouldn't expect Naruto to get news of Shikako's near death experience during his travels... But as Kazekage, does Gaara has chances of knowing what he felt came from Shikako? Or will Konaha keep it all under the radar.
TT.. i dont why i feel like crying.. the pain shikako felt everyone also felt it even though indirectly..
sorry for my broken english cause i really fail in english. im malaysian
Greatazuredragon chapter 19 . 3/7
Very nice idea, good work.
xenocanaan chapter 19 . 3/5
In a way, Kurama was right with Gelel, for all intents and purposes Shikako was likely to die after being impaled. They only reason she didn't was because of Gelel, then Shikamaru pulling her back. This time she would have died too if not for her summons. Great chapter though and I'm glad Naruto is building some type of rapport with Kurama. I am curious if Haku and Zabuza felt anything, after all the died during the canon timeline, and their survival is tied pretty closely to Shikako. Maybe not due to her having pretty limited time with them, but I am curious. Anyways, I can't wait to read more of these!
Idhren chapter 19 . 3/4
...did I not leave a review for this already? I keep coming back to reread it - it's both an intensification of the Hot Springs arc and a glorious little hoard of revealing character moments and POVs that I've been wistful for a glimpse of for some time.

How often has Shikamaru been waking up in the middle of the night to check on his sister, his dad, and now more recently Kino-chan, since his injury? I remember him noticing Shikako was gone when she had given up on sleep and gone to do research all night on what became the Shadow Hand (Limb?) assistance seal. I didn't realize he might still be doing such rounds even now - the way you write it makes it sound habitual, and it's heartbreaking beneath the very Shikamaru economy of grumbling words. It's clear too that Shikamaru's immediate, almost obsessive attachment to the new baby is more than generic sentimentality: he's using family as his touchstone, his anchor, and he's leaning on Kino-chan to be the new younger sibling needing his love and protection where Shikako won't let him protect her the way he wants to. I hope Shikamaru learns from his mom and dad how to find a balance, here, of how to love and protect without growing dependent on others' dependence.

Kakashi 3 . Obito's eye weeping as Shikako weeps. There's so much in this little snippet - Kakashi also having sleep problems, but living by himself and being mildly passive-aggressive at no one in particular about his right to own his own issues and occasionally indulge them. (How old is Kakashi at this point anyway? He's a combat vet, and an established authority figure, but also still young, and that latter comes across much more clearly in his own POV than it usually does through Shikako's.) Also, I love the line about "he's only just finished with mysterious Sharingan related health problems and doesn't really want any more" - it brings home to me all over again that for the last six months - maybe even last year - Kakashi's been assuming he's going to be dead within a year or two. He's been trying to ensure his team, his three precious Genin students (they'll always be his Genin students even if they have Genin students of their own) are as well-taught and taken care of as possible before he's no longer around to help them, trying to keep serving his village to the last of what he can consistent with the legacies he's taken on himself to keep alive. And now? Kakashi's free of the death sentence. How liberating - and terrifying. He's going to live after all, if he doesn't fuck it up. And that means all the responsibilities he was trying to account for and hand off are no longer ones he has to give up. He can be there for his friends and his students and his village, and that means he has to take care of himself to make sure he will be there for them. Tsunade's probably going to lean on him even more, and he might actually be ready for it. (I treasure every bit of Tsunade and Kakashi interacting, even if it's Kakashi supplying both sides of the imaginary conversation. :D)

Gaara! Gaara is so fantastic here. I must admit I giggled at bit at "occasionally whichever ninja happens to be passing by at the time" - oh to be a fly on the wall for a few of those encounters! The stylistic thread between these snippets of italicizing certain key words, a delicate threading of emphasis, really starts to majorly pay off here: the contrast between vision/hope implicit in how the village /could/ operate, vs the retroactive danger implicit in looking /crazy/, the way Gaara is not free to press against a source of head pain like Kakashi was for fear of how it makes him look, is nuanced to land right in my feels. (Ow, and yes yes yes.) Shukaku's gloating, Temari and Kankurou's concern, the sense of all these delicate relationships and counterbalances and how Gaara and his siblings are growing into themselves in a big way - so satisfying. I could happily read an entire fic just about the three of them putting Suna to rights again. Very curious if there is any sign at the Garden to be discovered, any connection lingering between Shikako's shard of Gelel and the distributed Garden Gelel has become.

Jiraiya's POV is hilarious (of course he would give Naruto Icha Icha and "hope that took care of it"), though I also like the subtle sense of what his Sage-enhanced sensitivities reveal ("There is no thread - immediate, potential or past - in the area"). Naruto's words really do mangle my heart every time I read them, though - both the way he clearly is talking to and trusting Kurama at least a bit (such contrast to ShukakuGaara!), but also the depths of his trust and faith in Shikako's ability to beat the odds. Naruto's emotional shifts are so clear, so fully felt, that you want to believe him and feel as he does. As a reader, I know Shikako got her ass thoroughly kicked at least as much as she was doing any kicking of Jashin's ass, and that Kurama's assessment of her peril at that moment is all too accurate, but I want to believe as Naruto does that she'll pull through because she's Shikako and she's his friend and she has such friends as Naruto to support her. Jiraiya being left awake, blindsided by not looking beneath the beneath with Naruto of all people, while Naruto curls up and goes right back to sleep, is fantastic. Yes, Jiraiya, sometimes thinking you can read Naruto like a book does *not* pay off.

Shikaku's POV is so evocative - you're managing poetry levels of compression throughout this sidestory, and it absolutely shining here in how much you pack into just two sentences: the horizon engulfed in fire (!), the tragedy of being connected without recognizing what's coming across that connection. I was rereading one of the earlier sidestories about Shikaku singing to baby Shikako after the trauma of Kyuubi's chakra unleashed, and thinking about how many times Shikaku has cradled his daughter when she's unresponsive, how haunting it must have been to be on the battlefield in the aftermath of that horizon engulfed in fire, leading and commanding, and to have Shikako potentially beyond recall, in his arms, the old nightmare returned and intensified, and be unable to put everything else aside and just hold her and sing to her however long it might take to call her back to life. What a tragedy to watch a miracle go quiet and cold, indeed.

Heijomaru and the Sika Clan, and the hints of all those summoners before Sembei and what the Sika Clan gets from the summoner contract. So neat to have a glimpse of how Shikako's chakra might feel to others, her chakra at least very much not a contamination at all but a welcome and desired gift. Her chakra integrated into the air, the river, the herd, such that all feel it and their surroundings echo her words. She calls but does not Summon, so 'jomaru Summons her as one of his. Yes yes yes.

Thank you for the gift of this; it's one of my favorite sidestories so far.
NinjaDemonAngel chapter 19 . 3/3
*Jaw drops at author note* oh my god. That's right! How- how didn't I see that coming?!

Do... Do you have a DOS conspiracy map at the ready?
pineapplehead chapter 19 . 3/2
YESSS AN UPDATE! 3
CarmesiCaos chapter 19 . 3/1
What about Sasuke?
IWantColoredRain chapter 19 . 2/27
Very good
k123 chapter 19 . 2/26
They were all good, but honestly seeing her call from Heijomaru's side of it was so heart breaking, like of course he pulled, that his summoner and he's going to damn well protect her, my heart is so full.
victor janus chapter 19 . 2/24
ah so the explosion only hit the border good.
also kurama can't be blamed if she is able to survive things she has no business doing so.