Reviews for The HalfBlood Prince
ConsultingTimeLordIn221B chapter 20 . 3/12/2013
Nice chapter! I like the different POVs :D I hope you do the same for the next one!
Isabella248 chapter 20 . 3/11/2013
You certainly don't disappoint when it comes to drawing out the suspense, frustration, anger, turmoil and angst that both Severus and Lily must be feeling regarding their ill-fated friendship and love: all through this chapter, I could feel my heart throbbing for both of their pain and sadness at the separation that is now, to their complete knowledge, permanent. If I said it once, I probably said it a thousand times: I am so happy to have discovered your story that is the first to have fleshed out Lily's character completely and portrayed her and Severus's relationship in a way that certainly had never been done before, while still remaining in canon with the original Harry Potter storyline.

The first part with Severus's thoughts were almost exactly as how I imagined them to be: I felt sad for him all throughout this chapter, for he knows that Lily doesn't trust him and that even if he had wanted to, he couldn't salvage the relationship if he couldn't completely give up Voldemort and the Dark Arts. There's also the fact that he realizes something must've happened to have changed Lily's viewpoint on James and that he has to constantly worry about what can occur between them-I'm very anxious on how you're going to write his reactions when Lily and James start dating (it was in the seventh year it happened, right?). Nevertheless, when it came to the part where he taunted James, I was reminded of why I can't completely like him: Severus can be infuriating that I lose my compassion for him.

With Lily's thoughts, let me say first that I'm glad that you included them in this chapter, 'cause it would've driven me crazy if I had to wait for the next chapter to read her viewpoint on the last two months of her sixth year after she told Severus to stay away from her. I'm glad that Lily realizes exactly how much Severus has endured to protect her from Voldemort, and that she recognizes the courage and love he has for her that made it possible for him to endure Voldemort's presence, and that Voldemort's knowledge of their Combined Magic came from the combined forces of coincidental timing and location, and not Severus himself. All of this, coupled with the fact that they kissed in the cave, must've made it all the more heartbreaking for her to ask him to stay away from her, because she realizes she isn't strong enough to do it herself. Again, I can't help but be amazed at how well you portrayed her character, that you made her as real a person as every other Harry Potter character.

I'm very, very, very excited and hopeful that the next update will come up soon, for three reasons: I'm hoping that we will be given insight into what exactly Magus had told her that has her disturbed, 'cause I'm thinking that must be part of the reason she was so pale and withdrawn all those weeks; I'm curious at how you're going to portray James now that he's somewhat closer to Lily and maturing; and I'm wondering at how you're going to go about laying the foundations for Lily and James getting close to the point of dating, and if/when James is going to get told about the prophecy, or if he will realize exactly how Lily feels for Severus (if that happens, it's a wonder how he will cope and how much harm that will do to their new-found closeness). There are so many scenarios playing in my head on how you will accomplish this particular task that it's only making me more anxious. I just can't wait for what you have planned for this story.

Of course I can't hope for an early update but I will check in regularly and faithfully to see when your next chapter appears. Bravo on this wonderful, angst-filling chapter, and bravo to their creative writing abilities that made it possible to love this story. :)
snickerdoodle10201 chapter 20 . 3/11/2013
Great chapter - I really enjoyed that we got both Lily and Sev's perspectives on the last two months of sixth year. Looking forward to finding out what Magus told Lily that caused her such disquiet... and also what happens during her week in Dorset!
Saint Snape chapter 20 . 3/11/2013
Ugh, why can't Lily's friends just leave it be? James doesn't need any help. He is puffed up enough to work on Lily on his own.

Nice to see Lily does recognize what all Severus has done for her. I just wish she would tell him. I wish he wouldn't give up too. :(
trinculolo chapter 19 . 2/23/2013
Awesome chapter, as usual.
I love this chapter, its so interesting and different from what has happened in the previous chapter.
Congratulations Lucius and Narcissa! I love how the Dark Lord came in and silenced the room, i wonder where he got that ooccamy egg?
Not to mention, I like how Regulus starts the "Half-Blood Prince" rumor to help Severus get a girl.
It was also very interesting to see how Severus understood Narcissa's problem in a second. I hope she'll be alright.
snickerdoodle10201 chapter 19 . 2/18/2013
Very intriguing chapter - particularly that hint at the end about the previous two months at Hogwarts being "surreal"... I'm hoping we'll find out more about that in the next installment! Nice change of POV also partway through the chapter it was very fluid. The society gossip helped contextualize the wedding and the Voldemort cameo was great for further developing Sev's status in that circle. Well done as always!
Mari83 chapter 19 . 2/17/2013
Masterful chapter! I love how you zoom in from the description of Malfoy Manor, the chapel and family history (love all the rich details) to the figure of Severus as observed by others and finally his thoughts. It really bring out his aspirations and in-between position, on the one hand standing back and observing, uneasy with this society that doesn't really accept him, yet craving their approval, craving to be recognized – as Voldemort then does.

"An Occamy egg was a rare and beautiful thing, for apart from its symbolism, and the intrinsic value of the pure silver of its shell, it had magical properties derived from the exotic beast that produced it."
Love details like this.

'You were always a prankster, Hubert – but you didn't steal that basilisk-skin: our old Prefect, Tom, gave it to you.'
'Well I always assumed it was stolen. Tom always had a knack of ...uh ...finding these really weird things, but he couldn't have bought anything: the chap was an orphan! Brilliant, but no money and no real family connections. I wonder what happened to him?'
'Some say he was killed, others that he went abroad...I don't know. Anyway, I was telling you about my brother...'
So clueless and even if they knew they wouldn't (want to) believe.

'Exactly. Sirius didn't want to come to his cousin's wedding. That's what started it. Apparently, he heard Narcissa and her betrothed had invited the Dark Lord. I'm afraid my nephew's mind has been poisoned by the bloodtraitors and mudbloods he associates with.'
Nice way to tie in Sirius break with his family. Also love the bit about Alphard.

" along the wide, imposing flight of steps that led to the manor door, where old suits of armour worn by Malfoy ancestors and emblazoned with the family coat-of-arms, stood at attention, swords raised to salute the bride and groom."
That is just over the top. And perfectly fitting of their overblown sense of grandeur.

'Why are you complaining, Severus? The Half-Blood Prince is a title with just the right touch of transgressive mystique that makes witches go wild to know more...'
'And you think I'd appreciate that because...?'
'Oh, come on – these girls have a lot to recommend them... they're pureblood, attractive- '
'They're mostly old gossips with nothing better to do than perpetuate stupid rumours like yours...'
Very nice contrast of Regulus rich boy nonchalance and Severus serious tenseness..

"For some strange reason, Narcissa behaved differently towards him than she did towards others – even though he was a half-blood whose house would barely make the grade as a tool- shed on her new estates. Severus thought he'd seen a silent plea in Narcissa's eyes. He didn't know what to make of that, and he could not do or say anything to reassure her. "

Love all the undercurrents and expectations under the shiny surface, the reproductive pressure on Narcissa and her silent communication with Severus.
ConsultingTimeLordIn221B chapter 19 . 2/16/2013
Great chapter! What month does this take place in though? Is it now the summer after their sixth year?
Saint Snape chapter 19 . 2/16/2013
Poor Severus, this was just a reminder of what he can't have with Lily. Narcissa was smart to befriend Severus. If anyone can help her he can.
DuchessofSomar chapter 19 . 2/16/2013
my heart breaks for severus every time i read a new chapter. and the description you wrote for the occamy egg was AMAZING. makes me wish i could see something like what you illustrated with words in real life. haha sure sounds expensive XD
Reyem chapter 19 . 2/16/2013
What a wonderful chapter. I love how you tied in the people that we only recognized by name. I am always amazed at the intricate design and writing of characters that really haven't had a major place in JK's plot line. You make them so realistic.
Arazadia chapter 19 . 2/15/2013
Such a haunting, beautiful chapter! I have to say, I find the relationship between Severus and Narcissa endlessly compelling and fascinating. They have unimaginably different upbringings, skills, and roles but there is an odd understanding between them and some shared sense of identity. I hope we keep seeing them interact.
Osced chapter 19 . 2/15/2013
Interesting chapter, it really developed the idea of Severus being important, with Voldermort acknowledging him and that he was invited to the wedding. I like how you got the story of Sirius running away into this chapter without making it out of place. It's still obvious how much Severus loves Lily, but now he really knows it will never happens something between them. Only missed learning about what Lily is doing in the summer.

/Osced
Guest chapter 18 . 2/1/2013
NOOOOO SO SAD! :( :( Great chapter, even though I'm crying now
Mari83 chapter 18 . 1/29/2013
Yet another painful parting. We'll see how long it will last this time – you have them drifting apart but also keeping drifting back to each other. I'm glad that at least everything is out in the open now and they had a conversation not based on hidden plans and emotions.

'Where's your Prefect?' he barked at the little ones.
'She's not our Prefect,' piped up one little boy with a shock of carrot-red hair, 'We're Ravenclaws!'
'I don't care if you're Cornish Pixies!' Severus growled 'Where is she?'
Ah, future Professor Snape emerging.
264 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »