Reviews for Wednesday's Child
Madilayn chapter 1 . 5/19
Fantastic! An amazingly moving piece that really gave you into an insight into Virgil and not only what is the true centre of his world, but also how we see the bond between Scott and Virgil.

And really, howe much of a bastard that Jeff Tracy is. Security risk indeed!
GinnyStar chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
This was great, just what I needed, I can feel for Virgil for I had my arm go numb, it much better than it was, but good see that. Thank You for sharing this
quiller chapter 1 . 3/10/2012
I liked this story when I read it in the challenge. I see you've made a few tweaks, but you still need to add some commas where characters are being addressed in a sentence.

e.g.'I'm here (comma) Gordon' and 'Morning (comma) Sunshine'.
Tikatu chapter 1 . 3/9/2012
"He couldn't feel his hand."

My heart just dropped when I read this. I had visions of it being smashed under the rock and Virgil going through tons of angst at its reconstruction (or, worse yet, amputation).

But you spared me that. Whew! (wipes forehead dramatically)

I enjoyed the story with its look inside Virgil's head as he thinks on how much his hands mean to him. I also liked the bargains he made with God - now he has to throw out that smoking jacket and that smock and stop teasing Grandma with them!

Thanks so much for posting!
thunderbird5 chapter 1 . 3/9/2012
You know. I think it would be my greatest fear to. I use my hands to read, work on the computer, work with my guide dog and do everyday things. I use to play the piano to. If something would have happened to my hands. Well, i have no idea how i would react. Going blind conpleatly is my greatest fear. As each year pass i can see that there is some things that i can't see or do any more. I know that in a few years time my greatest fear would come true. Not been able to see a thing. Not been able to see my dog play with the cat. Not been able to see my big brother walking to his car or play with my dog. To only hear him do that. Not been able to look at something and say: Wow, would you look at that. Not been able to see my mother, father and the rest of the family. So yes, i know how Virgil felt. Lucky for him. He could use his hand again. Unlucky for me. My eyes can't be fixt. So i can only watch helplessly as the last of my eyesite slips away from me every year bit by bit. Reminding me of what is to come. Until darkness claims my world for the rest of my life. However thanks to the boys i have something to hang on to. Also those words they use. Never give up at any cost. So no matter what. I'll live my life and do what i do best.
JoTracy123 chapter 1 . 3/9/2012
Hey now this was really good. i really think that you wrote Virgil here really well along with the rest of the brothers. great job xx
blue peanut m and m chapter 1 . 3/8/2012
Firstly I have to say thank you for writing a Virgil story, there truly aren't enough of them out there.

Secondly, what a brilliant story, loved every word.

Apart from losing a member of his family, you really do believe that losing an hand/arm, would be Virgil's biggest fear.

Thanks again for posting,

Peanut x
mcj chapter 1 . 3/8/2012
Fabreader,

It was great to see you make some changes to your original draft. It reads much better now!

One of the things I like the most about this story is how you reverse the usual expectation of the reader to climax the main action at the end. In this story you gave it to us at the very beginning. I really like stories that are unique and authors who write outside the square.

We enter the story with Virgil in real trouble and whilst things don't really get any better for him until the end, it is a good read dealing with his thought processes as he struggles to cope with his greatest fear - the loss of use of his hand.

I have to say at this point that I really like Sally - a nurse with an apparent dry disposition and a glint of Aussie humour. You also obviously know your stuff when it comes to the medical background. I was particularly taken with the use of the whistle. I even felt a little breathless feeling what Virg might be going through.

My favourite part of the story, however, is the lovely scene you wrote at the end that included Grandma drifting off to sleep That image plus the one visualising Virgil waiting to see if Jeff would let him go out again was a lovely piece of work.

Congratulations on gaining so many votes in the challenge.

yours

mcj
TB's LMC chapter 1 . 3/8/2012
The only thing I wish you had done, was go ahead and explain the Wednesday's Child reference within the story itself rather than as a footnote, especially after calling the story that and taking the time to have Virgil and Scott tell each other they didn't know what that was. It would've been a nice way to round everything out, and for those readers who don't know what Wednesday's Child is supposed to be within the nursery rhyme, would have explained the reference to them as well.

But quite honestly, other than that, I thought it was a very realistic story, well-written and well-characterized. Good on you!
Chrysexanthe chapter 1 . 3/8/2012
Great story!

Loved it the first time, second time & now the third :-D

It was intense, gritty and realistic. Loved your attention to detail.

You really got into Virgil's head here, bringing across his thoughts and his emotions very clearly.

Well done! :-)