Reviews for The Fourth Option
jadeblack2890 chapter 32 . 2/1/2023
This was a good read and it felt like the conclusion we never got from the games. Oh man Garrus at the bar in heaven waiting for a atheist Shepard, I just wanted to roll over and cry when I heard that.
Ryan chapter 32 . 6/30/2022
Very interesting, and definitely worth a read.
SanjarN7 chapter 11 . 11/12/2020
I don't like how disrespectful Hackett is to Shepard here. Shepard is the selfless hero three times over - the entire galaxy should be kissing his backside right now, not giving him ultimatums about simple stuff. Shepard could run for President, or Councillor, or even something like Emperor, and everybody would vote for him! This childish treatment is ridiculous. Love the Chakwas and Joker scenes though!

Also, I just can't see Miranda choosing to join the Alliance that easily... I guess she always believed in the pro-human ideals of Cerberus, and now that Cerberus is gone, the only organization representing those values is the Alliance.

But still, I see her more as in independent contractor type, a freelancer. She'd be more likely to start her own organization than join the government. One of the perks of Cerberus was that there was no bureaucracy - "Oh, you have a good idea? Here's the funding, go do it and get results." Miranda could start essentially Cerberus 2.0 that has all the original goals of advancing the interests of humans, but with greatly-reformed methods (i.e. no torture, murder, war crimes, etc.) and probably involves alien partnership, so she's benefiting humans and non-humans alike.

Better yet, what if she partnered with Liara to form a charity organization to drive private sector rebuilding efforts across the galaxy? Something like:
- Miranda: Chief Executive
- Liara: intel, analytics/logistics
- Shepard: operations, government liaison

In ME2 when Liara took over the Shadow Broker network, she turned all of its efforts toward helping Shepard prepare the galaxy for the Reapers, b/c that was what was most needed. Through the war, she lost a lot of contacts, but NOW what does the galaxy need? Rebuilding, unity, mutual cooperation. How can the Normandy team work together to accomplish this - as a private organization, not through the human government?

THAT would be an interesting creative challenge. I'm just riffing here on this idea, b/c I don't think Miranda would just fall in line in Alliance blues. She's too good to be restrained with cumbersome procedure. As soon as someone dumber than her gives her stupid orders, she'll refuse to follow them and will solve the problem faster and cheaper her own way. It's not a good fit.

If anyone runs with this idea and writes a story about it, please contact me so I can read it and enjoy it!
SanjarN7 chapter 9 . 11/12/2020
I regularly play the ME3 Multiplayer - it's still very active all these years later! I'm not sure if you even check these messages, but if you're ever up for a game, let me know. Every one of the Turian characters is very solid.
SanjarN7 chapter 8 . 11/12/2020
I'm confused here... is Shepard agreeing to keep his true thoughts to himself? "I'll keep it to myself..." Is he willingly silencing himself in order to please the Alliance command and be a good poster boy? And Miranda is trying to domesticate him, as if she cares about shirts and sock drawers?

No way. That's out of character. He speaks up and asserts the truth no matter the cost. Shepard is his own man and no one can pull him off course. And Miranda doesn't waste mental energy on anything beneath her.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this... but this attitude of compromising core attributes is starting to really irk me.
SanjarN7 chapter 5 . 11/11/2020
What? Now Miranda is gonna help Hackett manipulate Shepard into working more against his wishes? I can appreciate an argument for him to stay in the loop to ensure that his sacrifices weren't wasted by the immediate government/society, and he and Miranda do need to discuss what kind of future they want together, but jeez, let the man be. If he says he's done, then let him make his own decision. Has he not earned some respect?

Rest in peace, old friend. I'll see you at the bar.
SanjarN7 chapter 4 . 11/11/2020
I don't believe that Hackett would be that hard on him: "you have a duty to the Alliance" - No. Any other Admiral maybe, the Council maybe, but Hackett was working with Shepard since the beginning of ME1, they go way back, and he wouldn't speak to him like that. He might ask nicely for Shep to stay around for a while, but no one has any right to demand anything more of Shepard after all he's given in successfully stopping the Reapers.

I've started to mourn Garrus and Ashley along with your Shepard, and now you're opening the door to them being alive? I don't like being toyed with for cheap thrills... if you were going to bring them back, you should have left a clue for Shepard to find when he investigated the site of their death.

But yes, Garrus is the man. Have you seen that Youtube video someone made called something like "Garrus ascends to Godhood"? Basically, in ME3 if you equip Garrus with the N7 Typhoon assault rifle, AP ammo, and all the weapon damage upgrades, you can get him something like 220% extra assault rifle damage, and with the high rate of fire on the Typhoon, he just chews through banshees on Insanity in seconds flat - the time it takes to recharge your shields. He literally is the God of War!
SanjarN7 chapter 2 . 11/11/2020
"what can I do?"
"you can change the color of the explosion."

ahahaha yeah pretty much!
PatheticJoker chapter 32 . 11/16/2019
Thought this could use a post from 2019. Thanks for this story, it was a good read and the dynamic between Hannah Shepard and Miranda was excellent. Also loved reading something where Shepard is as jaded as his circumstances warrant him to be. Thanks again!
LyssaTerald chapter 4 . 12/23/2018
How about this, "Alliance," *snarls*. I have gone through hell and back for you lot these last years. I have suffered the loss of miscarriages, the loss of many loved ones, the loss of patients under my hands and care and you don't get to ask Shep for more. Because FUCK you! You don't. My pain is mendable compared to Shep's and you go through me!

Sorry. Long year, bad year, etc. I curled into Shep and this story is making me curl tighter into protective mod of him/her. I will mend. Will Shep?
Vivaldi's Winter chapter 21 . 5/28/2018
The first movement is excellent and I feel the need to thank you for promoting it.
ForgottenPrince chapter 32 . 5/29/2017
Absolutely loved it, and the ending.
ZentangledFox15 chapter 5 . 4/8/2017
Dang it.
TenchiSolutionsForAll chapter 5 . 3/26/2017
Just starting to read the story and I'm wondering, where is the multi-chapter arc on Ashley? If memory serves, she was there even before Garrus. Yes the game makers turned her into a paranoid who doesn't listen to Shepard in 2, but she arguably grew the most over the course of the three games as a character and was there at the end. Yet, Shepard has spent this entire first 5 chapters worried over Garrus and Ashley basically gets an, "Oh yeah, Ash was there to, I guess she's dead."
galpinre chapter 32 . 3/16/2016
Wow, great story - caused a few sniffles and tears ... thank you for your time and great writing skills.