Reviews for Sometime After
Vi-Violence chapter 1 . 8/22/2012
Made me cry.
thepunishment chapter 6 . 6/1/2012
And "Break" is fantastic in still another way-emotionally, it's complicated and brutally honest. I always love your exploration of Chell's character, whether you take it one direction or another, and in this I love that she is just so broken and conflicted. No smoothing over their past. It hurts me to see them hurting like this, and I know her wounds are probably not the type that will ever fully heal, but again I'm glad that they do have each other, even if their relationship is unbalanced and unhealthy and they're both suffering from it. Because it would be even worse if they were apart.
thepunishment chapter 5 . 6/1/2012
With regards to "Making"... I feel like I don't even have the words to put together a review worthy of this chapter. Your portrayal of moments of passion and emotion are second to none, I swear I could get lost in these sentences. Apart from the frankly captivating description of his devotion to her, and his physical response to her acceptance of him, there is just so much charm and tenderness in the way this story is written. It's so honest and innocent, so sweet and comfortable. Beautiful work.
thepunishment chapter 4 . 6/1/2012
AHHH. Okay. 'Regret' is also now on my official list of Favorite Lacey Fics (though, to be honest, I seriously doubt anything you've written ISN'T on that list)... this is just so heartwrenching to read. There are so many places you can take these characters post-Aperture, and this particular place I don't see too often. A forgiving, caring Chell and a Wheatley who can't let go. You are so good at building complex emotional situations in the characters from whose perspective you write, and reading through this I found myself feeling the same sense of fear and despair Chell did. And you also did a wonderful job in displaying Wheatley's emotions, though the story isn't from his perspective, through all of those little physical details (the shaking, OH GOD.) ... The situation is awful for both of them, but at the same time there is a note of hope in that she cares for him and is trying her hardest to make things easier for him. I think I'm going to tell myself he eventually believed her.
thepunishment chapter 3 . 6/1/2012
Wonderful use of parallel structure in "Self Control" at the beginning there-I love seeing their respective takes on the situation, their hesitation and worry, and the way they give in to the feeling and the moment as it takes them. The run-on sentences are more than welcome here. I think they really convey that tone of hurried, desperate need in a way a more rigidly structured paragraph could not. The ending gives me all of the best warm happy feelings, and I feel I must again reiterate: GOOD GOD WOMAN, YOU ARE GOOD AT WORDS.
thepunishment chapter 2 . 6/1/2012
This chapter (Unit) reads like a beautiful dream. I can't think of a more eloquent way to say: I love the words you use and the way you use them. One of my absolute favorites of yours.
thepunishment chapter 1 . 6/1/2012
...oh man. Of all the different types of Portal fic out there, I think those with an android Wheatley and an aging Chell are the ones that cut me the deepest. But even though this particular iteration was incredibly painful to read, it was also incredibly beautiful and sweet and somehow more satisfying than any other I've read. What I love most about this story is that it is so purposeful in the way it's constructed. Each line has some tiny detail, some turn of phrase that hurts and then heals the wound it caused, because their story is both happy and sad. And like so much of your work, it speaks volumes with relatively few words, and with a sincerity in its narration that is truly rare to find. Thank you for sharing this.
Dude chapter 1 . 3/23/2012
Absolutely loved this series of one shots. Keep up the awesome work!
msfcatlover chapter 4 . 3/15/2012
Adorable! I'll be in my fangirl corner, if anyone needs me.
reverse-mermaid chapter 2 . 3/8/2012
HEY LOOK IT'S UNIT I have a whole lot of love for this little piece.

This passage is my favourite: "All the while something grows between them, a hot, aching hunger that food can't fill, a burning in the blood when they look at each other. They both know it's there, they both know that they both feel it, but they don't talk about it. One of them can't and one of them can't find the words."

I'm just kind of overwhelmed by the turn of phrase there. "A burning in the blood" as a description is the most perfect thing, and the idea that it's something even Wheatley can't find the words for makes me go all gooey. You conjure up this image of months of fleeting glances and touches and blushes without explicitly stating any of it and that just makes me all melty.

And how the hell do you manage to write great sex without even writing it?

I think what I'm getting at here is that I love how well you manage to write implication - you don't need to state the months of build up because it's right THERE, between the lines.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to post next. :D
reverse-mermaid chapter 1 . 3/8/2012
This one still tugs at my damn heartstrings. It did it the first time, and the time after that, and the time after that, and it hasn't lost any of its potency with re-readings.

The idea that he wouldn't really realize she was aging until it became physically obvious, or that he named the town after her, or that he thinks of the town as partially hers even though she was gone before anyone else arrived... it's just beautiful and touching and sad and oh god my FEELINGS. It really is one of those fics you love and hate to read at the same time... Goddamn it Lacey. YOU ARE A WIZARD.
Illustrator626 chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
I should probably be doing my own homework as well, not looking at the newest Portal stories. But...I regret nothing. BI This story doesn't disappoint, concerning the scenario it's centered on and takes a different turn on it, which is good to see. The execution of this one-shot is really nice and again; fresh. I like the reference to the Cara Mia-naming the town Ciel in particular, that was a really good touch. So yeah, excellent job.
msfcatlover chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
*wipes eyes quickly* I'm not tearing up! I'm not!

Poor Wheatley...
Nautical Acronym chapter 1 . 3/7/2012
There are few (if any) stories about what would happen to Wheatley after Chell's death and this was more than satisfying to read. It was sweet and sad, but hopeful too in that Wheatley is going about his life; still interacting with people, going to parties, celebrating life. But it's the remembering part that makes this so special. I really like how you describe his reaction to her aging and his sense that something that should be permanent just wasn't.

My only qualm with this story is that the end just seems like a stop; like there isn't enough 'Umph' in the last line. Do you know what I mean? However, other than that it is delightful and I look forward to future chapters!

Thank you so much for posting!